Where are you this weekend? 2014/15

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
wombleref - I know where you are coming from, but I agree with Browner : it's the coaches job to level up a game, not the referee's.
You should always ref everything straight, as soon as you start delibrately favouring one side (for any reason, even with the best of intentions) I think you are on a dangerous path.

Also - if it was a league game there's almost certainly a maximum points difference (?) that takes account of the mismatch. In most youth leagues when you get to that, the game ends and the two teams can play on as a friendly. If your levelling delayed / prevented the maximum difference being achieved then you may even have prolonged the agony :-(

Here in Holland, the regulation for youth matches is that if there is 30 points difference at half time, the teams should mix. The side that is losing never wants to; they'd rather play together.

I find it very difficult not to referee what I see equitably, but there is more danger in what I don't see at all than perhaps some leniency towards the end of a game where one side is getting thrashed. Such leniency is not "deliberately favouring one side", but rather being less tolerant of minor technical offences by players on the winning side.

I'm firmly in WombleRefs camp, perhaps not as to detail, but rugby remains a game for me, and games are meant to be enjoyed. My personal enjoyment comes from ensuring as safe a match as I can which sometimes includes making sure the losing side benefits from my accidentally missing something.

My match yesterday had long advantages for high tackles brought back to penalties. The weaker side were the ones penalised for their poor tackling technique. The stronger side probably gave away as many penalties in total, but more for technical offences. Both teams wanted to play, so they did.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
of course the referee must ensure the game is safe. We weren't talking about safety.
I don't think it's appropriate for the referee to apply the Laws in an unbalanced way to even up a game.
The coaches, between them, can even up the game.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
You really need to consider your position if I'm agreeing with Browner.

18 year olds don't have the maturity of adults. You think you're leveling up for the losing side. There's every chance there's a pissed off winning kid who doesn't grok what you're doing, and just wants to stick it to the opposition.

You're not helping him at all.

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
You really need to consider your position if I'm agreeing with Browner.

18 year olds don't have the maturity of adults. You think you're leveling up for the losing side. There's every chance there's a pissed off winning kid who doesn't grok what you're doing, and just wants to stick it to the opposition.

You're not helping him at all.

Well I'm an 18 year old referee. Perhaps I should just give up as I'm not mature enough to referee a game safely.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Given that you say yourself that the recipients of your lenient approach didn't appreciate it then it begs the question why bother doing it (in the future). IMO in terms of refereeing safely and equitably the best you can do in a one sided game at that age is ensure that the winners are not taking the piss out of their opponents and keep a lid on any sledging based on the score (or anything else for that matter). Some captains at 18 will take that on board and will react accordingly others won't because they're useless captains or perhaps immature.

Don't get unduly defensive about SimonSmith's statements about age/maturity - generally it's true and not a dig at you.

I have a son (20 yrs of age) who referees (he's in here lurking somewhere) and he is a much more in control individual when refereeing than when he's playing (or watching) so even the part an individual plays in the game colours their view of what's going on.

Don't assume any players of any age will view your intentions the way you expect. Unless you annouce loudly to the captains that once the score gets to +50 you'll be favouring the losers then subtle leanings towards one side over the other will be either missed totally or misconstrued as incompetence/tiredness/apathy.

You can of course favour the losers in a one sider but don't be upset they're not gushing with thanks when you do.

As you progress you'll realise you're not there to be their friend - be friendly but not to the exclusion of being equitable.

Keep up the good work. You sound like you're enjoying it and the new move up North will improve your refereeing as you will no doubt only be used to running and kicking and not much else.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Surely not a son that old LFP?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Surely not a son that old LFP?

If you must fawn get my initials right! :biggrin:

There's nothing worse than a dyslexic sycophant! Or a Turdy as I like to call them.

Since you ask - I have two sons 23 and 20 (Mr Bisto of this parish)

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Yer new iOS 8. It actually changes the words to what it wants.
I haven't been called bisto since school. Wait!!!
how did you know my nickname was Gravy?

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
What WombleRef?
my Son?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Well I'm an 18 year old referee. Perhaps I should just give up as I'm not mature enough to referee a game safely.

This sounds like the typical response of a maturing 18 yr old !

'Safely' was never up for debate.

You're likely doing well as a 18 yr old referee, and get my applause for doing the role.
continue refereeing, and continue learning.
Recognising that game levelling isnt your refereeing role, is part of that.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
What WombleRef?
my Son?

No my son -is your son??!!

Look it's quite easy. Listen!

My son has the nickname of Bisto (which he recently picked up at University) as he is from the North and apparently Southerners think the North and Gravy are inextricably linked.

You appear to have had the same or a similar nickname at school.

Got it? :biggrin: Good!

Now re-read what I wrote in the above posts.

I hope this sort of test isn't going to bar your way to National Panel!! :biggrin:

I notice you got very defensive at the suggestion Wombleref is your son!! Methinks the lady doth protest too much!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
from posts 211, 212 and 213 I gathered wombleref was daftmedic's son.

Na Madrai

Referees in England
Post Likes
Interesting slant this topic has taken.

I am afraid that I cannot bring meself to agree with your last comments Browner, in many cases I have taken it upon meself to level matches where the one team is far superior to the other. League, merit, cup matches, etc.excepted. Part of our job must be to try to assist a coach in ensuring that as many as his team return next week as possible despite their having been on the wrong end of a pasting this week.

A case in point - I was refereeing my old club's youth side. I had managed to keep the score down to below the fifty point differential by judicious refereeing! In the dying seconds, the losing team were awarded a scrum on the opposing twenty-two. The nine put the ball between his own second row's legs, scampered round, picked up and using me as a blocker, beat the ten to score a try in the corner for the end of the match.

In the bar afterwards my explanation to the home team coach, a very old mate ticked off because he wanted the 'nil conceded' recorded, took a little time to accept my comment which was along the lines of - you will have no problem in getting your team out next week. However, the opposition might have a problem but during the week, you can bet your cotton socks that his teams' comments will be along the lines, well, we might have been hammered by them ....... but at least we scored. It gives him a little help.

I repeat, this must only apply in friendlies!

Just my twopence worth as I stand ready to be roasted by one and all!

NM

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
i think it's vitally important that referees are impartial and unbiased.
an accusation of bias is the worst thing that a player/coach can level at a referee. Do we make mistakes? of course. Could we be better refs? Yes there is always room for improvment. Are we biased ? NO WE ARE NOT.

the answer can't be : "no, we are not biased. Unless of course one team is winning by a long way, and then we might be, a little bit"

IMO that approach undermines everything we do.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
No my son -is your son??!!

Look it's quite easy. Listen!

My son has the nickname of Bisto (which he recently picked up at University) as he is from the North and apparently Southerners think the North and Gravy are inextricably linked.

You appear to have had the same or a similar nickname at school.

Got it? :biggrin: Good!

Now re-read what I wrote in the above posts.

I hope this sort of test isn't going to bar your way to National Panel!! :biggrin:

I notice you got very defensive at the suggestion Wombleref is your son!! Methinks the lady doth protest too much!

WombleRef is not my son. Well there was this one incident in colchester which the time frame could make it possible.
Im more distubed that a Yorkshire lad has got to go to Uni:horse::booty:

Anywho. Back on track. My games getting changed this weekend to......:shrug:

Owen Bisto Taylor

Facebook Member
Post Likes
WombleRef, dont listen to anybody who says about maturity and age. Like the old man said, I'm only 20, played from 5 to 19 when i got injured, had to stop playing... and now i'm doing this every weekend. And I love it! If anybody questions your age or maturity, just show them for the rest of the match that you're totally in control of your decision making. Not saying there isn't added pressure, because there is... i get it all the time, especially from the fat old prop whose 'come to help out'. But then again it helps being 6"2 and having a northern accent! If you need to chat message me and we can chat! And let's be honest, i've had some shocking officials... and they weren't the new breed!

To get this thread back on track!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have my first 1st team league game this weekend, L8! Think LLPs little boy is growing up! :shrug:

Northampton Men's Own 1sts v Stockwood Park 1sts

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

I did NMO a couple of weeks ago!!

This week I have an AR and a 4th appointment for the Navy tomorrow.
RE v REME at Gibraltar Barracks (Guildford, not The Rock).

Saturday I have a L8 league game with a local team who have a certain reputation for robust forward play!!

Bunniksider

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
To get this thread back on track!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have my first 1st team league game this weekend, L8! Think LLPs little boy is growing up! :shrug:

I was at Old Scouts a couple of weeks back and my colleague did the Mens Own match. I'll ask him for a bit of feedback at tonights meeting.