What goes into a FR PMB?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I rather like that Pegleg. Mind if I borrow it? I would use at the toss with the captains though. As you can see I don't hang around much at the FRB.....

Of course, just sent a crisp tenner after each match! Must remember to put the copyright symbol on next time.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
My jokes can be. Though most would question the definition.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Pegleg:284746 said:
For some humour just does not work. Look at Margaret Thatcher and Gordon Brown!

IMO humour never works when it is the powerful cracking jokes at the powerless. Of course they laugh...

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Well indeed. Laughing with as opposed to laughing at.

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Rushforth, my only comments would be after about 90 secs they'll probably not be listening, if not before.

I can hold the attention of 6-10 players for 3 minutes. It takes me at least 2 minutes to feel that I am getting through to them. I'm looking for signs of sentience in them ;)

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I can hold the attention of 6-10 players for 3 minutes. It takes me at least 2 minutes to feel that I am getting through to them. I'm looking for signs of sentience in them ;)

Eyes closed, yawning , picking the mud off their boots & rolling it into cigar shaped objects .... All could be a clue :biggrin:

A word of caution, my U16s now roll their eyes if ref gets far too detailed.

All that said, My PMB gives me the start position from where my 'game management' can follow, and to that end its useful (and personal) to me. On the things we've discussed ATP is then replaced by TP.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Scrum FK? (or PK) There is a mark, the mark for the original scrum. No need to try to make another in the middle of a disintegrating scrum.

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
Front Row PMB:
- Good afternoon Gents (big smile)
- You're all STE?
- I'll telling you what I will tell (have told) them so we're all on the same page
- All we want is safe scrums and fair contest
- So I'll keep my calls fairly slow: C-B-S. listen to me, if I'm not happy I won't call the next one
- Straight and Flat before and after introduction
- Props make sure you bind properly
- Nothing happen be fore the ball is in
Clear? Any question?
- SH, wait for my tap/sign and keep your feed credible

Optional:
SH: What do you mean "credible"?
Me: We don't want the entire crowd yelling at a crooked feed, do we? Makes me look bad so I have to whistle and it makes you look bad.

1 minute top

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Mines goes along the lines of:

Hello Gents, Who are my front-row and replacements today?

Ok, well as you can see from my brilliant physique I was a front-row once too, so lets work together today. You know the drill - Crouch, Bind, Set as per usual. I'm looking for a nice long-arm bind, and no early engagements or pushing. If you have any questions about the Scrums, you are more than welcome to ask when appropriate (at Scrums).

Nine - with the Scrums.. I simply work with a double tap on the shoulder if I'm on your side. If I'm on the other my hand goes up. Is that clear?

Ten - you're responsible for offsides. If you want to check - just ask - at Scrums and Lineouts, I will be checking as well.

Who's my captain? .... Ok - In a minute I will call you over for the coin toss and a chat with the other captain. You've got xx minutes until kick off.

I know it errs on the long side, but I've been gradually cutting it down as I go. It will no doubt be shorter as the season goes on.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes

Ok,..... Correction, "the only time I'll allow" ......

Marauder ...... Scrum FK? (or PK) There is a mark, the mark for the original scrum. No need to try to make another in the middle of a disintegrating scrum.

No, the Initial scrum Mark location ISNT the same for any subsequent scrum infringement. They might indeed have similar locations, but not always.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Under what law reference?

Browners Law.

of all gains to the non offending side in these type of specific 'safety not the issue ' infringements.

What do you do Phil, wait until everyone has separated at the scrum and then mark the FK at the point of the infringement? By which time defences are set?

Just curious?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Browner I think Phil is making the opposite point : with some exceptions it's not generally necessary for a team to wait for the referee to make a mark before taking a quick tap. ..

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Browner I think Phil is making the opposite point : with some exceptions it's not generally necessary for a team to wait for the referee to make a mark before taking a quick tap. ..

??, so where do they take it from then?

[LAWS]The kicker must take the penalty or free kick at the mark [/LAWS]

Last edited:

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
CBS, long bind, start straight, drive straight. Questions?

Works at my levels.

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes

I disagree with you all.

[LAWS]21.2 (a) The kicker must take the penalty or free kick at the mark or anywhere behind it on a line through the mark.[/LAWS]

Although at the scrum the same mark might still be clearly visible, in some conditions the pitch where the scrum was may resemble the wallow of recently rutting rhinoceri.

Although this is a gross generalization, in general FKs are for technical infringments which deserve explanation (unless clearly handled in PMB, of course). At grassroots, I will allow quick PKs, but even then will allow a second before I give the mark for the defenders to retreat 10 metres.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Browner:284849 said:

??, so where do they take it from then?

[LAWS]The kicker must take the penalty or free kick at the mark [/LAWS]

[LAWS] 21.1 Where penalty and free kicks are awarded
Unless a Law states otherwise, the mark for a penalty or free kick is at the place of infringement.[/LAWS]

Phil question (I think) was to ask you where is the law that says a referee must always make a physical mark before a quick tap can be taken...

Last edited:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
[LAWS] 21.1 Where penalty and free kicks are awarded
Unless a Law states otherwise, the mark for a penalty or free kick is at the place of infringement.[/LAWS]

Phil question (I think) was to ask you where is the law that says a referee must always make a physical mark before a quick tap can be taken...

Convention???? without a physical mark ( on the ground- Hense the word) we only have a general 'area' for all kick awarded situations, then what?