Where are you this weekend? 2014/15

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Harlequins and Saracens have amateur sides at the next level down L10 and Wasps had an amateur side too but not sure where they are now.

The interesting ones are London Irish Wild Geese (always been the LI second side and a real power in the 1970s even with B52 :) - in those days they, Quins Wanderers, Richmond Saxons, London Scots Picts, London Welsh Druids were very good sides and regularly turning out internationals in their teams.

Over the last decade Wild Geese have had access to the original and now the new Professional training grounds in Sunbury, some coaching support, and some Academy / AASE St Paul's College players. They are currently top of National 3 (London & SE) and were up in National 2 last season. Originally called London Irish Amateurs, I reffed them at L7 in Hampshire around 2007/08 as they were climbing up the leagues,mother renamed as Wild Geese three seasons ago and are a separate financially entity to the professional club.

London Irish Geese are LOT more connected to London Irish than Harelquins Amateurs are to quins (which is hardly connected at all)

I think this reflects the heritage of the clubs, pace the Wanderers, my impression is that Quins were traditionally a club only really interested in the 1st XV, while LI were always a more community organisation.

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Wednesday: Refereeing RLC v RA vets, then AR for RLC v RA 1st XV

Grrrrrrr and this is why I cant get a fixture this week!! We have given them all over to the other 2 Services and nothing back in return on that date :shrug:

Last edited:

Chris_j

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Speaking of distances.

I know an u13s side that once had to travel 113 miles (to get to a CB Final) that was called off as they got off the coach, c.1 Hr before kick off !!:wtf:

I know. I was in the middle for the u15s final which was stopped at half time as all the finals were abandoned. Perhaps with hindsight it could have been called off the day before, but that weather was exceptional. I had both contact lenses blown/washed out and it was the coldest I had been on a rugby pitch. Some of the back lines were in severe danger of hypothermia.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Just be thankful your daughter is not playing for Cockermouth Girls who are in the North Eastern Group along with Morpeth, Tynedale etc.

Camquin

Owen Bisto Taylor

Facebook Member
Post Likes
TEAM OF 3 WEEKEND! Picked up a new shirt after mine was RUINED! at the weekend with the Uni old boys. Going down to Upton on Severn again for them versus Leicester Vipers, top of east versus bottom of west. Picked up the two-way radios tonight... sure they'll come in handy this week (for non-refereeing purposes! :pepper:)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Grrrrrrr and this is why I cant get a fixture this week!! We have given them all over to the other 2 Services and nothing back in return on that date :shrug:

Senior Service mate.........get in line :booty: :biggrin:

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thanks. Yes you can have your jersey back whenever I see you next. Maybe see you at fitness?

I've got Cheshire vs. Lancashire U20 on Sunday mate.

Seeing whether I get a re-appointment on Saturday.

Got re-appointed. L9 league match. Bramley Phoenix vs. Harrogate Pythons.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Got re-appointed. L9 league match. Bramley Phoenix vs. Harrogate Pythons.

Ha Ha Ha

Welcome to the jungle it gets worse here everyday
You learn to live like an animal in the jungle where we play
If you got a hunger for what you see, you'll take it eventually
You can have anything you want but you better not take it from me.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Perhaps with hindsight it could have been called off the day before, but that weather was exceptional. I had both contact lenses blown/washed out and it was the coldest I had been on a rugby pitch. Some of the back lines were in severe danger of hypothermia.

I believe "hindsight" wasn't needed, a simply check of the "extreme wind & rain" forecast would have been sufficient foresight for a sensible/welfare minded decision to save 150 people travelling c.3 hours the following day !

I believe the coaches of both u13s sides had their "severe weather" concerns dismissed the day before.

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Senior Service mate.........get in line :booty: :biggrin:

Hmm im not sure on that, Senior Service you maybe but more likely some back handed agreement has been done with a secret handshake and no doubt a secret email chain only open to a select few................. :shrug:

Chris_j

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Visit to Buxton is off, got moved from the highest club in England to the oldest. Exchange trip to Rugby Lions v Sileby Town in the Midlands Junior Vase semi final. Waiting to see if I get ARs for it.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Hmm im not sure on that, Senior Service you maybe but more likely some back handed agreement has been done with a secret handshake and no doubt a secret email chain only open to a select few................. :shrug:

So you wanted to drive down from Edinburgh to Oxford to ref a game that others far nearer could do just as well :shrug:

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
So you wanted to drive down from Edinburgh to Oxford to ref a game that others far nearer could do just as well :shrug:

Let me ask you this, should it matter where the referee is based if they are the best available for the appointment no matter how close others maybe especially down in the South West/East of the country where the bulk of military Units are?

The majority of fixtures I do when selected for appointment are mainly down in the South so its a normal journey for myself. As it stands in Scotland there are 3 teams currently in the league setup, one of those being my own Unit, so that cuts the options down to 2 teams.

On your basis of staying local I would only ever referee the same 2 teams.................. :shrug:

Last edited:

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Just been asked to do Preston Ladies v West Park Ladies in the Intermediate Cup on Sunday.

Championship 2 v Championship 1 - should be a fun one!

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
I've also decided to try and pick up Rugby League for the rest of the University year - thought it might be a bit of extra fitness during the week.

God help me!

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hopefully getting some higher level games in future as I have just been promoted to level 9 in the mid season review ��
So there's hope for any others who might have thought it was too late to progress a little.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Hopefully getting some higher level games in future as I have just been promoted to level 9 in the mid season review ��
So there's hope for any others who might have thought it was too late to progress a little.
That is fantastic news