Search results

1. W

Better Scrums

After a crappy game this weekend, where one scrum totally dominated everything and having listened to Jeff Probyn on Sport 5, Sunday say – “the way to improve scrums was to get the ref out of it and let them get on with it, just make sure they don’t stand to far apart to avoid charging on...
  2. W

The Ref Zone

Anybody aware of this site? www.therefzone.co.uk If it is what it is, it seems worthwhile but seems to good to be true....and free. What's the catch? is it worth following? HNY
  3. W

Put my mind at rest please

My game 2 weeks ago. Black 2nd team vs Blue 3rd team, fairly scrappy etc. Blue bundle towards the line and as he crosses is tackled by a couple of black players. Blue ends up on his back ball on chest in in-goal, legs in field of play. The split second blue lands on his back the ball is...
  4. W

Laws 21.8f a little help please.

Hi I am getting back into reffing after a 3 yr on off lay off and am revising the laws in prep. A question as I am now looking deeply into the rules and maybe over analysing. 21.8f Am I reading this correctly? To me it is saying if the opposing team interfere or prevent a free kick from being...
  5. W

Uncontested Maul after Line out

Took a L.8 game yesterday and the home Captain informed me in a defensive line out they will not engage the maul and asked what my decision would be. I confirmed what there action would be and he then added "so it will be a Free-kick for obstruction." I disagreed and said I would probably...
  6. W

A little bit of Ruck help

Hi I am in my second season now, have been well assesed and am getting good reports. I speak with coaches, fans, captains and players after every game and the one recurring comment I get is "a lot of hands in the ruck." I know I do penalise this a fair bit, But I definatley seem to be...
  7. W

Wheeled scrum - whose ball?

As I have moved up a couple of levels wheeling of the scrum seems to be happening a lot more. Scenario - Red have the put in at the scrum, Blue win possesion and the scrum wheels 90 deg. I have been re-setting the scrum with Red having the put in because they were the team "not in...
  8. W

Player crawling on the ground

Recent game and I was getting it in the ear about every decision form the red scrum half. However at one stage a blue player falls to the floor with the ball not held, struggles to get up and crawls a couple of meters with the ball and nobody tried to get the ball form him. During which the...
  9. W

Advantage

Anybody got any simple advice on when to say "Advantage over." I try and play advantage as much as possible, but struggle on the right time to say "Advantage over" and I don't think I am showing any continuity. Some thoughts are: If a team has been given an advantage and are going forward in...
  10. W

Ball touches corner flag and out.

From this Saturday. Attackers kick on, ball bounces in the corner near try line and touch line, hits the corner post and goes out over the touch line (not touch in goal). I gave a line out to the defending team on the 5m. But I couldn't help but think I had got it wrong based on the...
  11. W

Signals Test

I have produced a very basic excel quiz to help me learn all the referee signals. It's a bit rough at the edges but if anyone is interested and think they could use it, drop me an e-mail (via RRF) and I will forward it. I would be interested in some feed back and confirmation that all the...
  12. W

10's What Law's?

Hi all I am officiating at a 10's tournament next week, my first one. Just want to confirm what Law's are used. I can't find anything in the book for 10's unlike for 7's, unless I am blind (no ref jokes please). I am assuming the normal laws for 15's and that any grey areas will come down to...
  13. W

Ball put dead after kick.

Green V Black. Black kick ahead form 10m line, a good kick that I can see is going to bounce in-goal and skid straight out into the dead ball area. Decission was about to be Scrum back at place of kick. Just before the ball crossed the dead-ball line a Green player kicks it into the dead ball...
  14. W

Man on the floor with ball

Another one from this Saturday. Blue #7 with the ball runs into a couple of Red players and Blue #7 falls to the ground with the ball, but not tackled. He rolls/ crawls around a bit releases but blocks the other players from getting the ball by being on the floor. I blow and award PK against...
  15. W

Player Influence

Refed my first game yesterday and I am still on a high. What a learning curve and experience. Must say thanks to this site I am sure I and the game benefited form it. Anyway player influence, I had plenty of "ref can you just watch............." the main one being the fly half shooting...
  16. W

Quiz Question 299 - Can't see where I am going wrong.

Any help with this question please. Question Reference Number: 299 Blue #14 is just outside of their 22 and kicks. Gold #7 touches the ball and it deflects slightly behind Gold #7 and directly into touch at Gold's 10-meter line. What do you do? 19.1d : When a player anywhere in the playing...
  17. W

Penalty or Free kick

Hi I am busy studying the laws ready for my Foundation Course in January and am struggling to understand, when do you give, and in what situations do you give a penalty as opposed to a FreeKick or visa-versa. I know a penalty is for dangerous play but peanalties are also given for...
  18. W

Wilkinson touch down in own goal.

Hi I am not a ref but love this site and watching a game of rugby whilst telling everyone around me why they are wrong due to their lack of knowledge about the Laws. Anyway during the England v France semi final. In the first few minutes France kicked the ball into the England goal area...