What goes into a FR PMB?

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
A front row pre match brief may/may not be required by your society/union. However, as a coach, I expect it. As a coach I just shake my head if the referee drones on about the engagement sequence with the FRs rolling their eyes, kicking the turf just waiting for the end.

What's in your FR PMB?

Accylad

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hooker set up left of my mark. Crouch bind set. Start straight, stay straight.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I see a variety of approaches. Most refs are content to identify FRs plus FR subs, and confirm that they are aware of the requirements of CBS sequence. A few make a specific point, many say they will check carefully at the first scrum. Front rows don't seem to mind that.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Mine: I first check that I have the same number of FR there as on the match sheet. Then:
"Calls will be in English today. Crouch, Bind, Set. Wait for the call. #9 - will touch your back, or indicate like so (make gesture), when you can put the ball in. Okay?"

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I also remind them about their duties of binding and dont be tempted to foot-up before put-in

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Mine, when I do it, is chapter and verse. I first (half an hour before the game) check with both coaches whether they have experienced front rows. If either side doesn't, then my PMB will be about 5 minutes later, and take 3 minutes or so. All FR to attend, SH optional.

"Hi, does anybody not speak Dutch? Ok, during the game, I'll speak English, but for explanations I will speak Dutch. Hookers? ... Ok, you are in charge of helping me keep the scrum safe. On 'Crouch' you can ask us to wait. Keep your shoulders level with your props. On 'Bind', I want your right ears to be roughly above the mark I have made. Props, make a long bind on your opponents at this point, but stay ear-to ear. Once you have bound, I will call 'Set' , you will move shoulders to the line where your ears were, and the scrum-half will put the ball in soon after at my signal.

"I want to see a straight drive, the scrum turning on the spot is a clear sign of an illegal wheel and it is potentially dangerous. The natural clockwise turn (torque) is fine. [Remember, at your age a maximum of one-and-a-half metres, and same side throws in again if it goes more than 45 degrees]

"Remind the back row to stay bound, oh, and while you are here: Just a reminder that although the law requires you to place the ball immediately when tackled, if your own players are there to form a ruck, I'll allow you to take longer than if you are isolated. So the same action may be tolerated or penalised depending on whether support is available or not. Similarly if you are the tackler and you make every effort to roll away or at least let the ball out even if it is difficult, we'll play on.

"Any questions?"

"Sir, when is the ball out of the ruck?"

"Ok, first of all, I will let the scrum-half use one hand to dig for the ball. Both hands on means he's able to pass and must do so within five seconds; if necessary I will call 'use it'. However, defenders not in the ruck need to stay behind the back foot of their own side of the ruck until the ball is lifted from the ground. Any other questions?

"OK, you've still got <20> minutes to prepare. Please send your captains to me for the toss in a couple of minutes."

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
wow - I even stopped reading, I'm sure they stop listening. Think you forgot to mention the forward pass directive, the ruling on leggings, and didn't see a mention of the "not competing at the lineout/maul" guidelines. You clearly forgot top mention the duration of the game and how long sin-bins are for, and no mention of Law 8 or 23. :sarc:
And why only cover Tackles with the FR, why not do that with the entire team if you need to tell them?

Seriously - cut out 95% of that. They don't need it, and you are creating a rod for your own back if you don't follow through on it.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
FR Brief:

"Crouch, Bind, Set - Three words, three separate actions.
Crouch - flat and straight
Bind - back or side
Set - no drive, no hit, just keep it over the mark

I won't let the SH put the ball in until you all stop moving and are square and steady.

Any questions? No?...have a good game".

20 to 30 seconds tops.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
"Hooker? You get them set up. You want to crouch early, that's OK. Everything else is on my voice Bind then set. Straight and level on the engagement. I don't care who's shouting what, the signal to begin shoving is when the ball comes in. Questions?"

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I speak to the whole team. Then they all know what has been "agreed"

Start with a smile:

"First the "legal" bit, Crouch, Bind, Set! The rhythm depends on the packs. I'll not say bind until you've both crouched etc.

Scrum half Put the ball in on my signal (tap on the back or thumbs up if I'm on the other side) Part of the ball must be over the mark.

All forwards stay bound throughout the scrum and props keep your bind up.

10, I'll give you the signal for 10m and 5m at L/O and scrum.

Questions at the next break down accept my call at the time. Don't delay their Quick tap and they'll not delay yours.

Taps in front of me, near to the mark.

I'll play advantage and manage things without the whistle as far as possible, as long as discipline is good.

Finally there are 31 of us out there. We will all make mistakes. I ping yours. Mine we ignore. Who said life was fair?"

End with a smile. The opening and final comments usually get a smile from the players.

Anything else can be said as and when needed.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Mine, when I do it, is chapter and verse. I first (half an hour before the game) check with both coaches whether they have experienced front rows. If either side doesn't, then my PMB will be about 5 minutes later, and take 3 minutes or so. All FR to attend, SH optional.

"Hi, does anybody not speak Dutch? Ok, during the game, I'll speak English, but for explanations I will speak Dutch. Hookers? ... Ok, you are in charge of helping me keep the scrum safe. On 'Crouch' you can ask us to wait. Keep your shoulders level with your props. On 'Bind', I want your right ears to be roughly above the mark I have made. Props, make a long bind on your opponents at this point, but stay ear-to ear. Once you have bound, I will call 'Set' , you will move shoulders to the line where your ears were, and the scrum-half will put the ball in soon after at my signal.

"I want to see a straight drive, the scrum turning on the spot is a clear sign of an illegal wheel and it is potentially dangerous. The natural clockwise turn (torque) is fine. [Remember, at your age a maximum of one-and-a-half metres, and same side throws in again if it goes more than 45 degrees]

"Remind the back row to stay bound, oh, and while you are here: Just a reminder that although the law requires you to place the ball immediately when tackled, if your own players are there to form a ruck, I'll allow you to take longer than if you are isolated. So the same action may be tolerated or penalised depending on whether support is available or not. Similarly if you are the tackler and you make every effort to roll away or at least let the ball out even if it is difficult, we'll play on.

"Any questions?"

"Sir, when is the ball out of the ruck?"

"Ok, first of all, I will let the scrum-half use one hand to dig for the ball. Both hands on means he's able to pass and must do so within five seconds; if necessary I will call 'use it'. However, defenders not in the ruck need to stay behind the back foot of their own side of the ruck until the ball is lifted from the ground. Any other questions?

"OK, you've still got <20> minutes to prepare. Please send your captains to me for the toss in a couple of minutes."

When I do it??

Why not just do it every time but make it 2 mins 45 seconds shorter?

I do a hybrid of Accylad and Phil E's

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Seriously - cut out 95% of that. They don't need it, and you are creating a rod for your own back if you don't follow through on it.

I cut 100% of it most matches - see other thread. However, when there are players who have never had a FR PMB before in their life, I will spend 3 minutes (or a bit longer if necessary) to make sure we are all singing off the same hymn sheet.

The PMB is not - IMNSHO - a necessary formality, to be gotten over as quickly as possible. If and when it is done, it should be done properly. I am trying to send three messages when I do it:
1) Safety in the scrum is paramount. Here is how we will achieve it.
2a) By the way, at ruck time I don't mind if you break the laws a little in the interest of continuity of play. And of safety, of course.
2b) I do also allow a little latitude to the tackler if the ruck forms so quickly he can't roll away.

You can disagree with my mentioning the tackle/ruck, I just prefer to add it when I am aware I have many new players.

My FR PMB takes about 3 minutes. I do it properly. 5% of that is 9 seconds. I don't see what value a 9-second-long PMB has. Hence I usually don't do one.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I cut 100% of it most matches - see other thread. However, when there are players who have never had a FR PMB before in their life, I will spend 3 minutes (or a bit longer if necessary) to make sure we are all singing off the same hymn sheet.

The PMB is not - IMNSHO - a necessary formality, to be gotten over as quickly as possible. If and when it is done, it should be done properly. I am trying to send three messages when I do it:
1) Safety in the scrum is paramount. Here is how we will achieve it.
2a) By the way, at ruck time I don't mind if you break the laws a little in the interest of continuity of play. And of safety, of course.
2b) I do also allow a little latitude to the tackler if the ruck forms so quickly he can't roll away.

You can disagree with my mentioning the tackle/ruck, I just prefer to add it when I am aware I have many new players.

My FR PMB takes about 3 minutes. I do it properly. 5% of that is 9 seconds. I don't see what value a 9-second-long PMB has. Hence I usually don't do one.

I'd guess there are loads of FRs in the Netherlands who've never had a PMB if all the refs adopt your methods. I can't recall the other thread but reading this one has me baffled at what you are trying to achieve or comply with. Anyway if it works for you good luck with it.

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
"First the "legal" bit, Crouch, Bind, Set! The rhythm depends on the packs. I'll not say bind until you've both crouched etc.

Scrum half Put the ball in on my signal (tap on the back or thumbs up if I'm on the other side) Part of the ball must be over the mark.

All forwards stay bound throughout the scrum and props keep your bind up.

10, I'll give you the signal for 10m and 5m at L/O and scrum.

Questions at the next break down accept my call at the time. Don't delay their Quick tap and they'll not delay yours.

Taps in front of me, near to the mark.

I'll play advantage and manage things without the whistle as far as possible, as long as discipline is good.

Finally there are 31 of us out there. We will all make mistakes. I ping yours. Mine we ignore. Who said life was fair?"

That's excellent! It wouldn't work for me personally, nor for Dutch players (I think). I'll try to use it though once touring season comes around next spring.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
My guess would be Rushforth is just trying to set out expectations with new or inexperienced FRs. I think it is quite long but I can see the logic.

Rushforth, my only comments would be after about 90 secs they'll probably not be listening, if not before. You would be doing yourself a favour keeping to relevant areas such as safety emphasis, bind expectation, scrum stability and on your command, rather than including all the tackle/ruck. Ball out tell the skippers if they ask and get them to disseminate.

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
I'd guess there are loads of FRs in the Netherlands who've never had a PMB if all the refs adopt your methods. I can't recall the other thread but reading this one has me baffled at what you are trying to achieve or comply with. Anyway if it works for you good luck with it.

I'm not trying to achieve anything. I comply with both the laws and local "agreement" on the scrum. OK, actually I allow scrum-halves to feed to the same level as they see on TV until I am satisfied that the scrum is physically safe.

I don't see the point in a 9 second FR PMB at any match. I don't see the point of a 3 minute FR PMB at every match either, wearing my coaching hat.

The FR PMB is an artifact of the "hit" era. It was necessary three years ago. Is it necessary today? Most coaches seem to think not. Some coaches say "yes please!"

It works for me. I do a 5 second version at the first scrum, mostly: "Hookers, right ears above the mark. Shoulders level with each other, Ear-to-ear on 'Bind'. OK?"

Accylad

Referees in England
Post Likes

I rather like that Pegleg. Mind if I borrow it? I would use at the toss with the captains though. As you can see I don't hang around much at the FRB.....

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
@ L8 - 10.
CBS as I ask not before, after SET bind legally, keep straight & feed on the centre line, FR keep feet outta tunnel and ensure teammates don't shove early, scrum FK is only time you can go 'without' a mark being made, all QTP to be taken correctly, ball needs to be removed from ruck or maul, ruck offside line is the HMF, 10 is always responsible for backs 5m & 10m scrum and LO compliance, clear everyone?

Captains, you are responsible for ALL the discipline of your players, any questions? No, good.

C.1min

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
That's excellent! It wouldn't work for me personally, nor for Dutch players (I think). I'll try to use it though once touring season comes around next spring.

I've used it with Dutch players and The "legal" bit is now left out with the Dutch as they don't get it. The rest works - up til now.

It works with my style of reffing. We are all different what works for me might not for you and vice versa. I've tried a few suggestions over the years and this one has been "it" for a while now. For some humour just does not work. Look at Margaret Thatcher and Gordon Brown!

Last edited: