Recent content by bellnier

1. B

[Law] Tripping?

Had a brain cramp on Saturday. Defender grabs ball carrier with both hands, stopping his advance, and then sweeps his leg across the ball carriers legs to bring him to ground. Ball carrier complained after that is was either illegal under 10.4(d) (I have always considered a 'trip' as being...
  2. B

[In-goal] 22 drop?

Attacking White kicks ball and it bounces deep into the try zone. Black player elects to play the ball, panics, and kicks the ball forward. Charging White player, while in the try zone, contacts the ball with his hands and ball goes touch-in-goal. White originally put the ball into the try zone...
  3. B

Law 22.8 help please

Ball kicked into in-goal then goes into touch-in-goal or across dead-ball line. Defending team gets choice of drop-out or scrum where the ball was kicked. Does it matter if the ball caroms off a defender, who is standing in goal, before it goes into touch-in-goal or across dbl?
  4. B

Law 22.8

Does law 22.8 include penalty kicks for touch? I was AR at game today and white attempted to reach touch with PK, but ball went over goal line into touch-in goal. Center ref did not offer a scrum to black, only a dropout. Confused.
  5. B

Padded compression shorts

We've had recent conversations about padded undershorts. Every once in a while a player will show up on the pitch with padded shorts. This typically goes unnoticed until the player is in the game. How is this best handled? Should we be preemptive and tell the captains that their players risk...
  6. B

AR positioning for kick

I'm finding some difficulty in judging whether ball has completely cleared the uprights and I've gotten conflicting opinions on where AR1 and AR2 are best positioned. Suggestions please! Thanks. David
  7. B

Touch

I know I'm overthinking this (or not thinking enough). Here's the scenario: PK by white, directed out of bounds. Red1 tracks ball, runs outside the touch line, and jumps. Ball crosses the plane of the the touch line completely. Red1 taps ball into the field of play to be recovered by Red2. My...
  8. B

changes to scrum engagement - 'Yes 9' question

Change to scrum engagement to start very soon..."Crouch-bind-set", then "Yes 9" for put in. Is "Yes 9" a directive to put ball in "immediately"? If so, will there be a time constraint (say, within 5 seconds)? If not complied with, what will the penalty be (FK)? Thanks everyone. DB
  9. B

Leaping

Can ball carrier leap over a player? I've searched 10.4 and nothing specific. Does this fall under referee's discretion as to dangerous play? Thanks.
  10. B

Try awarded?

Collegiate men's 7s. Ball carrier dives across try line with no defender within 20 meters. Ball is in one hand. He moves his arm and hand directly down, but ball slips from his hand around 2 ball widths distance from the pitch surface. Ball, however, drops straight down, and then bounds forward...
  11. B

Dropping the shoulder

USA Rugby's Game Management Guidelines 2012 states that "leading with the shoulder (making deliberate contact with the shoulder first, and then wrapping with the arm/s) or swinging the arm into contact" when tackling is foul play and should lead to PK and admonishment and/or suspension. Why is...
  12. B

Hands in Ruck by SH

Tackle. Ruck formed. Both tacklers roll away smartly. Two ruckers from each team are engaged but neither side is successful in rucking the ball, which stays pretty much dead-center below the ruck. Red SH comes in, puts her shoulder to butt of her last player (but does not bind, of course). Red...