What would you do?

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
This with bells on. We're trying to not be the centre of attention! There would have been absolute uproar if they'd ordered a retake for that.

Serious question - in what circumstances would you enforce the letter of this particular law? I ask because the law is written very restrictively, unusually clearly, and with no reference to distracting the kicker. In most circumstances a breach will not be material; so do you just interpret the law as being one preventing distraction of the kicker?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
How off-putting can a player with his hands on his head be? TBH, as long as he was standing still, I don't think the kicker would even know he had his hands on his head.
Its a fair point and I have a lot of sympathy for the view that it would be unexpected to award a retake for this. I don't think I'd do it.

Nonetheless, we need to consider the mischief the iRB was trying to fix. ST may be able to help here. I recall back in the mid-1970's it was common for the non-kicking side to lean, the entire team in concert, to one side to try to disorientate the kicker. IIRC from a considerable distance, these rather obscure and perhaps ineffective practices were the target of the iRB position. If so, it is not our job to decide the iRB was tilting at windmills.

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Serious question - in what circumstances would you enforce the letter of this particular law? I ask because the law is written very restrictively, unusually clearly, and with no reference to distracting the kicker. In most circumstances a breach will not be material; so do you just interpret the law as being one preventing distraction of the kicker?

Yes, would only get involved if it's very obvious and likely to distract. Hands on head is immaterial as the kicker will have his head down looking at the ball. If it interferes with his set up and he points it out I will make sure they're squeaky clean, if not I'm ignoring it.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
i think this is a really good question.

the player is doing something that he knows is illegal, deliberately to distract the kicker, safe in the knowledge that the referee is powerless to stop him
- ref makes a fuss before the kick and the kicker is even more distracted, job done
- ref has the kick taken again and everyone in the stadium - and most of his fellow refs! - will think he's a jobsworth pratt, so that's not likely to happen.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Yes, would only get involved if it's very obvious and likely to distract. Hands on head is immaterial as the kicker will have his head down looking at the ball. If it interferes with his set up and he points it out I will make sure they're squeaky clean, if not I'm ignoring it.
I think Jacko's nailed it.

If the kicker said it was off-putting then fair enough, I'd do something .... but not otherwise if I'm honest about it.