Search results

1. rubyref

Bull's try vs Stormers - TMO Correct?

Bulls try today was referred to the TMO who eventually said it was OK to award the try. I'm not so sure, but wondered if my interpretation was correct. I'll describe from memory, so any mistakes my fault. Bulls 9 grubber kicks through from about 5 meters out from Stormers try line. Bulls 2...
  2. rubyref

Maul or obstruction

Quiet night so catching up on some recorded games. Watching Ireland vs SA from a couple of weeks ago. I've noticed a couple of SA mauls early in the second half (one of which ended with Heaslip YC) where the SA ball carrier at the back of the maul breaks his bind on and then rebinds on another...
  3. rubyref

Heineken Cup - Ospreys vs Saracens - Penalty after TMO No Try decision

Early on second half, Ospreys get ball down very close to Sarries goal line. Ref blows and goes to TMO. Didn't catch what TMO said but it looked like ball didn't get as far as the goal line. Ref restarts with penalty to Sarries with a secondary signal which looked like he was saying Ospreys...
  4. rubyref

Early 'tackle'?

When is a player a ball carrier and fair game for a tackle? Couple of situations, one from my match a couple of weeks ago and one from the Aus-NZ SF, which are similar but may result in different decisions. First one happened in the SF. Don't recall who players were but Aus player going...
  5. rubyref

Advantage for YC Offence

Lust getting round to watching Heineken games from the weekend as was away touring with a U13 team I help to coach at the weekend. Perp. vs Toulon. About 34 min mark high tackle by Perp. on Toulon #7. Toulon #7 stays on feet through the 'tackle' and carries on with his run. Ref blows...
  6. rubyref

Ball carrier going to ground voluntarily

Had this on Saturday. Black ball carrier running towards white defensive line of three players. Two metres short of them he goes to ground voluntarily with no white player in contact with him. He immediately presents the ball back towards his supporting teammates, releases the ball and rolls...
  7. rubyref

4th Game since ELRA2

White 17 black 24. Result was a fair reflection of the game. Conditions good. Not sure of the level but not great quality (Level 11?) Not assessed but injured L7 ref came down to watch and provide advice - very much appreceated CT. Was reasonably happy with some areas of my performance...
  8. rubyref

ELRA IRB Alignment

Idle curiousity question. At a junior match, the ref (home club coach) was wearing a shirt with IRB referee logo on. One of the spectators asked what difference was between IRB and ELRA schemes. (Actually she first asked why I didn't take to the field wearing such a natty lime green number...
  9. rubyref

Coin Toss Options

This is a bit of an obvious one, but I've got myself muddled :confused: and the "vice versa" comment in Law 6.A.3 isn't clear to me. Winner of toss chooses end to play from so opposition have to kickoff. Happy with that. What if winner of toss chooses to kick off. Do opposition get to choose...
  10. rubyref

Baptism of Fire

Well, it was a baptism of fire! Refereeing experience so far has been mainly U12s with a couple of U14s games thrown in. Did ELRA1/2 last year. I got a U19 Colts game as my first society appointment. I'm planning on doing a self assessment and will add to the site in a couple of days for more...