What is the sanction for Law 6.30?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
You really can't give a PK against a spectator.

Last edited:

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
I've done it. Unfortunately for the winger who was stood right in front of the perpetrator -he got penalised as I was certain it was the player giving his opinion about one decision. We did have a chat about it after and we both understood the problem.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
This happened in my son's game last night, ref (ex-national panel ref, very experienced, one of the best round here) had concerns about our hooker (We had an inexperienced FR due to injuries and he had been forewarned that uncontested was likely) so he called me over (I was TJ and coach) to explain and discuss the options, oppo coach decided to march on uninvited and try and jump in and got quite grumpy about it all (if he'd waited 30 seconds it would have been explained but ho hum!) so end result was his team getting penalised, and then marched back 10 for subsequent comments.

All very foolish, especially as there's an additional 2 week sanction in Durham currently for anyone entering the pitch without permission and getting involved in any incident that goes to disciplinary

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
This happened in my son's game last night, ref (ex-national panel ref, very experienced, one of the best round here) had concerns about our hooker (We had an inexperienced FR due to injuries and he had been forewarned that uncontested was likely) so he called me over (I was TJ and coach) to explain and discuss the options, oppo coach decided to march on uninvited and try and jump in and got quite grumpy about it all (if he'd waited 30 seconds it would have been explained but ho hum!) so end result was his team getting penalised, and then marched back 10 for subsequent comments.

All very foolish, especially as there's an additional 2 week sanction in Durham currently for anyone entering the pitch without permission and getting involved in any incident that goes to disciplinary
Can you stick your own supplementary bans on mandated tariffs?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
so he called me over (I was TJ and coach) to explain and discuss the options, oppo coach decided to march on uninvited and try and jump in and got quite grumpy about it all (if he'd waited 30 seconds it would have been explained but ho hum!) so end result was his team getting penalised, and then marched back 10 for subsequent comments.
I think that the ref should have asked both coaches onto the field in the first place ? (For me it's a little difficult to sanction one coach for coming on to the field to talk to the ref, when the ref has actually invited the other one to do just that)

And this nicely illustrates the problems with giving a PK - the additional 10m must have felt uncomfortable.
Did noise from the touchline then cease? (phew)

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I think that the ref should have asked both coaches onto the field in the first place ? (For me it's a little difficult to sanction one coach for coming on to the field to talk to the ref, when the ref has actually invited the other one to do just that)

And this nicely illustrates the problems with giving a PK - the additional 10m must have felt uncomfortable.
Did noise from the touchline then cease? (phew)
It wasn’t a conversation that needed him, potentially at all, it just needed me to clarify something for him and for him to communicate his concerns. I wouldn’t get involved if one of his players had a safety concern / injury unless asked.

The ref could, and would have passed on what was important to him, but he didn’t give him that chance 🤷‍♂️

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It wasn’t a conversation that needed him, potentially at all, it just needed me to clarify something for him and for him to communicate his concerns. I wouldn’t get involved if one of his players had a safety concern / injury unless asked.

The ref could, and would have passed on what was important to him, but he didn’t give him that chance 🤷‍♂️
i guess - but I can completely understand why a coach gets twitchy, stranded on the touchline, watching the ref having a conversation with the other coach...

Best practice, I'd say, is to invite both coaches to approach .. and this story illustrates why.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Was this an adult or junior's game?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
This happened in my son's game last night, ref (ex-national panel ref, very experienced,......

Doesn't sound like it was well handled....maybe the ref was a bit if a diva!

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
It was a Colts game, and guess I’m not describing it well, I thought he handled it well, with empathy and understanding for a player in a difficult situation - he could have just start penalising him.

The other coach was the one out of order for me, not everything is everyone’s business, just like every convo on pitch doesn’t involve both captains. A polite ‘anything I need to be aware of’ would have been a good start.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Colts ... is that 18 year olds or similar?

So your team is getting mullered in the scrums, front row popping, collapsing, etc due to inexperience.

For safety reasons the ref decides to go uncontested, which is fair enough, he had been pre-warned.

At this age group, I wonder why the ref decided to talk to the coach and not the captain/s?

Anyway, I can see both sides. From your PoV, the ref was advising you that he was going uncontested unless you had a different solution. Once he'd established that, he would have advised the other team.

From the other coach's PoV, he was seeing the ref and opposition coach colluding to undermine his scrum dominance. Maybe he would have been happy to de-power his scrum if only he'd been asked.

In your competition, is there a penalty for going uncontested? Lose a flanker, etc

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
There’s no penalty for going uncontested no, however that was the conversation, identifying if there were replacements, and what he was doing about it to help with the engagement - we weren’t going uncontested yet, but that was on the cards if the new hooker couldn’t start to get his feet and position in a better place. It’s still kids rugby remember.

Like I said I’m probably not explaining it well and a ‘you had to be there’ situation - oppos reaction was instantly over the top and I posted it here as an example of the sanction more than anything

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
There is no safety in "depowering" surely ? Its still pressure?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Maybe its me but that seems such an odd comment
mine?

Or the "depower" request?
I ask because if the hooker cannot take the pressure, how do we know that "a depowered push" is any easier?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
mine?

Or the "depower" request?
I ask because if the hooker cannot take the pressure, how do we know that "a depowered push" is any easier?
Yours Didds. In my mind and in the context of scrums these words mean the same thing: pressure, power, energy, force, etc

I have successfully managed situations where the dominant scrum have agreed to softly & gently win the scrum in order to stay contested.

Also, with your Colts, is that U19 & therefore 1.5 m push?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Colts in England now (generally) is used to refer to U18 (who are combined with U17)