What is the sanction for Law 6.30?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Yours Didds. In my mind and in the context of scrums these words mean the same thing: pressure, power, energy, force, etc

I have successfully managed situations where the dominant scrum have agreed to softly & gently win the scrum in order to stay contested.

Also, with your Colts, is that U19 & therefore 1.5 m push?
gotcha.
OK - in my mind why use "depower" when you actually want "uncontested". Just say "uncontested" - then there is no potential confusion.

Cos as a prop if I was told to "depower" Id still push - but maybe not try to mullah!

I do appreciate we are talking semantics here :)

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
gotcha.
OK - in my mind why use "depower" when you actually want "uncontested". Just say "uncontested" - then there is no potential confusion.

Cos as a prop if I was told to "depower" Id still push - but maybe not try to mullah!

I do appreciate we are talking semantics here :)
"Gents - do you understand the difference between dominate and destroy? One is safe, the other may lead to uncontested. Please stay on the right side of th eline"

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
yes. and my version of dominate-not-destroy I may feel is minimal - but still be too much for the less than ST&E hooker - becasue I have no real idea what he is capable of

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
"Gents - do you understand the difference between dominate and destroy? One is safe, the other may lead to uncontested. Please stay on the right side of th eline"
"if the scrum carries on collapsing, I'll go uncontested"

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
shame about the hooker's broken neck and paraplegic future. That prop didnt depower enough - blame him.
point taken
but are you saying that it's never appropriate to try and manage a concern? ie. if the ref has a concern then straight away it's uncontested ?
I mean, I'm not saying you are wrong, perhaps that is the best approach

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
point taken
but are you saying that it's never appropriate to try and manage a concern? ie. if the ref has a concern then straight away it's uncontested ?
This particular forked thread of conversation started from an example from an age-grade game... I ref a lot of age-grade rugby, and I would go straight to uncontested if I had a concern with anyone in the front row.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Can you stick your own supplementary bans on mandated tariffs?
Under RFU Regulation 19.11.13 "Thereafter, the Disciplinary Committees or Judicial Officers shall identify any relevant off-field aggravating factors and determine what additional period of suspension, if any, should apply to the case in question. Aggravating factors include:
(b) the need for a deterrent to combat a pattern of offending in the Game where the teams participating in the Match or Tournament have been put on notice that such a need exists". For example:
1. This is a memorandum to all clubs within the ... Constituent Body.
2. This past season has seen a significant increase in sanctions given for disrespect or abuse toward Match Officials. These offences accounted for 20% of 2021/22 seasons cases, which is above the national average for CBs.
3. The aim of this memorandum is to notify all clubs within the ... CB of this trend and to request that all managers and/or coaches brief their players and coaching staff accordingly that this behaviour on or off the field of play is not acceptable. This is of particular concern in the Age Grade game and in Colts rugby.
4. From the date of this memoranda until further notice, cases of this type of foul play being heard and either accepted or found proven by a ... Discipline Panel, will result in 2 additional weeks being added to all sanctions as an aggravating factor. This will also include any sanction for disrespect of a Match Official and physical contact/abuse of a Match Official."

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Getting the thread back on topic...

My local society's exec board has put forth a proposal for the upcoming U19 season

- only one coach on the sidelines within the playing area
- coaches must be mum, outside of comms to players near sideline or at halftime
- coaches/club admins are responsible for policing fan behavior towards players and officials

Referees would be given explicit authority to have offenders removed from the premises, and if the offender resumes or refuses to leave, the match is abandoned.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Getting the thread back on topic...

My local society's exec board has put forth a proposal for the upcoming U19 season

- only one coach on the sidelines within the playing area
- coaches must be mum, outside of comms to players near sideline or at halftime
- coaches/club admins are responsible for policing fan behavior towards players and officials

Referees would be given explicit authority to have offenders removed from the premises, and if the offender resumes or refuses to leave, the match is abandoned.
All good
Nothing about giving on field PK though ?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
point taken
I think if the ref has identified that the player isn't ST&E then yes - its time to make that call. By all means check if the team has an alternate player for that position but if not its uncontested.
"you" make the call that a player is off for concussions, for example, based on little more than "how many fingers", "what's your name" and "what's the score" so its not as if community refs are not in a position to ever make calls that can be seen as potentially draconian.

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Agree that if not ST&E then immediate uncontested. A bit more nuanced if ST&E but still getting monstered

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
"you" make the call that a player is off for concussions, for example, based on little more than "how many fingers", "what's your name" and "what's the score" so its not as if community refs .......
Does this actually happen......" How many fingers" etc?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
No. No tests at all. If I have inkling that there is a head injury, then off they go
it's yonks since I had to do that, though, teams take the player off themselves nowadays.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
I only ever had to do this once -it was the swivelling eyeballs that gave him away. Both attendants agreed (fortunate, but it would have made no difference) but still the player protested -DONT listen to the player who has just been bashed on the head!

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Under RFU Regulation 19.11.13 "Thereafter, the Disciplinary Committees or Judicial Officers shall identify any relevant off-field aggravating factors and determine what additional period of suspension, if any, should apply to the case in question. Aggravating factors include:
(b) the need for a deterrent to combat a pattern of offending in the Game where the teams participating in the Match or Tournament have been put on notice that such a need exists". For example:
1. This is a memorandum to all clubs within the ... Constituent Body.
2. This past season has seen a significant increase in sanctions given for disrespect or abuse toward Match Officials. These offences accounted for 20% of 2021/22 seasons cases, which is above the national average for CBs.
3. The aim of this memorandum is to notify all clubs within the ... CB of this trend and to request that all managers and/or coaches brief their players and coaching staff accordingly that this behaviour on or off the field of play is not acceptable. This is of particular concern in the Age Grade game and in Colts rugby.
4. From the date of this memoranda until further notice, cases of this type of foul play being heard and either accepted or found proven by a ... Discipline Panel, will result in 2 additional weeks being added to all sanctions as an aggravating factor. This will also include any sanction for disrespect of a Match Official and physical contact/abuse of a Match Official."

That's me telt! Thank you. :)