Was this right?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... If you deemed that the player with the head injury needed a few minutes to compose himself then good on you. Yellow player went off with a damaged calf and therefore was replaced due to injury - ergo no re-admission to the playing enclosure.
This is where I may have ballsed it up Beckett; even though he went off, he wasn't replaced because they didn't have any subs. Ie for a while, they were playing with 14 players.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Then I stand corrected, Simon. I'll check with our youth SRO to see if they have a different protocol. Seems to me that it would be smart to consider it like a blood sub to encourage a proper evaluation without the urgency to get him back on the field.

It has specifically been called out as no-go by USA R below international level. Your SRO can't contract out of that.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
It has specifically been called out as no-go by USA R below international level. Your SRO can't contract out of that.

For youth I think we can but I'm going to check.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'd be much more likely to let a player return after a recovering from a calf injury, than from a head injury.

a player with a calf injury can make his own risk/benefit decision, but a key feature of concussion is that the player himself often doesn't realise he's injured.

Last edited:

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Sooo much easier in :eng: 8 interchanges solves all the problems :wink:

at that level with 15-a-side no subs let um play, if they want 5 mins to recover let um get on with it :shrug: But as has been said, if they are subbed and there's no interchanges once off they stay off unless it's blood/FR etc etc etc etc etc etc

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
If you'd said to the white player no he couldn't return if he had gone off, what would you have done if he had gone and sat in his in-goal area for a few minutes before rejoining the game? Presumably nothing - but he has had his few minutes rest.

as for yellow I guess you are just left forever now ascertaining exactly what the reason is for any player going off. However,as he was clearly in pain, and there was no blood its difficult to see what else it was except an injury. If he needed only a rest he could also have gone and sat in his ingoal area...

didds

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I had an interesting one yesterday, green winning but yellow staging a come back with a couple of tries and 10 minutes to go. Another period of yellow pressure and penalty advantage in 22. Nothing happening but so I come back for the penalty.
Green screaming sir sir head injury.
Ok I say and walk up. To man holding his head.
Are you ok? Give me a minute.
No I'm concerned you may be concussed and will have to go off.
It's ok sir I'm ok let's play on!

Yellow tapped and scored again.
Justice.

Yep , the standard bogus 'head injury' shout as the opposition proceed .... Zzzzzzzzz

You gotta expand your HIA , as it should exceed well beyond merely accepting his denial :wink:. :sarc: