Who Next?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
And anyway, why didn't player mentality make them want to try to win , as in Dickies post 59 above? Why don't the players have that mentality?
Who would we admire most? The captain who gets a draw by taking the 3 points from a PK, or the captain who goes for the win by kicking for touch and looking for the winning try?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Who would we admire most? The captain who gets a draw by taking the 3 points from a PK, or the captain who goes for the win by kicking for touch and looking for the winning try?
In a friendly, or in a RWC pool game ?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
No, exactly the opposite - if the explanation is as simple as "player mentality" ie it's instinctive, then that is exactly the criticism I am making . They didn't think it through properly

And anyway, why didn't player mentality make them want to try to win , as in Dickies post 59 above? Why don't the players have that mentality?
Did you ignore Didd's post about why the play on may not, in fact, have been on, with the number - and the 'who' - of players committed to the breakdown following the restart?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It's almost like bowling underarm....
I imagine this is a piss-take, but to give you the benefit of the doubt, in what way is playing a dead bat to avoid a loss like bowling underarm to guarantee a win?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Did you ignore Didd's post about why the play on may not, in fact, have been on, with the number - and the 'who' - of players committed to the breakdown following the restart?
Yes but now we are back to it being a calculated decision, and not an instinctive one at all
Didds calculated the WDL odds as being 1%/65%/34% rather than the 10%/60%/30% that mipper and I agreed on.
Given those odds then, I agreed above, kick it out

What odds would you say ?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I imagine this is a piss-take, but to give you the benefit of the doubt, in what way is playing a dead bat to avoid a loss like bowling underarm to guarantee a win?
*Greg Chappell has entered the forum to piss off Brian McKechnie*

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So this looks promising

It is understood that Borthwick is determined to immediately reconnect the relationship between his side and England supporters by demanding the kind of never-say-die spirit from his players that was so evident in Martin Johnson’s 2003 World Cup winners

I reckon that's code for : they shouldnt have tamely kicked it out for a draw, they should have gone for the win

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Kevin going with him.
Wiggy is the new Leicester Coach

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The English game is full of talent and I want to build a winning team which makes the most of our huge potential and inspires young people to fall in love with rugby union the way I did.

"I want the whole country to be proud of us and to enjoy watching us play
Sounds good

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
it's a bit sad when a sporting team is so shit-scared of losing that they're happy to manufacture a draw.

Imagine an Ashes Test, scores are tied, with one ball remaining. Batsman plays a dead bat in case he gets out.
I would respectfully suggest it is far more nuanced than that. As was MS' decision.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I think we have a definitive answer for that.

I give you Chris Robshaw.
And Dallaglio.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
In a RWC pool game you play the percentages
In a friendly at home against 14 players you might think more about roll the dice

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Eddie Jones reflects on that draw

Jones said he felt the writing on the wall after England drew 25-25 with New Zealand in November.

“I had a meeting with the senior directors of the RFU,” Jones added. “I felt, that day, that the atmosphere was bizarre. They were not like they usually are with me. After that, the British media became more and more critical. I understood then that the end was nigh

It's exactly what I have been saying: in this particular game, there was no value in settling for a draw. A draw was no better than a loss. It was the end .

But a win would have changed everything

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
It is understood that Borthwick is determined to immediately reconnect the relationship between his side and England supporters by demanding the kind of never-say-die spirit from his players that was so evident in Martin Johnson’s 2003 World Cup winners

Bye bye champagne rugby, hello red meat… Time for the white Orcs on steroids to rampage again?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
In a RWC pool game you play the percentages
In a friendly at home against 14 players you might think more about roll the dice
Jock Stein gave the best reply about the concept of playing friendlies at the Elite level.