Where are you this weekend - 2023/24?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
thats was great. When was this, who was the ref?
I already answered above, but I can add... . Well that had to be 20+ years ago, as I was till playing very regularly, and Im in my 60s now!

no idea who the ref was. Youngish chap . Not his fault.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Good luck!

(Do you have any updated Game Management Guidelines?)
Yeah. Presentation last Saturday. Attended by me, and one club.
We already played a slightly lower tackle height - nipple height. Getting compliance on that was tough.
Christ alone knows what sternum is going to do.

"We expect the first few games will have high penalty counts"

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
"We expect the first few games will have high penalty counts"
in London our Society leaders back in Sept placed a lot of emphasis on telling us that this should NOT be the case : they stressed empathy / education / management ... and only if those didn't work, PKs and YCs.

For the first few weeks.

Looking back I'd say the whole change went smoothly and it certainly wasn't the end of rugby as we know it.
Come the end of the season I hope there are some grass root player polls to find out what they think of the change.

For me I think the game is actually better now. Hopefully statistics will show it's also safer. Fingers crossed

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Westoe vs Medicals (L7 DN1) - Westoe yet to win a game this season and Medicals sat mid table - Graded up to L7 last week so aim is to enjoy this as the new norm

Congratulations.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
in London our Society leaders back in Sept placed a lot of emphasis on telling us that this should NOT be the case : they stressed empathy / education / management ... and only if those didn't work, PKs and YCs.

For the first few weeks.

Looking back I'd say the whole change went smoothly and it certainly wasn't the end of rugby as we know it.
Come the end of the season I hope there are some grass root player polls to find out what they think of the change.

For me I think the game is actually better now. Hopefully statistics will show it's also safer. Fingers crossed
I think the introduction of the DLVs has gone reasonably smoothly because, from my observations, referees have overwhelmingly ignored the strict letter of the law and applied a vast amount of common sense and application of safety as a priority.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think the introduction of the DLVs has gone reasonably smoothly because, from my observations, referees have overwhelmingly ignored the strict letter of the law and applied a vast amount of common sense and application of safety as a priority.
I agree but I would also add that the players have played a big part in this. .. despite the fears over the summer I would say the players have adapted cheerfully and positively to the change
It has made life harder for tacklers, but conversely it has made life safer and more fun for ball carriers, so what goes around comes around

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Kendal 2 V Birkenhead Park 2 North west Intermediate leagues Div 1.
Sadly not reffing but my second week of Coaching after my season ending Metatarsal fracture!

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Can you start a separate thread if you are going to continue this conversation please.
Thanks

Dave Elliott

Administrator
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Had Rams 3 V Oxford Quins. Very one sided Game unfortunately, but second L7 for me. Really enjoyable game and good pace.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
No game this weekend - off to the Lake District for #2 son's wedding.

I just said I'm NOT available Mr Trainor!!

Enjoy your weekends.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Local society banquet Friday night, AGM Saturday morning.
Regional Club/Referee AGMs Saturday, hosted by local society.

Glad my society finally gets to host, but with all the prep going into it, i'll be glad when Saturday night I can sit and relax with a slice of pizza and a cold one.