wilko retires

B52 REF

Referees in England
Post Likes
you've probably all heard by now but jonno is to announce his retirement this evening

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Good - for him.

He's not what he was - who is?

Thanks for 2003 etc. Great memories and a great player. Bit posh but comes across as a consummate pro (take note some of his colleagues)

Stop at Toulon as long as you can. Kerching!

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Only from international rugby though, I assume.
Yes you're right.
It's only the end of his International career. On the Toulon supporters' blog it explains he's contract for the club runs until 2015. Also their Club's President suggests that after his recent RWC absence, missing the end of the season for the 6 Nations, would have meant he'd played only half a season for the club. "Money talk" forced his hand?
Sounds to me like his new trainer Bernard Laporte, is taking full advantage of the turmoil in the English staff, to force the players hand. Perhaps I'm wrong on that.

baftabill

Post Likes
Seems like a good decision at the right time.
Few know when to go.

Truly great.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
you've probably all heard by now but jonno is to announce his retirement this evening

Jonno who??? :biggrin:

(carefactor = 0 :pepper: :booty:)

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
A great professional and ambassador for the game.

Known as one of the best kickers in the game, but his tactical and tackling game were just as strong.

Glad to see him go (From a Scotland Supporters point of view) sorry to see him go (from a Rugby Fan point of view).

Mr Wilkinson, I stand at your career!
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Beer Hunter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Surely in light of JW's retirement it must be time for the RFU to sack Lancaster and/or Farrell and appoint JW! England haven't won a single game under Lancaster/Farrell yet and winning a World Cup medal must take him to the top of the pile, even without any coaching experience!

I would also suggest that Thompson should take over Rowntree's job too?

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Nice idea Beer Hunter, apart from the fact that Jonny is still playing for Toulon for the next 4 years.
Far too busy to take on such responsibilities. Also being a good player doesn't mean he'd be a good coach ; surely this aspect is a lesson to be learnt from the Martin Johnson era?

Last edited:

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
I think there may have just been a little tongue in cheek in Beer's post! lol.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Jonny's the sort of player who would have carefully read the memo when was released on 8 June, and have changed his tackling style accordingly on 9 June.

more like dad Phil and bro Mark will have read the memo on 8 June and summarised for JW when he gets back in from kicking practice - that is how it was when he was a youth !

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
A few years back our family went to watch my cousin who played for Saracens. After the match we were waiting for him he came out with JW, they knew each other from junior rugby. We all crowded round our cousin, the guys slapping him on the back the girls touching his cuts and going "Ohh" (except his brilliant sister who said something like "You had an overlap and you ignored it"). JW, waiting patiently for my cousin, stood quietly off to one side with a huge smile on his face enjoying our moment, completely and genuinely unphased. Top guy.