Warburton Red Card - IRB Directive

Boesman

Facebook Member
Post Likes
And I thought the South African supporters were hysterical?
RC all the way, other refs not giving RC’s should be punished; this kind of tackle is dangerous and should be stamped out.
I was told by a mom (not a rugby fan) who watched the game with friends, that she would never allow her son to take part in rugby.... after she saw this tackle.

Darryl Godden

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I think it's an unfortunate tackle.

The weight of the player takes him over to the side.

I hope you do not get your wish. Rugby has been watered down over the years, so much so from meddling that rucks are poorly contested, the scrum is a song and a dance. If the IRB want rugby to be risk free, change it to touch and those that want to play rugby will split.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think it's an unfortunate tackle.

The weight of the player takes him over to the side.

I hope you do not get your wish. Rugby has been watered down over the years, so much so from meddling that rucks are poorly contested, the scrum is a song and a dance. If the IRB want rugby to be risk free, change it to touch and those that want to play rugby will split.

So you don't see Ioane as in any way culpable for the the injury to Laulala, and you don't think the tackle was dangerous.

Darryl Godden

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
So you don't see Ioane as in any way culpable for the the injury to Laulala, and you don't think the tackle was dangerous.

No I do not.

He hooks his thighs, lifts for the drive, the players weight takes him over to the side. Ones he's reached the tipping point, you'd need Herculean strength to righten him.

We can play this game all day. As stated, if the IRB want rugby to be risk free, change it to touch. My opinion is the IRB are trying to implement total control in large fellas colliding at speed. There are obvious offences which are easily categorised and penalised, the easiest are high or charges, a chap trying to tackle and drive is going to come a cropper under this law.

If it is punished a la AR we're going to see lots of red in upcoming seasons.

I qualify my statement with this remark, if someone was deliberately targeted like BoD then yes, the full force of the law should be applied.

Darryl Godden

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Can I just add. Do you seriously believe someone tackles a player with the intention of breaking his neck?

I've wanted to knock some people into yesterday, but I would have been gutted if I'd caused someone injury by going too far.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
My opinion is the IRB are trying to implement total control in large fellas colliding at speed. T.

none of these tip tackles happen from colliding at speed.
every single video on the site so far have seen the tackler standing still, and lifting.
Indeed I'd say it's impossible to lift a 100kg rugby player unless you have both feet planted firmly on the ground.

In a collision at speed, certainly one player may end up going arse over tit and landing headfirst, but that's not going to lifting and dropping is it.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Can I just add. Do you seriously believe someone tackles a player with the intention of breaking his neck?

I.

perhaps not to break his neck, but I think mealamu and umaga were deliberately attempting to injure O'Driscoll - don't you?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't know about Joubert, I missed the 5 crucial minutes. The other refs were wrong as per the suspensions handed out at disciplinaries.

I have dealt with the argument of "refs always apply discretion": there is a major difference between applying some technical laws liberally and directly ignoring an explicit directive which deals with dangerous play.

OK then - there are two facts here. 1. Rolland made a call that was technically on the money. 2. The call is viewed as controversial by a lot of people because it was not consistent with other decisions in this tournament, and because they are Welsh. These are facts and they are not reconcilable. The game is not best served by taking either on it's own. Simply saying Rolland was right and leaving it there does nothing in terms of improving the game. In a situation where the majority of tip tackle decisions in the tournament were wrong shouldn't everyone actually be looking at why they were wrong instead of waving a memo around on the one occasion where the ref was right?
They were wrong because they didn't apply the memo, which represents the agreed requirements of the iRB Council.

And I have been a police officer for over 20 years at the sharp end where legalistic interpretations of the 'word' written in sterile unrealistic rooms are tested and implemented - at the time and not with the benifit of hindsight. Are you saying that 'should' does not allow discretion?
No regulation forced Rolland to show red, it was his discretionary choice.
Are you suggesting that because I am Welsh that I am viewing this from a bias view?
If so your suggestion would imply that a person from a French family would view things similarly.
Now please, do not quote reams of legal mumbo jumbo to enforce your 'argument', keep it for the courts. We are talking about sport not criminal law.
Exactly. Sporting laws are not drafted with the same care and attention as juridical laws, because if they were no-one apart from lawyers would understand them. it is meaningless to hold sporting rules to a courtroom standard.

Then why did the 6 other spear or tip tackle incidents in the tournement pass by without a red card?

Monsieur Rolland was the only ref to issue a red for this, so absolute, infringement.

IRB, get a grip and clear this mess up so an injustice like this must not (no not should not) happen again. Start with the nationality of the ref!
The ref is Irish. He played rugby for Ireland. He was born in Dublin and has lived there all his life, except for a brief stint in the English midlands. Those who want to get all legalistic should be very, very careful they understand the laws of libel better than they understand the laws of rugby.

OK, I've kept out of this so far, because the level of debate is so lamentably below the standard we normally get, being (understandably) affected by posters who are (and freely admit to being) biased against the decision either by nationality or by hopes for a proper challenge to the NZ march to the trophy. This is my view:

There have not been six unpunished tip tackles; there have been three, which went unpunished on the field but punished after the event. An on-field indiscretion can only be referred by the citing commissioner if the later considers that it was potentially a red card offence that was missed, or undervalued, by the referee. Two of these cases were due to a single referee (Steve Walsh) deciding that his own judgement was preferable to that of the iRB - i.e. he went with the views of the dissenting posters on here, and the ignorant drivel spouted by ITV's diabolically uninformed commentariat, to the effect that it wasn't even a PK, let alone a YC. As a result of this poor officiating (for which he has been torn off a strip in the two disciplinaries), he got no further than the quarter finals, and can expect his attitude to be deleterious to the standard of his future gigs - at least until he can demonstrate that he can overcome his ego and accept the decisions of higher authority. The third was Rolland himself - and it was an off-the-ball tackle behind his back, cited and punished through the normal procedures.

I hope we'd all expect that the semi-final and final referees are the best of the bunch. To therefore demand that they continue the recognised errors of their lower-level colleagues seems bizarre; if you really want low-grade referees in the latter stages, or higher-grade referees to officate to low-grade standards, please lobby for that to the iRB - and good luck!

Rightly or wrongly, the iRB has taken medical advice and determined that there is a serious risk to the spine if the weight of a professional rugby player is dropped upon the upper vertebrae. I'm not qualified to assess whether this risk is overstated, but given that it has been foreseen, the dissenters seem to be saying that the interests of the game are best served by waiting until a player is paralysed, issung a life ban to the player who committed the minor PK offence by dropping the victim, and then carrying on as though nothing had happened. I challenge them to ask whether, if it was their son spending the rest of his life in the wheelchair, they'd shrug their shoulders, say that it's in the best interests of the game that no-one gets sued to support the lad's unfortunately future existence, and then return to baying for referees to be punished if they try to stamp out the dangerous practices because it ruins their viewing pleasure.

In the quarter finals, we had a referee castigated for allowing a free-for-all because he was like a rabbit in the headlights, too scared to make the big decisions. Now in the semi finals we have a referee castigated for correctly enforcing agreed safety protocols in the manner that has been recognised since 2009 at least. The dissenters probably don't know that the iRB laws were changed in 2010 because elite refs had been bottling the decision; they took the view that if the ball carrier managed to break his fall with an arm, then he didn't land on his shoulder or upper back. To counter that, the law was changed. The iRB website noted at the time:
Council Amends Spear Tackle Law The IRB Council has reinforced its zero-tolerance stance towards all dangerous tackles by approving an amendment to the Law relating to the spear tackle.

An amendment to Law 10.4(j) has been approved to recognise the defensive actions of the tackled player when the arms are outstretched to break a fall and to further ensure the consistency of application of the appropriate sanction for offending players.

The amended Law 10.4(j) will now read: Lifting a player from the ground and dropping or driving that player into the ground whilst that player’s feet are still off the ground such that the player’s head and/or upper body come into contact with the ground is dangerous play.

The amended Law will operate globally from December 1, 2010

It's unfortunate that most people don't keep themselves current with the lasws of the game they follow. It's even more unfortunate that the category of "most people" includes ex-international players who are paid by broadcasters to inform their viewers about the confusing details of the game. Fortunately for all concerned, the list of "most people" does not include competent refs (Steve Walsh excluded), so mothers can be assured that little Johhny will continue to be protected, even if the majority of players committing foul play have no more idea of why they are being banned than has Francois Piennar or Lawrence Dallaglio.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Personally, I think it's you who has a problem with reading. I've never denied lifting, but the lifting comes as part of the move to drive the player back.

Commonly referred to as a great tackle:

Under the directive, shouldn't this have been red? I guess not, because the England player arrests his fall with an arm, but nothing Henson did controls the fall.

It was never going to be a RC - it was Steve Walsh refereeing!:biggrin:

Mike Selig

Referees in England
Post Likes
. . . . . . and just to complement Ian's last post a few well chosen words from BM :

Elsewhere, zero tolerance is a phrase that has caused trouble. Do you recall the Internationa Rugby Board statement that was supposed to come into effect on Jan 1 2007?

It announced a zero-tolerance policy on crooked feeds to the scrum. It was ignored within days, and although restated periodically, it still is now.

A similar edict on dangerous tackles was issued in November 2009 and because of non-compliance had to be re-issued twice before this World Cup.

Paddy O’Brien, the referees manager, has stated that Alain Rolland’s decision to send off Sam Warburton was “in keeping with the clear instructions that match officials have received in recent years regarding dangerous tackling”.

That may be so, but it was not in keeping with the decisions made by his colleagues in this tournament, who have shown yellow cards after two similar tackles.
This is the problem when you issue edicts that you do not enforce, you put referees and players in invidious positions.

Warburton was culpable for lifting Vincent Clerc off his feet, but, Rolland’s red card, whilst to the letter of the law, did not follow the tournament precedent.

Had he taken more time over the decision and dealt with it as the other tackles there would have been no complaint from anyone. The citing officer could have reviewed the decision and taken any appropriate action.

. . . and so say all of us? :hap:

Sorry Chopper, gotta disagree strongly with BCM on this one. I for one would certainly have complained had Rolland only issued a YC. My instant reaction was "oohh trouble" then when I saw the replay I was screaming for a RC. When the ITV commentators suggested originally that it was only a YC (you know, cos they weren't actually watchingn the events unfold but looking at their TV screen) I was incensed.

The tackle for me was incredibly dangerous, and worse than other spear tackles we've seen at this WC so far.

Also, as has been pointed out, of the previous spears, only TWO were seen by the referee, and it was the same referee (Walsh)! Thus it was not "not in keeping with the decisions made by his colleagueS".

BCM makes a fair point about the feeding at scrums, but I have argued elsewhere a lot that there is a major difference between applying technical laws liberally, and those that deal with dangerous play. Remember safety is our prime concern.

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
Can I just add. Do you seriously believe someone tackles a player with the intention of breaking his neck?.

Not quite break their neck, Darryl . . . just serious enough to put them out for the rest of the game, the *******s.

Darryl Godden

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Damn hit reply before finished.

But surely you can see the difference between the BoD incident and the numerous videos posted over these discussions.

B52 REF

Referees in England
Post Likes
spot on Dixie the only contentious bit being "rightly or wrongly the irb have decided" as i have some sympathy with darryls view -rugby is a contact sport ergo it is dangerous -we as reffs try to make it less so but denying us discretion,zero tolerance edicts etc. don't always help. should we oversanitise it ? No doubt this kerfuffle will mean the directive is reexamined and it would be reviewed anyway before being written into law. Personally i would prefer (and will press for) a law that allows me to use my experience and empathy to adjudge the "dangerous" nature of any tackle and appropiate sanction.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Images of the tackle, just to disprove the bias of those who say it was perfectly legal, not dangerous, a 6" drop etc:

article-0-0E61D2C700000578-448_468x330.jpg

sam-warburton-tackle-pic-getty-918897350.jpg

sam-warburton-tackles-vincent-clerc-869628528.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
No I do not.

He hooks his thighs, lifts for the drive, the players weight takes him over to the side. Ones he's reached the tipping point, you'd need Herculean strength to righten him.

OK, I can see that I am wasting my time with you, because that is a stone cold red card on any rugby field where I have the whistle, and I'll bet that I will get near universal support from any qualified referee on that.

Sker

Post Likes
The commentary and panel discussion in the clip you posted Ian is quite amazing. One of the commentators appeared to be suggesting that it was barely a PK, and none of the 'experts' seemed to even know about the directives.

Simply appalling.
Watching Fritz' and Warburton's red cards is striking. British pundits are quick to back the first decision against the Toulouse player, and react furiously at the second one. French commentaries you can also find on youtube give the oppositive picture. The only one who remains consistent is the referee.
Laporte tried to solve the French perennial issues with referees by inviting one to France trainings. Maybe the medias should do the same.

Darryl Godden

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
OK, I can see that I am wasting my time with you, because that is a stone cold red card on any rugby field where I have the whistle, and I'll bet that I will get near universal support from any qualified referee on that.

Put your teddies back in your cot.

Yes you would implement the law, if the law changes, you would implement that - that is what we're discussing here. Do you need support to discuss a potential bad law?

Boesman

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Not a bad Law.

Good law.

I think most agree. Rugby can and should be played SAFELY, for the enjoyment of all.

Darryl Godden

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
@Boesman

The keyword is potential, that is why it was used. The enjoyment of all, includes those people who may not agree with all the changes the IRB makes.