[Law] Whats new 2016

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Hi peoples.
Thought i would mention for coaches & refs. Some noticeable changes in 2016 / 17 season.( im sure most of u already know )
This isnt all of changes , but a few ,,in no perticular order .

Last try scored , where team looking to re start .in dying seconds of game ,,when player scores try ,,same player only can aproach ref & decline kick at goal & instead allow dying seconds to be available for game to re start

Scrum
Scrum half of whose team does not have ball in scrum.
Can no longer fully follow around
He / she can go no further than opposition flanker
( not sure if its flakers feet as in hind foot situation ,,or nr 8 head )

Where scrum wheels more than 180 ,,
Unless blatantly deliberate .
The team who was not in possesion when scrum wheels ,
is no longer afforded the put in at next re set scrum.
The same team puts in
( this might help keep scrums sq ,,as now there no incentive )

A player who has been by fowl play , injured .
Can now be replaced by an already substituted player .
( i need to double check this 1han

Look forward to any views & hopefully more changes

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Sorry scrum wheeled more than 90 degrees , is what i meant

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The main amendments are:

► The replacement of a player injured following foul play does not count as one of the allotted number of replacements available to that team (Excellent idea but it needs monitoring for potential abuse)

► Advantage may be played following a scrum collapse if there is no risk to player safety (Seems to have been working well so far in SR)

► Play acting or “simulation” is specifically outlawed in the game in a move that formalises resistance to a practice that has been creeping into the game in recent years. Any player who dives or feigns injury in an effort to influence the match officials will be liable for sanction (Happy to see this has been made clear. It ONLY applies to feigning injury, not to bringing infringements to the attention of the referee)

► Teams must be ready to form a scrum within 30 seconds of the scrum being awarded, unless the referee stops the clock for an injury or another stoppage (And about time too!)

► At a re-set scrum following a 90-degree wheel, the ball is thrown in by the team that previously threw it in rather than the team not in possession (Excellent. one of the incentives to wheel the scrum removed)

► The scrum-half of the team not in possession at a scrum may not move into the space between the flanker and number eight (Also very good. Why give teams extra incentives extract scrum penalties)

► When the ball has been at the number eight’s feet in a stationary scrum for 3-5 seconds, the referee will call “use it” and the attacking team must use the ball immediately (Has been working well in SR)

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
"When the ball has been at the number eight’s feet in a stationary scrum for 3-5 seconds, the referee will call “use it” and the attacking team must use the ball immediately "

So three seconds?

Or five seconds?

didds

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
"When the ball has been at the number eight’s feet in a stationary scrum for 3-5 seconds, the referee will call “use it” and the attacking team must use the ball immediately "

So three seconds?

Or five seconds?

didds
Nobody expects the referee to time it, and there would be plenty of arguments over when the timing should start. The law simply gives an indication of what sort of delay should be allowed before requiring the scrum half to use the ball.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
the only one I am worried about is 10.2(d)

The world rugby announcement says

Play acting or “simulation” is specifically outlawed in the game in a move that formalises resistance to a practice that has been creeping into the game in recent years. Any player who dives or feigns injury in an effort to influence the match officials will be liable for sanction

That would be a good thing to put in the Law, but unfortunately what tehy wrote in the Law is quite different: -- contrary to WR's announcement play -acting and simulation are not specifically outlawed at all, in fact they are not even mentioned.

Here's what the Law says.

[LAWS]
10.2(d) A player must not commit any act that may lead the match officials to consider that that player was subject to foul play or any other type of infringement committed by an opponent.
Sanction: Penalty kick[/LAWS]

As written: its the code of omerta : whatever happens to yu, you must grin-and-bear it, no grassing up the oppo.

How do WR manage to write Laws so poorly. Why didn't they write a law specifically outlawing play acting and simulation? That would have been a good Law.

Last edited:

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
The main amendments are:

► The replacement of a player injured following foul play does not count as one of the allotted number of replacements available to that team (Excellent idea but it needs monitoring for potential abuse)

I guess there would have to be a PK offence on the pitch either seen or called by TMO, so can't see how this can be abused, it's not like we can have a "bloodgate" type issue?

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
I guess there would have to be a PK offence on the pitch either seen or called by TMO, so can't see how this can be abused, it's not like we can have a "bloodgate" type issue?

The injury part - would you put it past a canny coach to say "if you're the victim of foul play, stay down and we can bring so-and-so back on"?

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes

A team's used up all its replacements and is tiring badly with 10 minutes to go. How much more attractive is it to stay down after a high tackle or collapsed maul and bring on some fresh(er) blood?

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Hi all
Yes i agree , i think all changes will benefit the game .

The maul in general ( usually from line out moves )
The ball now only can be passed back & not the ball carrier slipping back , i beleive this will help not so much identifying where the ball is ,,but may be help consistancy in a maul of whose binding & whos blocking ( time will tell )

Can anybody advise , in new mauls ,,
Q ) can the ball stay in middle of maul or will it have to come to person furthest back ,,or person on outer perimiter ( eg. Person at side maul )

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
It could be open for abuse ,,but i think generally its a good thing to bring into game ..
The possibility of staying down from a high tackle ( unless it is obvious & serious ) ,,could back fire on players & instead of a tired 12 being replaced for acts of fowl play & now his leg or arm hurts .( ref fowl play fowl play )
He will in fact be in fact carded for play acting .

Who was the scotish player mr owens spoke to
Where he warned him ,,any more of that & it will be 2 weeks you come back ,,the football stadium is that way .

I think players in general dont play act & dont condone play acting them selves ,,,lads would be slated in bar afterwards .

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Thanks ,,vidio makes a big help

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
But surely the ref would have to see the foul play (and pinged it!) for the sub to be allowed?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

A player who is within minutes of being subbed cops a high tackle.

Team medics who are aware he is about to be subbed, report that he needs PSCA even thought in reality he does not.

He goes off and the sub comes on.

Player never returns, and that team has just gamed the system to get a free sub.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
But if the ref gives a PK for the high tackle agree.

BUT

if it's based on the medic saying "they're injured due to a high tackle" AND THE REF HASN'T SEEN IT then I think we need clarification from on high?

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
if it's based on the medic saying "they're injured due to a high tackle" AND THE REF HASN'T SEEN IT then I think we need clarification from on high?

what does the new Law actually say precisely ? I can't find it in the 2016 Laws

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
what does the new Law actually say precisely ? I can't find it in the 2016 Laws

[LAWS]
[FONT=fs_blakeregular]If a player is substituted, that player may only return to play when replacing:[/FONT]

• an injured front row player in accordance with Law 3.5
  • a player with a blood injury in accordance with Law 3.11
  • a player undertaking a Head Injury Assessment in accordance with Law 3.12
  • a player who has been injured as a result of foul play (as verified by the Match Officials)
[/LAWS]
(my emphasis).

That should mean the officials verifying both the foul play and the injury.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
[LAWS]
If a player is substituted, that player may only return to play when replacing:

• an injured front row player in accordance with Law 3.5
  • a player with a blood injury in accordance with Law 3.11
  • a player undertaking a Head Injury Assessment in accordance with Law 3.12
  • a player who has been injured as a result of foul play (as verified by the Match Officials)
[/LAWS]

hmm-- that doesn't say what the press release says !

The replacement of a player injured following foul play does not count as one of the allotted number of replacements available to that team

Those two are quite different!

Last edited: