Wales v Australia: final try

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Interestingly it's arguably legal to do this if they wait until the ball is thrown (as long as the ball eventually surpasses the 15-meter line).

18.34:
Once the ball has been thrown, a lineout player may move beyond the 15-metre line. If the ball does not go beyond the 15-metre line, the player must immediately return to the lineout.

I'm sure most referees wouldn't be keen on it though and would blow it up. But if allowed, perhaps there's some potentially advantageous play there for intentionally over-throwing the lineout.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Interestingly it's arguably legal to do this if they wait until the ball is thrown (as long as the ball eventually surpasses the 15-meter line).

18.34:

I'm sure most referees wouldn't be keen on it though and would blow it up. But if allowed, perhaps there's some potentially advantageous play there for intentionally over-throwing the lineout.

In theory, the further you can throw (and secure) the ball from the touchline, the greater the attacking options you have because (1) you can break left or right, and (2) a driving maul is safe from being pushed into touch.

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
In theory, the further you can throw (and secure) the ball from the touchline, the greater the attacking options you have because (1) you can break left or right, and (2) a driving maul is safe from being pushed into touch.
Good points. And better opportunity to dot it down closer to the center of the pitch if you score right off of it. Just gotta have good timing and faith in your throwers hands to keep it straight the first 15m lol.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Justification in Law?
I'm sure they can speak for themselves but I presume they mean after the ball has passed 15m line the LO is over so irrelevant where the ball goes after that!

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I'm sure they can speak for themselves but I presume they mean after the ball has passed 15m line the LO is over so irrelevant where the ball goes after that!
Yes and the fact that the thrower has to ensure it's still a straight throw in the lineout itself up until it surpasses the 15m mark.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
A philosophical question that we may have addressed before. The ball has be be thrown straight a minimum of 5M If you amalgamate the applicable laws. The laws don’t mention how far it has to be thrown straight. Should we penalise if the ball is thrown straight for 9 metres and then the wind blows it off course?
At a forward pass as long as it is passed back if the wind then blows it obviously forward we would play on wouldn’t we?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
A philosophical question that we may have addressed before. The ball has be be thrown straight a minimum of 5M If you amalgamate the applicable laws. The laws don’t mention how far it has to be thrown straight. Should we penalise if the ball is thrown straight for 9 metres and then the wind blows it off course?
At a forward pass as long as it is passed back if the wind then blows it obviously forward we would play on wouldn’t we?
Or in a game I refereed just yesterday with a howling wind blowing along the pitch and the ball was thrown at an angle into the wind to arrive at the jumper at a pretty much perfectly central point......should that be penalised?

I certainly didn't and all the forwards were amazed and happy to play on.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Or in a game I refereed just yesterday with a howling wind blowing along the pitch and the ball was thrown at an angle into the wind to arrive at the jumper at a pretty much perfectly central point......should that be penalised?

I certainly didn't and all the forwards were amazed and happy to play on.
That sort of skill should be rewarded (or not penalised!)

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I'm not entirely convinced I interpret the laws to say that the ball needs to be straight a minimum of 5M... however, 18.23.a merely says "the ball must be thrown in straight along the mark of touch"... I've not thought about this before, but I don't see why you can't regard this similar to a normal pass and therefore ignore the effect of wind provided the initial throw was straight... can spin on the ball curve the ball's flight like a torpedo kick? Would this be considered a straight throw?

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I'm not entirely convinced I interpret the laws to say that the ball needs to be straight a minimum of 5M... however, 18.23.a merely says "the ball must be thrown in straight along the mark of touch"... I've not thought about this before, but I don't see why you can't regard this similar to a normal pass and therefore ignore the effect of wind provided the initial throw was straight... can spin on the ball curve the ball's flight like a torpedo kick? Would this be considered a straight throw?
You can be penalised if it doesn’t reach 5M.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
IMO this law is to allow for a contest when the ball is played. Therefore I'd expect the thrower to allow for the wind

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
IMO this law is to allow for a contest when the ball is played. Therefore I'd expect the thrower to allow for the wind
Not much of a contest if the thrower totally bypasses the 1st defensive pod/ jumper on the 'crooked' side and gains a clear advantage!

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I have many games where there is a howling wind straight down the pitch which makes the line out a lottery. I always tell teams if it goes over the 5M line straight, we Play on no matter where the wind takes it. I will usually call play on.

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I have many games where there is a howling wind straight down the pitch which makes the line out a lottery. I always tell teams if it goes over the 5M line straight, we Play on no matter where the wind takes it. I will usually call play on.
Woah, this is all news to me. My interpretation (and how I've seen it called by a multitude of refs in my region) has always been it has to remain straight "in the lineout" which I've taken to mean the entirety between the start of the throw and 15-meter mark at the end of the lineout.

The general global consensus is otherwise?