Where are you this weekend? 2013-14

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Andy - that sounds maybe too much activity on consecutive days. Be careful. Performance may suffer on day 3 and 4 and you make yourself more susceptible to injury.

As an example a fast track L6 of mine did three matches in three days recently all testing matches. He is super fit, having done 16 + on yo yo recently without breaking sweat.

All were important 'exposure' matches and watched by different very senior RFU folks on Friday and Sunday, and me for a L6 League match on the Saturday - Friday was Quins Academy and Sunday a National Colts semi-final so both very quick.

He did not perform to potential on the Sunday after two previous matches and significant travel.

Thanks Simon,

Friday is not that important (for my development, but still serious for the teams), so will be resting most of the day and allowing others to take most of the games ;) Saturday is AR so not as physical.

Sunday is between a L6 and L7 so that should be ok.

Monday is very important for me, Mr Thomas (probably related to you ;) ) is coming to look at me, so need to be up for that one.

I think I have my mind and body ok for all of them, but was a big consideration and a lot to plan for. It does mean no alcohol at the Army vs Navy!!!!!!!!!!! Which I suppose is unheard of.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Monday is very important for me, Mr Thomas (probably related to you ;) ) is coming to look at me, so need to be up for that one.

As you say Monday is the crucial one, with I suspect a few more 'names' there too. No Mr Thomas and I are not related but at some time in the past both our families came from south Swansea or surrounding villages, and hence had to take the English concept of a surname and used the local baron's Christian name.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Off to Bideford Devon this weekend, mountain bike on car

anyone in the area got a match ? ...us addicts need a fix !

Ovey

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Saturday is AR so not as physical.

It does mean no alcohol at the Army vs Navy!!!!!!!!!!! Which I suppose is unheard of.

I'm there too. The Combined Service referees are officiating at the emerging schools touch rugby beforehand (at Richmond RFC) and then some of them will be officiating the finals before ko and at half time in HQ1 itself.

I've reffed on the hallowed turf (which involved me doing the Army/Navy sober - a strange experience!) so will be "stepping aside" after we leave Richmond in order to sample a few "orange juice and lemonades"!

Are you doing the Combined Service match before the Army/Navy? Dunx McClement is reffing it and he's a really good guy - damned fine ref too!

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Twickenham for me this weekend trying to avoid any howlers with the flag. I'll be the cold, wet one if anyone's going!

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Cumbria v Durham ladies for me on Sunday. My first ever ladies match so looking forward to it.
How do you address a group? Ladies, girls, guys? Would appreciate any advice.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Yeah thats the one :)

Dunx was a Hampshire member before he was posted to somewhere in Scotland. Always had lots of potential, and keeps in regular touch. Good to see him progress so well.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Cumbria v Durham ladies for me on Sunday. My first ever ladies match so looking forward to it.
How do you address a group? Ladies, girls, guys? Would appreciate any advice.

"Yo 'sup bitches" and offer a fist bump

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Ladies.

They can use "girls". You better not

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
What Simon says. Don't actually do my suggestion, although if you choose to please video it.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Finally, my final game this afternoon BAE Systems Barrow Graduates v Apprentices. normally a tasty encounter

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
This afternoon I have Men's Division 1 (our 2nd tier), Rugby Parc Olympique vs Rugby Club de Montreal. The original French club vs the breakaway French club. Should be tasty. They often don't get along.

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Light at the end of the tunnel! Tomorrow qualifying tournament for national colts sevens finals. Penultimate weekend of official action...

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Light at the end of the tunnel! Tomorrow qualifying tournament for national colts sevens finals. Penultimate weekend of official action...

Lucky you - I'll have adults. #2 and #5 of 15s... Big H can have the match between them haha!

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
On a flight to Perth, WA this weekend. Land at 1am local time on Sunday 1st June.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I'm at the Midlands 7s this Saturday and Sunday. Anyone else around or coming to referee?