Waybe Barnes Yellow Card Sexton 10

breako

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Tonight in match Ireland play Wales. Sexton makes a try saving tackle using great skill and gets stuck. Not only does he get pinged for not rolling away he gets a YC and it has a major impact on game.

So what are we saying, don't make the skillful tackle Sexton? It was practically impossible for him to roll away.

Anyone else think it was a harsh call?

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Tonight in match Ireland play Wales. Sexton makes a try saving tackle using great skill and gets stuck. Not only does he get pinged for not rolling away he gets a YC and it has a major impact on game.

So what are we saying, don't make the skillful tackle Sexton? It was practically impossible for him to roll away.

Anyone else think it was a harsh call?

Clearly killing the ball, was his view? Nothing clear about it, was my first view. So if it was clear, then you could perhaps agree with his decision.

It did raise an eyebrow from my perspective as a neutral?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Not referring to this particular incident, I only dipped in and out of the game. International players are very adept at getting themselves into a position that they can roll away from. Let's remember that they are coached to slow the ball down . I'd like to see more cards issued for this type of thing. Players will soon learn to tackle and "roll away" instead of tackle and "roll in".

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Not referring to this particular incident, I only dipped in and out of the game. International players are very adept at getting themselves into a position that they can roll away from. Let's remember that they are coached to slow the ball down . I'd like to see more cards issued for this type of thing. Players will soon learn to tackle and "roll away" instead of tackle and "roll in".

100% bang on Pegleg

The responsibility is on the tackler not to get himself into a position where he will be trapped. Too often, I see tacklers making sure they fall on the opponent's side of the tackle (thereby ensuring at least some slowing down of the ball) and then making what can only be described as a Hollywood Production of trying to roll away.

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I too agree with this interpretation. Generally players who end up on the wrong side killing the ball have either put themselves there, or certainly have not done enough to prevent themselves ending up in that position. They have to take some responsibility for where the end up. I know there will be exceptions where momentum, nature of the tackle etc mean you end up on a bad place and cannot get out, but i would say there are many ore instances where players are more than happy to end up on the wrong side, making no effort not to end up there.

It looks harsh but i agree with the decision.

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Totally agree .
Its not the refs fault , tackler got stuck .
In fairness to barnes , a couple times wales players tried to hold tackler in & barnes didnt fall for it .

I did think however he was too lenient at times , as i thought a few penalties could of come welsh way ( as in sure vice versa ) .at tackle / ruck .

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I guess at that level you could say they all do it but in slomo which Wayne didn't have it looked liked a second effort from the Welsh tackled player tied sexton in with no chance of getting out.
I thought early on he could have carded welsh players for cynically killing the ball when Ireland were driving for the line. But just two penalties 6 points instead of 14!

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Christy I agree the referee is only applying the Laws of the game, However ‪for me it was a harsh decision. Make up your own mind ; Short ‬Highlights: Wales 22-9 Ireland. ‪May be better replays in this playlist, unfortunately not available to me this side of the channel.‬

Another "topic" beginning discussed online is his penalty of Green7 for offside at the ruck, when it was a tackle only situation. Sorry I don't have a video clip, due to (stupid) rights restrictions.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes

This. And in this case my immediate reaction was that he'd made an effort to get stuck.

In slow motion, I didn't change my mind. If he'd tried to fall so he could roll away he could have.

breako

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
My concern is that a lot of refs are guessing the tackler could have rolled away. If the tackler gets stuck or bound the split second after the tackle it's very difficult to call that, because he can't move. Are attacking teams making sure he can't move so they get the penalty? That's what it looked like lat night.

So then it comes down to then did the tackler deliberately fall on that side? Well for a front on tackle you could say that but this was a trailing tackle where you are trying to make sure the ball carrier can't reach out and score. So it's very difficult to control where you will land and its an incredible skill to be able to make that tackle.

No way Sexton could have rolled away in that instance and if Barnes wasn't 100% sure, he could have just given penalty and warning. He could have also giving a decent advantage to Wales and see what came from that - but no. Straight to the card. Why not even try and advantage when you are that close to the line.

Wales gave away 3 penalties in strong attacking positions and didn't give one. This for me was the turning point of the match and sorry - thought it wasn't the right call.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
There's nothing wrong with giving a card on the first offence. If you feel it was cynical, you give a card, no warnings or previous penalties necessary.

In in this case he either knew exactly what he was doing, then didn't make much effort to roll away, or he's not actually that skill full and just got lucky (and didn't try to roll away). To me, it's clearly the first situation.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
It makes no difference if the player can roll away or not.
He got himself in a position where he killed the ball a couple of metres from the line.
How he got there or whether he could get away is immaterial.
The fact is he was there and he killed the ball.

You might also wonder how he got himself wrapped round the ball carrier like a snake with his legs lifted up and also wrapped round. That's not a normal tackling position :chin:

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Having played 11 and made lots of trailing tackles I can assure you Green10's body position is a normal tackling position for the bringing ball-carrier to ground.

The tackled player clearly rolls over to lock the tackler in place. Gets right on top of Green10 and spreads his knees so tackler is immobilised. Wales milked the penalty which WB was only too happy to give. We will have to agree to disagree.

Cannot help wondering if the match referee questioned the condition of the playing surface when he discovered the Welsh have over watered the pitch to create wet conditions even though the roof was closed. Clear gamesmanship by the home side.

Last edited:

breako

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
At 22 seconds tackle begin. Sexton grabs him in such a manner so that ball carrier can't reach out after the takle and score - good skills
37-22-1.PNG
Tackle complete, Sextons left arm underneath tackled player
37-23-1.PNG
Immediately after tackle, sexton legs are flying up in the air - is this when he is supposed to roll away?
37-23-2.jpg
Ball Carrier lies on Sexton - so he can't move
32-24-1.jpg
Now he's stuck
37-25.jpg

On that evidence, do you have enough to Yellow Card a player, from a team who I think have only given away one penalty - no way.

That's the moment that turned the match. You should only YC if you are 100% sure. No way Barnes was - he was guessing and guessed wrong.

Last edited:

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Lost cause breako, the majority on this forum are from RFU, they will defend WB tooth and nail. If it was so clear and obvious there would hardly be so much debate about the incident.

In the post match interviews the penalty count was given as 10 -4 (iirc)
The brain fart of Irish player joining the rolling maul in front of the ball carrier Green2 cost us the game. Since the maul was going to end up in the ingoal anyway you could question if the infringement was material. Which defender was obstructed?

Last edited:

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Lost cause breako, the majority on this forum are from RFU, they will defend WB tooth and nail.

Good management! We'll defend him to the hilt an then b*****k him in private!

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Looked at the video now. I see absolutely no attempt or effort by Sexton to move; his legs remain still.

Just because he is stuck doesn't not mean he should not make an effort to move away.

IMO, the YC was a little harsh, but fair.

Lost cause breako, the majority on this forum are from RFU, they will defend WB tooth and nail. If it was so clear and obvious there would hardly be so much debate about the incident.

Are you applying that to me as well. Me, defending WB, really?

Last edited:

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I watched the clip and and right from the get-go I thought Sexton got pinned by the BC and the call was flat out wrong. To compound a bad PK with a card compounded his error.

The BC also has a responsibility to make the ball available and roll away. I don't think the ball was coming out and attacking scrum 5 would be a fair result.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I would have carded Sexton.
Our mantra is loud and clear, "If you fall on that side of the tackle you are playing with fire"

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I don't think we have any shots from WB's side of the action?