Search results

1. Ciaran Trainor

Orange Card?

Has anyone heard of or experienced use of the Orange card? I Was at an RFU run seminar a few weeks ago and the subject came up that abuse of match officials is creeping into our game. Somebody mentioned there had been a trial in the Gloucester, maybe, grass roots area where refs could “issue”...
  2. Ciaran Trainor

Professional Truck and Trailer

Is it just me that sees this. Multiple times in the professional game, teams break away from a maul, often after an attacking line out, and ref shouts same maul when they have deliberately wheeled and disengaged. For the purposes of this thread we'll ignore players binding in front of the ball...
  3. Ciaran Trainor

Kicker wearing Sunglasses

Saw a photo recently where a player was lining up a conversion and was wearing sunglasses! My assumption was they had borrowed them off the guy who had brought on the kicking tee. It was a sunny day in winter so I assume the sun was low into the player's eyes. Looking at the result it didn't...
  4. Ciaran Trainor

Just a rugby Incident Sale v Stade Francais!

Watched the highlights and early on Manu Tuilagi caught a kick and was clattered by a Stade player who had to go off for a HIA after a clash of heads. Ref and TMO said no foul play "just a rugby incident" How they came to that conclusion is beyond me. Looked a nailed on yellow if lucky and...
  5. Ciaran Trainor

How Do you mark the Line out? Just curious.

I was part of a team of three last week so listened in to my colleague's briefing. He says " I mark the middle of the line so make sure you are half a metre away". I always set the defending mark and tell the attacking team to set their gap. My other AR says I mark the middle and the two marks...
  6. Ciaran Trainor

How's things going in your area?

We've just been informed Silloth have pulled out of Cumbria league L7 as they can't raise a team. Very sad state of affairs. Lost Furness last year, and in previous years, Netherhall, Moresby, Greengarth plus a couple of others in the 80s/90s. At least half the clubs in the county only running 1...
  7. Ciaran Trainor

Where are you this weekend - 2023/24?

Thought I'd get this going again. Windermere v Buxton Pre-season Friendly Saturday, my 22nd season reffing. Anyone in the lakes for the weekend? Come and have a pint. Had my first run out last week, Kirkby Lonsdale v Carlisle. No major issues with new tackle laws. Checked my kit beforehand. Do...
  8. Ciaran Trainor

Summer series Games on Amazon Prime

Just thought I'd share this if anyone is interested. Don't think my club will invest £200 on the off chance they'll get their money back by guys turning up to watch the games and buying a few beers. Not sure many others will either. Any thoughts? Clubs are struggling as it is and don't know...
  9. Ciaran Trainor

Defending Scrum Half Raising leg to block pass.

Had this a couple of times Saturday Black scrum, Green SH follows around and as Black SH attempts to pass to his 10, Green sticks out a leg to block/knock down the pass. Now it sort of looks wrong but I don't think any offence occurred. There was certainly nothing dangerous. Black backrow soon...
  10. Ciaran Trainor

No Fun For anyone

Not sure how I would have felt refereeing this. I know the home team are pushing for promotion and points difference may be crucial. Level 5 in England very sad.
  11. Ciaran Trainor

When are the Elite going to call use it IAW the laws?

I thought they were looking to speed up the elite game? Scrums and lines out don't seem much different and if anything, the elite refs are making the breakdown longer! All three six nations games had multiple rucks where the ball was clearly available yet the refs only call use it when the half...
  12. Ciaran Trainor

how do you Add different like emojis?

When browsing the site, I often click the like button when agreeing with members responses but noticed others are able to add other emojis rather than the thumbs up. How do you do that?
  13. Ciaran Trainor

Aus v SA Handbags at dawn or more?

Apologies for the music accompanying this clip but I cant believe that Eben Eztebeth and Allan Alaalatoa did not receive a yellow card for their little session! There was probably a case for others to be carded who flew in and got involved with only the SA winger getting a yellow for the initial...
  14. Ciaran Trainor

The Dombrant push.

Lot's of debate on this Not sure what law is broken. /The tackle would have been high anyway. Thoughts all
  15. Ciaran Trainor

Jumping over the tackle again

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here&#39;s the incident discussed with <a href="https://twitter.com/Toolan82?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@Toolan82</a> on The42 Rugby Weekly Extra pod yesterday after a question from one of our members.<br><br>Pita Gus Sowakula hurdles Aaron Smith...
  16. Ciaran Trainor

Hollow apologies

I've seen a number of disciplinary cases recently and over the years where the fact that someone who has been Red Carded has their ban reduced as it has been recorded that they apologised to the Ref and the maybe the victim of foul play after the match. I know that often the club suits encourage...
  17. Ciaran Trainor

They have to wait for us sir?

Had this scenario a few weeks ago. Red v Blue, Red had said before the game that they like to get on with lineouts quickly. Both teams were clear with numbers called, 75% was 5, so no confusion there. Blue kick for touch in open play, Red line out. I arrive, make a mark Red call numbers and form...
  18. Ciaran Trainor

Inexperienced professional!

just saw this on the BBC website. not seen the incident however 2 weeks off for being an inexperienced professional rugby player:rolleyes: Bath wing Will Muir has been handed a four-week suspension for making contact with the eye area of Leinster's Josh van der Flier. The 26-year-old was cited...
  19. Ciaran Trainor

Players told to respect referees as abuse soars

Players told to respect referees as abuse soars http://digitaleditions.telegraph.co.uk/data/806/reader/reader.html?social#!preferred/0/package/806/pub/806/page/124/article/247214 What do people think about this? I had a couple of games last month that made me question why I'm reffing at all...
  20. Ciaran Trainor

Fuel problems

Did anyone have them? I was on the verge of crying off refereeing last week as I nearly didn't have fuel to get to the game! Hopefully no worries this week as long as Northern rail doesn't let me down. A 90 mile round trip on fumes would be a challenge.