Weight Loss Championship (Results Recording Only)

Mickman

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Hi Toby,

So - couple of questions...

Height, age, position you played (when you played), excercise regimen, diet (break it down per meal and frequency), body type (if you know it...ecto, endo or meso)...that should do for a starter ;-)

Stephe

I would love some help/ guidance as well if possible.

Body type: Endomorph (I think- from doing a basic google search and some reading).
Height: 183cm
Weight: 103kg

Position: Front-row (early on in my career) second-row/ back-row (later on after losing a lot of weight - I was 88kg then, 5 years ago)

Exercise regimen: Has dropped a lot lately. But I aim to do this http://my.menshealth.com/workout/The-Spartacus-Workout-2.0/workout-a 2 times a week and only through twice (Tuesday and Thursday), Futsal twice a week (40 minute games, Monday and Wednesday) and 2 games refereeing (Friday night and Saturday).

Diet:
Breakfast - porridge w/ skim milk and honey.
Morning snack - fruit (apple and/ or banana).
Lunch - chicken salad sandwich/ roll (most days) or Pasta salad.
Afternoon snack - nuts (cashew/ almond/ macadamia), yogurt (not always low fat). Maybe fruit again.
Dinner- (probably lets me down a bit) lots of pasta based meals (spaghetti bolognese etc) and often big serving, always try to include at least 2 of the following vegetables, broccoli, fresh carrot, potato, pumpkin, corn.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hi Toby,

So - couple of questions...

Height, age, position you played (when you played), excercise regimen, diet (break it down per meal and frequency), body type (if you know it...ecto, endo or meso)...that should do for a starter ;-)

Stephe

Height 6ft 4 played 2nd / backrow.
exercise cycle 20 miles (1:10ish) 5 days a week
Cycle 40+miles a a weekend

Swim c2 miles every other week

That's the off season

Will do more running/speed work (avoid running outside reffing due to bad knees)

on Season 2 x ref a week cycling 20 miles a day x3-4 times a week.

Body shape no idea other than:

Waist 36-37 inches
Chest 44-66
neck 16.5 - 17

Food
Breakfast
Homemade porridge (1 cup)
Fruit
Skimmed milk Latte

Mid morning Snack Fruit

Lunch

Brown bread sandwich
or Soup and plain bread
+heaps of fruit

Snack PM
Let's me down normally chocolate or other sugerary goodness(nothing else works)
Fruit

Dinner

Meat (mixed with a potatoes or pasta normally + heaps of veges.

Total calories = c2500 - 3200 (depending on how much exercise I've done)

Probally drink 4-5 pints a week normally at the weekend.

Any tips / improvements welcomed.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Date: 4 July
Start: 102.1kg (11 April) Weight Jan 11 114
Last weigh in (28 June) 98
Current: 98kg
Loss/Gain: N/A
Loss % to date: 4.1kg (4% or 18% from Jan 2011 at my heaviest at 114!)

Yet another week no change!

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes

RugbyGeek

Referees in England
Post Likes

Hi Toby,

So let me see if I have this right:
Currently 98kgs, 6ft4 - and have plateaued..

Personally, I think you're being waaaay too hard on yourself....for a big guy, your weight seems fine!

Let's just discuss lean mass as a principle quickly. In essence, muscle weighs a LOT more than fat - and at a quick glance, I'd say your ratio was around 20%, if not less - which is good! (you can confirm this quite easily).

If I was going to make any changes, I'd say get off the bike and get on the road....cycling is OK, but it really doesn't push your heart rate the same way running (or even brisk walking) does....Also try and get some resistance work into your routine - your upper body is just as important as your lower body!

Diet wise- you KNOW where your issue lies - too many empty carbs. If weight really is an issue for you, skip the pints and try water - or sports drinks post workout.

Try and have your main meal during the day, rather than at night, and increase your protein intake and try and lower your carb intake slighly. HOWEVER, CARBS are king - and need to be maintained - especially during the season...

Finally, understand the difference between weight and fitness- they are not necessarily related....if your goal is to be fitter, then we can work on that, if your goal is merely to lose weight, it becomes a diet thing...hope this makes sense and is (in some small way) uselful

I have included a link on the different kinds of hunger - this may prove interesting...

http://www.rugbyfitnesstraining.com...ugby-fitness-training-six-types-of-hunger.htm

Stephe

RugbyGeek

Referees in England
Post Likes
I would love some help/ guidance as well if possible.

Body type: Endomorph (I think- from doing a basic google search and some reading).
Height: 183cm
Weight: 103kg

Position: Front-row (early on in my career) second-row/ back-row (later on after losing a lot of weight - I was 88kg then, 5 years ago)

Exercise regimen: Has dropped a lot lately. But I aim to do this http://my.menshealth.com/workout/The-Spartacus-Workout-2.0/workout-a 2 times a week and only through twice (Tuesday and Thursday), Futsal twice a week (40 minute games, Monday and Wednesday) and 2 games refereeing (Friday night and Saturday).

Diet:
Breakfast - porridge w/ skim milk and honey.
Morning snack - fruit (apple and/ or banana).
Lunch - chicken salad sandwich/ roll (most days) or Pasta salad.
Afternoon snack - nuts (cashew/ almond/ macadamia), yogurt (not always low fat). Maybe fruit again.
Dinner- (probably lets me down a bit) lots of pasta based meals (spaghetti bolognese etc) and often big serving, always try to include at least 2 of the following vegetables, broccoli, fresh carrot, potato, pumpkin, corn.

Hi Mick,

How is your approach going to chnage now that your season is over?

Do you intend keeping up the same routine? Calorie intake...

Let me know what you plan to do and we can work it from there...

Mickman

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Hi Mick,

How is your approach going to chnage now that your season is over?

Do you intend keeping up the same routine? Calorie intake...

Let me know what you plan to do and we can work it from there...

Hopefully my approach won't (need to) change too much, BUT I probably need to find a replacement activity (ASAP) for the 2 games I was refereeing on Friday and Saturdays - as I think the games were a big help in improving/ maintaining my fitness and maintaining motivation to workout (although this should just be living healthy, for me the games at the end of the week make it easier to workout during the week). Diet should be maintainable.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Date:12 July
Last weigh in (4 July) 98

No Change!

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Start 28th April - 14st 5lb 92.5kg

Target 13st 7lb - 86kg

Date 18th July

Weight 13st 10lb = 87.3kg

Loss this (3) week = 0.8kg

Cum loss = 5.2kg

Cum % loss = 5.6%

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Restarted due to: a) Setback with the recovery for my knee; and b) all inclusive trip to Bahamas, where the gym was broken

Update:

New Target: 100kg by end of August (15.6kg)

Week 0: 115.6kg
Week 1: 114.9kg
Week 2: 115.5kg (4th July BBQ at friends house.....)
Week 3: 112.8kg

Week 4: 111.3kg

Total lost so far: 4.3kg (3.7% body weight)
% of target loss: 27.6%

Think the target is a hard one, but in the gym ~4 times a week, for 2 hours, on CV and rehab - limited to what I can do.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Date:20 July
Start: 102.1kg (11 April) Weight (11 Jan 114)
Last weigh in (12 July) 98
Current: 89.9kg
Loss/Gain: 0.1 Loss % to date: 4.2kg (4.11% or 21.14% from Jan 2011 at my heaviest at 114!)

A loss at last 100 whole grams!

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Date: 7 August
Start: 111.7kg (11 April)
Last weigh in (2 July) 104.8kg
Current: 103.1kg
Loss/Gain this week (4+ weeks actually): 1.7kg
kg loss to date: 8.6
Loss % to date: 7.7%

Finding it hard to crack the 100kg mark as carrying a niggling leg injury but determined to get under the century before the final weigh in (start of your English season in September???).
Good news is being able to make it through games comfortably which is making the effort more than worthwhile.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Date:9 August
Start: 102.1kg (11 April) Weight (11 Jan 114)
Last weigh in (20July) 97.9
Current: 96.6
Loss/Gain: 1.3 Loss % to date: 5.5KG (5.38% or 15.26% from Jan 2011 at my heaviest at 114!)

Good progress rather oddly not being able to exercise due to bust collar bone hasn't been bad (just adjusted diet accordingly)