[Law] Marler grope

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Joe Marler caught on camera groping / fondling Alun Wynn Jones .

What's appropriate if you see that ? YC ? RC ?

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Struggle to see how that’s anything short of a red card, TBH. If it happened in the street, it’s a criminal offence.

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Joe Marler caught on camera groping / fondling Alun Wynn Jones .

What's appropriate if you see that ? YC ? RC ?

What a surprise - Joe Marler.
Do you have a match time for the incident?

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
See Twitter ..
Thanks CR.
Loving Gareth Thomas's response!!
On a more serious note, given Marler's disciplinary record for off the ball incidents, he should get a stiff sentence ;-)

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
89355036_10157113608823861_2635241694869585920_n.jpg

No comment ...

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thanks CR.
Loving Gareth Thomas's response!!
On a more serious note, given Marler's disciplinary record for off the ball incidents, he should get a stiff sentence ;-)

Did you ? I though Gareth Thomas response was totally inappropriate. For me that was not a laughing matter

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Thug, £20000 fine for calling Wales's Samson Lee 'Gypsy boy' at Twickenham had zero affect on his behaviour. Just ban him for life. No loss to rugby whatsoever.

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Did you ? I though Gareth Thomas response was totally inappropriate. For me that was not a laughing matter
Well yes, of course the incident itself is ugly and is no laughing matter. But I felt that Gareth Thomas was making a joke at his own expense, rather than anyone else's. As the first (only?) International player to come out, and given that even now there is some abuse from various quarters (eg the recent going-to-hell type comments), in my book he deserves a large slice of latitude.

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Marler’s Gypsy comment was racist. This grope is as bad as the Folau scandal. If the player doesn’t have the integrity to make a public apology, (I suspect he could even spell the word) then the RFU as his employer MUST do something to sanction the repeatedly unacceptable behaviour. If his year’s salary was withheld until he apologised correctly, his missus would surely knock the stuffing out of him.

Last edited:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Worth citing? I'v only seen a still but surely it is a RC offence.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well yes, of course the incident itself is ugly and is no laughing matter. But I felt that Gareth Thomas was making a joke at his own expense, rather than anyone else's. As the first (only?) International player to come out, and given that even now there is some abuse from various quarters (eg the recent going-to-hell type comments), in my book he deserves a large slice of latitude.

His comment sexualised the incident.
The joke might have been fine on a late night chat show I just thought it wasn't appropriate for a half time discussion in a sporting event.

I thought the whole panel erred in treating it too light heartedly, (and GT particularly)

Last edited:

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Marler’s grope was unsportsmanlike behaviour, since it is clearly an attempt to provoke the Welsh captain. Had the Welsh man reacted and punched this lowlife, then he’d have been the one being red carded. How anybody can make light of the incident is beyond me.

I say three strikes and you are out. If you consider that (desipite Marler’s subsequent denial) his 2018 six week ban these acts of foul play were done deliberately to ensure he wasn’t available for England service.
speaking to The Rugby Pod, he explained how he would seek a way out of England camps. Marler said: “The anxiety I would get about having to leave and go away again would start to manifest itself in giving away even more dull penalties and looking for outs, looking for a yellow card, looking for a red card, because if I could pick up a ban, that’s an easy way out without actually pulling the trigger.”
The bloke has a mental health/ behavioural problem, he should see a psychiatrist. And then Joe Marler should never wear the England shirt again. That would resolve his anxiety about attending England camp for once and for all. Not convinced it would end his thugish behaviour on the field of play however. Once a thug always a thug.

Last edited:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
"Interestingly", Eddie Jones refused to comment on the incident.

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Yipe when a player he coaches is at fault, he will say «*No comment, let the decision to the judiciary. That’s what they are there for.*» Only when one of his players is on the receiving end of any foul play, then he mouths off. He is constantly inconsistent in his post match comments.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Gareth Thomas makes an apology
Thomas later apologised for the remark, tweeting: “To the very small minority of people who were offended by my comment yesterday I apologise. I tried to find humour in a situation-that doesn’t mean I condone it, it means I wanted it to not be an issue. So don’t change the narrative to justify how you feel. Be kind.”

Andy Goode, the former Leicester and England fly-half, was critical of Thomas. “Imagine if someone touched another man or woman up in the workplace and then someone joked about it on TV,” Goode tweeted. “People have admiration for Gareth Thomas with what he’s been through and opened up about but I wonder if something similar was done in a homophobic way he’d joke about it?”

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Struggle to see how that’s anything short of a red card, TBH. If it happened in the street, it’s a criminal offence.

if you ran at pace at somebody in the street, hit them with a tackle around the hips and you both crashed into the ground a few metres away that would be a criminal offence as well.

didds

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
"Interestingly", Eddie Jones refused to comment on the incident.

see my comments about worthless pre and post match interviews elsewhere

didds

- - - Updated - - -

Yipe when a player he coaches is at fault, he will say «*No comment, let the decision to the judiciary. That’s what they are there for.*» Only when one of his players is on the receiving end of any foul play, then he mouths off. He is constantly inconsistent in his post match comments.

Mandy Rice-Davies moments. why is anybody surprsed?!! LOL.