Who's the ref?

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
are there any freds on this topic.... ?
i ran the search function but nothing popped up

if not,
anyone got any thoughts on this ever-so wonderful ever-so user friendly system?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
are there any freds on this topic.... ?
i ran the search function but nothing popped up

if not,
anyone got any thoughts on this ever-so wonderful ever-so user friendly system?

I think PhilE said Warwickshire (Birmingham) had started using it.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
We use it down ere in zummerzet, few teething pobs last year but they were soon sorted and now is a very good system.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Have you got yourself back in the fold Ex-Lucy?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
If you search for whostheref you will get several posts, including three by a user called whostheref who is in fact the creator of it. He is an active referee himself, so understands the requirements. We have switched to it this season after using EasyRef for 10 years, and it looks pretty good. It is being used by quite a lot of societies.

It makes heavy use of email. Referees fill in their own availability on the database. When the appointments are done, the referee gets an email listing his appointments and is asked to accept or reject by clicking an address for each appointment. If he accepts, the home club is automatically informed by email.

Users can log on to the database and see who has what games. You can update your own details (so if your email address is wrong, it is your own fault) but nobody else's. Etc.

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
ok, i am looking at it from a Fixts sec pov ... and i dont u/stand how it benefits us.
i will search on whostheref (all one word, oops)

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
we have gone live with it this season - brilliant. Mark (the developer) has got done what RFU have spent over 6 years trying with Rugby First's appointment system and now they are copying his ideas too !

It is a Society membership database, appointments systems, club fees, expenses etc all in one. If you get the clubs' data in too it is a real time saver.

www.whostheref.com

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
ok, i am looking at it from a Fixts sec pov ... and i dont u/stand how it benefits us.
i will search on whostheref (all one word, oops)
You are also responsible for keeping your contact details up to date yourself. The automated appointments system works well.

I don't know what your current system does, but obviously the prime users are the refereeing community. So far I have not been aware of any disadvantage to the fixture secs.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
In Fixture Secretary mode, the society need to input all the fixtures and it is quite time consuming. Once it is done however everything is a lot easier from then on.

In Warwickshire we tested a new feature this season where the clubs all inputted their own fixtures, however it was a bit buggy and a few fixtures dissapeared. This is being worked on.

Next season we plan to do it ourselves again, but farm it out around the executive and fixtures team.

Also this season for the first time, if we give our bank details to the treasurer, WTR will work out all our expenses from the system. We will then be paid our expenses automatically into the bank every two months.
WTR know the postcodes of where you live and the team you are refereeing and works out the mileage. Treasurer is over the moon about it.

So as a fixture secretary its a pain in the ass getting the fixtures in there to start with, but all systems are like that. From then on its brilliant. You allocate a ref to a fixture, ref, assessor, home and away teams all confirm and you can see on the system that they have done this. All green ticks agains the fixture and you are laughing. Everyones details are on the system (phone, email, address) so as long as they keep these up to date you are good to go.

Referees have to tick or untick their availability on a calendar and for any particular fixtures the system then shows who is available. You appoint them, they get an email and click yes or no in the email. System then emails you back with these results.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
In Fixture Secretary mode, the society need to input all the fixtures and it is quite time consuming. Once it is done however everything is a lot easier from then on.

There is a bulk upload facility. All our League and Reserve League fixtures were input centrally, so the Appointments Secretary decided that as he no longer had to input everything himself, he was happy to enter the friendlies. We have not decided whether we should ask the fixture secretaries to do the work next season. Softlee, softlee, ...

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
There is a bulk upload facility. All our League and Reserve League fixtures were input centrally, so the Appointments Secretary decided that as he no longer had to input everything himself, he was happy to enter the friendlies. We have not decided whether we should ask the fixture secretaries to do the work next season. Softlee, softlee, ...

I'm guessing we used this upload facility this season, however, we have a cross over around here where Bristol, Somerset and D&W all provide refs to the teams in the same leagues, so on the Somerset view we have the Bristol fixtures too (add a few D&W), not a major problem but just looks a little messy when appointments haven't been allocated, but on closer inspection you can see they're "Bristol Teams".

As the others have said, very good once it's set up, but a bit of a ball ache for those involved to get it done.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
we use it in ontario....seems to work just fine. only issues I have noticed have been human errors.