who’d be a referee

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
To come straight to the point I don’t think this has been a good week for the 6 Nations or rugby in general. Whether it was Matt Carley in Cardiff or Jaco Peyper at Twickenham, the level of abuse has been unacceptable. We long ago lost the moral high ground but if referees are being spoken to by international captains as they were this weekend then what hope have we at grass roots levels next weekend. Farrell, Jones, Pivac were disgraceful role models and their behaviour should be highlighted

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Add Sexton to that list. Repect is fast going out of fashion with referees being accused of all sorts , usually by ill-iformed people and players.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I take it that we all saw the letter that was posted on the FB page run by one of our members; written by a Welsh RFU Club Secretary

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I take it that we all saw the letter that was posted on the FB page run by one of our members; written by a Welsh RFU Club Secretary

I have not, as I ditched my account about a year ago. A PM or copy/paste here would be greatly appreciated.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I understand the WRU are investigating.

timmad

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Add Sexton to that list. Repect is fast going out of fashion with referees being accused of all sorts , usually by ill-iformed people and players.

(I've posted this comment reluctantly as I don't wish to contribute to very thing that riles me) This forum - predominantly discussion between (former) referees from which I learn much - too readily degenerates into disrespectful sniping. Not an example to the RU world.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

Add Biggar tothat list.

Again.

I cant help but think he is playing the wrong sport.

didds

MiniRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
How do people feel about the increasing use by referees of players' names? Personally, I prefer sticking to "Captain" and "number 6" etc. There's an old saying that "Familiarity breeds contempt".

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
How do people feel about the increasing use by referees of players' names? Personally, I prefer sticking to "Captain" and "number 6" etc. There's an old saying that "Familiarity breeds contempt".

Fine.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
No problem with using players names, I can’t see why it’s a issue. The problem is not how Referee’s address players but how players and coaches address referees.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
as long as it works both ways I guess. If the ref wants to call somebody by theur name, then the players can call the ref by his.

whatever.

didds

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
as long as it works both ways I guess. If the ref wants to call somebody by theur name, then the players can call the ref by his.

whatever.

didds

no problem with that, my first name is now “Sir”

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
No problem with using players names, I can’t see why it’s a issue. The problem is not how Referee’s address players but how players and coaches address referees.

THe problem is how BOTH refs and players / coaches address each other. Over familiarity might be fine for some. But for most of us I'd say avoid like the plague.

I've reff'd fellow society members and I stick to Capt / Blue six etc. It avoids
any suggestion of bias.

Jolly Roger

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I have always called captains by their first name and all other players by their number or position even if I know the players well.
Never had any issues with that.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have always called captains by their first name and all other players by their number or position even if I know the players well.
Never had any issues with that.

Yes, but if anyone would have an issue, it would the captain . If he is calling you sir, perhaps he would prefer to called captain?

Last edited: