[Law] Marler grope

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Gareth Thomas makes an apology

Andy Goode, the former Leicester and England fly-half, was critical of Thomas. “Imagine if someone touched another man or woman up in the workplace and then someone joked about it on TV,” Goode tweeted.

Imagine in the workplace I smash tackled a coworker into the ground?

didds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
so nobody on here in the playing days EVER EVER grabbed an oppo's testicles or nipple in a game to wind them up etc?

Just me then!

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
if you ran at pace at somebody in the street, hit them with a tackle around the hips and you both crashed into the ground a few metres away that would be a criminal offence as well.

didds

But that is within the Laws and dick grabbing is against the laws of rugby

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
agree its against the laws. in the context of why players do it its no different from grabbimg a nipple, or pinching an underarm, pulling an ear etc.

IMO.

clearly everybody else disagrees.

it doesnt make it "right". But it isnt a hanging offense. And isn't anything new

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
agree its against the laws. in the context of why players do it its no different from grabbimg a nipple, or pinching an underarm, pulling an ear etc.

IMO.

clearly everybody else disagrees.

it doesnt make it "right". But it isnt a hanging offense. And isn't anything new

What do you think is the appropriate sanction, didds?
- for Marler
- for me to give if I saw that in my grassroots game next week

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
so nobody on here in the playing days EVER EVER grabbed an oppo's testicles or nipple in a game to wind them up etc?

Just me then!

didds

Really don't get the point of this post. Are you trying to say that because "we all did it.", it makes it acceptable? Becasue It really does not.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
What do you think is the appropriate sanction, didds?
- for Marler
- for me to give if I saw that in my grassroots game next week

marler? anything between a PK to a RC. I can see why it would be a RC, though Im really unsure why pulling someone's ear would be any different and I honestly dont see anybody getingt RCd for that.

grass roots next week - same as above

didds

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Imagine in the workplace I smash tackled a coworker into the ground?

didds

Again irrelevant. A tackle is legal on the pitch. Grabbing my balls is not. Had a plyer done that to me He 's not be using his "tackle " for quite a while. I'd not sort it and not in front of the referee either.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Really don't get the point of this post. Are you trying to say that because "we all did it.", it makes it acceptable? Becasue It really does not.

No - Im saying the hoo hah over it is totally dfissproprortianate.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have heard of people who can't tell their arse from their elbow. I have never before met anyone who couldn't tell their ear from their dick ! :)

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Odd. I normally find you a voice of common sense. Not today. Cleary a 12 week "low" enyty point suggests that WR disagree with you also.

Regrding Mahler specifically. It just adds to the evidence to define the man.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
hey ho. I'll accept your compliment :) . I just find it all a bit storm in a tea cup really.

I wont lose any sleep over it.

- - - Updated - - -

Regrding Mahler specifically. It just adds to the evidence to define the man.

He's got a lot of issues clearly, and needs help Id totally agree.

didds

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Again irrelevant. A tackle is legal on the pitch. Grabbing my balls is not. Had a plyer done that to me He 's not be using his "tackle " for quite a while. I'd not sort it and not in front of the referee either.

Ok so for every high tackle, every player player in the air. Every time there's a kick/punch/etc. Let's get the police involved. Is that what you're saying Mark?

Personally I am in 2 minds on this one. Marler was clearly just being a cheeky chancing git. If I were Alwyn-Jones, he'd have been hit harder than needed for the rest of the match. Is it a RC? Yeah I reckon so. Is Gareth's Comments inappropriate, probably. But that's what we do, we make inappropriate comments for sometimes serious subject matter. It's usually a way to diffuse tension in what might be a difficult conversation. You should hear some of the stuff I've heard. What Gareth said is nothing compared to this.

I think it's been blown out of proportion, but yes there needs to be a sanction. But lets not talk about life-time bans or criminal proceedings. Let the disciplinary committee deal with it, that's why it's listed in the disciplinary sanctions.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
No I'm not Arabchiev.

I think you are missing the point completely.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
hey ho. I'll accept your compliment :) . I just find it all a bit storm in a tea cup really.

- - - Updated - - -

didds

It was a RC offence and should be cited. The guidence regardiing bans is laid down. The only reason it has blown up is people like Dawson and Carling saying "It is all part of the game ho ho ho".

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

- - - Updated - - -

didds
I’m confused why you think sexual assault is a storm in a teacup. In what way is this anywhere close to acceptable behaviour?

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
No I'm not Arabchiev.

I think you are missing the point completely.

Well, I'm only going by what you said. (I'm paraphrasing), you said tackling someone in your work place is different than these guys work place. While you're right with that, it's not permitted to tackle high, late, with no arms. So these offences are not expected likewise kicking punching etc. As such as they're against the Laws and grabbing private parts is also against the LoTG then we should really have equal punishment. Yes or no? I'd say the French 3 should get a lengthier ban than Joe Marler might get.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I’m confused why you think sexual assault is a storm in a teacup. In what way is this anywhere close to acceptable behaviour?

because this wasn't - IMO - sexual assault.

in the same way having a pee against a tree and being seen is not "exposing" oneself ie its non sexually intended.

Simple as that. It wasnt done for sexual gratification. It wasn't done in a sexual manner. it was done to piss AWJ off.

JM seems to have some red-line issues possibly alliued top mental health issues.

That is what I am saying. I appreicate others disagree with me.

Again - merely my thoughts - when I've had my balls squeezed in a maul i have never thought "what a pervert, copping a freel, I have been sexually abused." I would have thought "ouch - that hurts! "

Years ago I did trainig to be a carer. Our trainer was demonstrating various handling techniques to move the incapacitated on a bed etc. She categorically stated that if by total accident we caught a patient's genitals in a hoist sling, or slide sheet etc that was sexual assault, we would end up oin the sexual offender's register and a possible jail sentence. I called her out on it and asked if she could evidence which Act indicated this accidental manhandling was sexual assault. Of course she could not.

What JM did was not accidental of course. But I refuse to accept it was sexual assault. In the same way wrapping some poor bugger's gonads in a sling inorrectly is.

I don't expct anyone to agree with me. I'm merely stating my thoughts on it.

didds

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Sexual assault is the manner of the assault not the motive

Eg it may be done to humiliate or to injure . It's still sexual assault

In JM case I am not proposing this should be dealt with criminally! rugby processes will suffice here

Last edited: