[Law] Marler grope

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I haven't heard it yet but I am wondering if a JM's defence brief could argue that the intent of the law/sanctions was about violent conduct.
"A player must not do anything that is against the spirit of good sportsmanship including including but not limited to grabbing, twisting or squeezing the genitals" is the text I saw.
He could argue the "it was just a bit of fun between mates" line. Some people have remarked that what he did was more of a "tickling and prodding" than anything intended to cause injury or pain. "Grabbing", "Twisting" and "Squeezing" are indicative of intent to hurt.
I just wonder if he'll get any mileage in that.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Its about his only mileage.

Hed probably be better off sayiong sorry and bringing a plate of biscuits.

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I haven't heard it yet but I am wondering if a JM's defence brief could argue that the intent of the law/sanctions was about violent conduct.
"A player must not do anything that is against the spirit of good sportsmanship including including but not limited to grabbing, twisting or squeezing the genitals" is the text I saw.
He could argue the "it was just a bit of fun between mates" line. Some people have remarked that what he did was more of a "tickling and prodding" than anything intended to cause injury or pain. "Grabbing", "Twisting" and "Squeezing" are indicative of intent to hurt.
I just wonder if he'll get any mileage in that.

AWJ has already torpedoed that defence , saying he wasn't happy about it

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Remember the Exeter try celebration of 2 seasons ago ? It was referred to as the 'cock tap'. As it was with players of the same team, I can only assume this was acceptable. Is that the critical difference ?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Remember the Exeter try celebration of 2 seasons ago ? It was referred to as the 'cock tap'. As it was with players of the same team, I can only assume this was acceptable. Is that the critical difference ?

Of course it's not acceptable...

In that environment was it possible for an individual player to easily opt out of the cock tapping ? or was there social pressure to conform? what do you guess?

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I don't think it's my job as referee to police the consensuality of team dynamics, and I believe I'd rapidly lose any authority or respect if I tried to.

I don't know the celebration, but provided its no more exuberant than others, and not shocking to observers, they can do what they like.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't think it's my job as referee to police the consensuality of team dynamics, and I believe I'd rapidly lose any authority or respect if I tried to.

I don't know the celebration, but provided its no more exuberant than others, and not shocking to observers, they can do what they like.

As a referee, on the field, in the game, I agree you can't get involved

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
What is it like when it happens to you
Chris Ashton

.I've had a finger poked up my bum. I don't want to name the player but I feel I should because it bothered me at the time.

"He poked me in the bum twice hard. I was thinking 'what's going through his mind there?' It was hard, violent and I reacted quite badly. It's happened to me a few times. I got it once in rugby league."

"sexual assault" would be an appropriate term for that right.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/i-would-reacted-lot-less-17896758

timmad

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Just to be a devil: if the player was grabbed by a gay player would your position change? Or a gay player was grabbed?

I can't believe that you think that something with an entry point of 12 weeks is worthy of just a chat. 12 weeks puts it on a par with biting; is biting just a chat? It's the same as deliberate contact with the eyes?

Given where WR have the seriousness pegged, don't you think you may be a little off in your calibration?

Players' sexuality is none of my - or I believe any referee's - concern.
As to the entry level stuff, I think it's more concerned with violent conduct not the misplaced joke / wind up that Marler attempted.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Not tolerated it, made my view clear and penalised the player.

Your post said a chat -- and then a PK. I thought you meant a PK if it happened a second time (rather unlikely)

So yes a PK is a PK. But I would say a RC is better

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
As to the entry level stuff, I think it's more concerned with violent conduct not the misplaced joke / wind up that Marler attempted.

"misplaced joke" is the wrong way to categorise this I think. That's the 'banter' defence, which is never clever.

I have now seen on twitter two videos of Marler doing the same thing before (once at a ruck, once in the changing room). It's not a one off, it's a pattern

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

This is not a misplaced joke - or if it is it is one that require admonishment and a severe sanction. It is not a joke to upstart someone, it is not a joke to touch a players breasts, it is not a joke to touch a players genetalia.

It's not banter, it's not a result of 'snowflakes' taking over the earth. It's unacceptable conduct and needs to be stamped out whenever it is seen.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
should the defendant's previous be considered/known by the jury?

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
This isn't a trial , it's a disciplinary, there is no jury

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Just to be a devil: if the player was grabbed by a gay player would your position change? Or a gay player was grabbed?

Or what if a gay player grabbed another gay player?

Or what if a gay player grabbed his gay teammate?

Or what if a gay player grabbed his partner?,teammate or opponent?b

Last edited:

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
I tried and tried to heAr GT on the video. I couldn’t even understand what he said. I mean actually hear clearly what he said.
When I saw it in print, It had lost its impact.