What age can you do ELRA?

Jenko

Referees in England
Post Likes
At what age can you attend the ELRA course these days. I believe it was 14 but now been lowered to 12 but can't find any specific reference and wondered if anyone on here knows.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
the latest form says 14. probably out of date.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Still 14 as far as I am aware. Not had anything from the RFU (as a referee trainer) to say it's changed to 12.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Gents (at risk of getting demands for proof from the likes on nealed, PaulDG etc) I know that the minimum age for ELRA attendance is 14 years old. What makes you think it lowered to 12 Jenko - I can make a quick call to find out, but don't wish to be a nuisance.

I have been told that a number of times by Richard G-J, Dave B, Steve H and Andy M - all of whom wrote, implemented and now run the ELRA programme.

I was one of the Society Chairmen who was consulted about the NFC to ERLA transition, so of course will no bugga all about it.

There have been younger attendees, one of whom was featured on www.rfu.com, but they attended alongside their fathers or by accident / dob not stated on form.

ELRA has content requiring contextual judgement and assessment of materiality and professional advice (by educational psychologists) was that most kids under 14 would struggle with that content.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
curious...what is the charge to attend and who charges/collects it over there?

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
curious...what is the charge to attend and who charges/collects it over there?

When I did it in 2006 it was £40. I thought this was a very good price compared to the football course which was £90 for adults. I know of quite a few clubs who pay the course fee for the individual if they're going to be club referees.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
that's what our society had to do - implement a reimbursement plan if they became an active referee. USAR won't budge on the $50 - even for college students. I have mixed emotions on whether or not there should be a charge at all. it would really be sad if someone didn't take up the whistle due to the cost of the L1.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Two things :

1. Charge is £40 and ELRA is administered centrally at national level by RFU admin staff, then delivered by a trained RFU Trainer in each CB or a full time RFU staff members (often the Referee Development Manager). In mnay cases either clubs or CB will refund all or part of fee to attendees once they pass, join their Society and do 6 or in our case 10 Society appointments.

2. There is a new RFU Young Officials course (one day not two like ELRA) recently launched by RFU and this does allow under 14s - I think down to 11 year olds possibly ?

If RFU do not charge £40 per candidate (which is heavily subsidised already) who pays for :

venue, materials, trainer's time, trainer's travel costs, admin costs, etc.

000s of ELRA candidates go through each season across England, so if no charge is made that is ten 000s £ - at a time when bduets are being slashed already.

Jenko

Referees in England
Post Likes
Simon

I saw something on a club website (can't remember where!) and thought I would check. The form as davet says states 14 and I can understand that but the RFU site has no specific age restrictions.

The reason I was asking is the squad I coach now has 45 boys and 1 or 2 have started to ask about both coaching and refereeing which would be a great thing to do moving forward and with the numbers in the squad we have development matches that can be used to develop Ref skills (will also help to develop their interaction with the ref as they get older.

I think it must have been the 'young official' course you mention above that has confused me.

Do you know where I can get further details?

GeorgeR

Facebook Member
Post Likes
I had an e-mail from Clare Daniels to Club Referee Co-ordinators in Southern Region. In the update newsletter she mentioned the Young Officials course:

"The ELRA too has kept everyone busy throughout the region, while the launch of the Young Officials Award (for 14-19 year olds in full-time education) has ensured there’s plenty of opportunity for people to qualify as referees."

I would suggest that you go to her through your club referee co-ordinator. I could also forward you the e-mail if you PM me your e-mail address

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Jenks - I am speaking to Claire later today as it happens, as a follow up to Sunday's Federation meeting and will ask her about age limits on ELRA & Young Officials Award (YOA). I do think it is 14 years old for both ELRA and YOA.

We had two of Hampshire's finest attend the YOA Trainers accreditation session in December so we can run it.

As Alton CRC you should have had the Newsletter basharv refers to, which has the info about the YOA and wsa sent on 4th January. I have forwarded it to you on email separately.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
My lad did it at 14.

There is lad in our Society passed at 11 or 12 but that was the old NFC.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
If RFU do not charge £40 per candidate (which is heavily subsidised already) who pays for :

venue, materials, trainer's time, trainer's travel costs, admin costs, etc.

our trainers for the L1 are not reimbursed. if the local society is flush - they will kick in a little. there's very little cost to USAR for the L1, AR/TJ.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
ddjamo - that is how it was with NFC - all volunteer trainers, but that changed 4/5 seasons ago with ELRA, when everything was centralised by RFU and paid trained trainers were recruited - in Hants case the same guy as had been volunteer. He has a full time job with IBM and spends 10-12 hours per month on ELRA, plus loads of other time as an unpaid volunteer on Youth Committee, etc

Jenko

Referees in England
Post Likes
Jenks - I am speaking to Claire later today as it happens, as a follow up to Sunday's Federation meeting and will ask her about age limits on ELRA & Young Officials Award (YOA). I do think it is 14 years old for both ELRA and YOA.

We had two of Hampshire's finest attend the YOA Trainers accreditation session in December so we can run it.

As Alton CRC you should have had the Newsletter basharv refers to, which has the info about the YOA and wsa sent on 4th January. I have forwarded it to you on email separately.

Simon got your email (and Bashravs) and have exchanged email conversation with Clare (The age is 14). Hopefully back in the loop!

Don't know where I saw the erroneous info or might have been a bad dream after too much cheese!

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
paid trained trainers were recruited - in Hants case the same guy as had been volunteer. He has a full time job with IBM and spends 10-12 hours per month on ELRA, plus loads of other time as an unpaid volunteer on Youth Committee, etc
That's interesting. Can I assume then that the Hants Society Training Officer is not also the Hants ELRA training delivery operative? If so, is this common among the Societies?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Phil - after Madejski on Saturday I would be keeping my head down !

here is one for you