Search results

1. M

Youth violence

Having just watched the new 'West Side Story' (really good!), I think that if the Jets and Sharks played rugby then there wouldn't be many problems!
  2. M

[Tackle] missed something since lockdown

Please can someone illuminate me about what professional referees are doing with the breakdown since September? Lots and lots of penalties for the player on the ground holding on, but none for the jackler, that I have seen, going off their feet in order to get their hands on the ball.
  3. M

[Ruck] scrum half protection

A ruck, with various players on the floor and standing around . Attacking scrum half has his hands on the ball which is still within the ruck about to lift and pass, and a member of the opposition comes through the middle (noone there to stop him), and takes the scrum half off the ball. I...
  4. M

[Line out] 2 man line out

A 2 man line out in a 15 a-side game. The scrum half is in the ‘receiver position’. Once thrown, the scrum half goes into the line out once the ball has left the throwers hand, and is lifted by the 2 players there and catches the ball.. If a team elects to have a receiver, the receiver...
  5. M

[Tackle] catch in air protocol?

Evening all, is there a protocol for players catching the ball in the air from a kick, and being up ended by someone going for the ball but who is considerably lower than the catcher? Eyes on ball? What would we say is the red card? What are the mitigating factors.? thanks
  6. M

[INTERNATIONAL] England Ireland was it a ruck

In the first half, England were on a very dynamic attack, and were getting well over the gain line. I thought that there was a ruck, and there were some lazy runners from Ireland (couldn't keep up). Ben Youngs was not able to make his first pass as players were off side, and then threw a pass...
  7. M

[Maul] Failed maul

DEFINITIONS 12 A maul begins when a player carrying the ball is held by one or more opponents, and one or more of the ball carrier’s team mates bind on the ball carrier. A maul therefore consists, when it begins, of at least three players, all on their feet; the ball carrier and one player from...
  8. M

[Line out] forming line out

19.8 '(d) When the ball is in touch, every player who approaches the line of touch is presumed to do so to form a lineout. Players who approach the line of touch must do so without delay. Players of either team must not leave the lineout once they have taken up a position in the lineout until...
  9. M

[Ruck] competition in all areas

The tackle occurs, first attacking player arrives, and goes over the ball and leans on his hands, or grabs hold of the tackled player. This is to shield the ball, and prevent competition at the ruck that forms. When I started refereeing 10 years ago, it was very clear that we should not be...