90 Seconds For A Conversion

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
The point os that a TJ is some random bloke from one of the clubs, who though he was going to spend his afternoon in the bar and instead got roped in to "run" touch.

I wouldn't trust most of them to know how many points a Try is worth.

ARs are a different matter, clearly. But TJ duty is to put a flag up when the ball goes into touch, and ideally work out who put it there - though frankly most of them aren't too clear.

Now, there may be good TJs out there, but I don't necessarily know them from Adam. And even if I do for example know that the bloke running touch for Green is actually a qualified ref, I cannot allow him any greater influence than the guy who is running touch for Red, who is clearly an idiot of the first order - because the calls of "You're biased, ref - you listen to one TJ but the other!", then have a basis in fact.

So no. Personally I would not recommend that the ref listen to the opinion of an unappointed TJ - they are NOT ARs. Not in this country.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
No it isn't.

When you're reffing it's an AR duty.

If you let a TJ keep score, and rely on his version then you're insane - TJ's are - by definition - unqualified, unappointed, and biased.

That's why either both keep score or neither does. If the managers match with their score at the end of the game I am happy. I don't want to keep score so I don't.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Here's my suggestion as to who to appoint to bring the tee on

tee-lady.jpg

EDIT: Or if Dickie E is the referee, you could arrange for this one to do the job....

DickiesTeaLady.jpg

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
"Do you want the orange one or the green one?"

images.jpeg

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The one with the bigger nipples so as to grip and balance the ball better???

ian w

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I am just getting to grips with the changes following working in the Middle East all summer (well the sun shines where I am). The 90 sec rule appears to start at point of touch down, what happens if the defender then hoofs it out of the back of the in goal area (in frustration obviously). What action do we think we take, when does the 90 secs then start - when the ball returns to the playing area? Just a thought as I am sure there are plenty of cynics who have already worked this ploy out.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
.... what happens if the defender then hoofs it out of the back of the in goal area (in frustration obviously). What action do we think we take, when does the 90 secs then start - when the ball returns to the playing area?
Perhaps stop the clock and restart it when the ball arrives back? :chin:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
For me - if a team wants to play funny buggers at grass roots level and kick the ball away, then I'd be inclined to let them use one if the other balls (yes I know it's against the law) OR I won't time them at all.....I'll classify that as 'equity'!

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The 90 sec rule appears to start at point of touch down, what happens if the defender then hoofs it out of the back of the in goal area (in frustration obviously). What action do we think we take, when does the 90 secs then start - when the ball returns to the playing area?

Manage it.

My reaction would be similar to dealing with a "showboater" scorer or post score sledging defender - big blow on whistle, "TIME OFF", summons to me with skipper, assertive control of miscreant (i.e. "please be quiet, I am talking you are listening") and deliver serious bollocking & warning as to future behaviour for rest of match.

I would then wait until ball is back and a clear "TIME ON" when ball has been secured by kicker in right place to prepare for his kick. 90 seconds starts then.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'd be inclined to let them use one if the other balls (yes I know it's against the law) OR I won't time them at all.....I'll classify that as 'equity'!

it's not against the Law is it? Doesn't the law say that you can use a different ball as long as it's not to gain a specific advantage.
IE the home team can't produce a specific 'kicking ball' , certainly, but in the general grass roots situation where you often have two or three spares balls to use, so that the game can continue while the first one is retrieved from behind the fence/hedge, I don't see any problem with using one of the other ones.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Good Point Ian W, and I agree with Taff.
One thing we will all have to be wary of is the Club anorak who will start his stopwatch as soon as a try is scored and then be moaning at us the rest of the match for allowing 92 seconds.
Seriously though should the defending team be allowed to charge after 90 seconds?
In bigger games the clock will be visible for all to see.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Seriously though should the defending team be allowed to charge after 90 seconds?
In bigger games the clock will be visible for all to see.

No. After 90 seconds are up, the kick is void. All back to the middle for the kick off.

Jenko

Referees in England
Post Likes
This is just conversions isn't it? Is there a time limit on taking a penalty?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
This is just conversions isn't it? Is there a time limit on taking a penalty?

Same as its always been. No change for PK's.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
ie 60 seconds from the arrival of the tee

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
, then I'd be inclined to let them use one if the other balls (yes I know it's against the law) OR I won't time them at all.....I'll classify that as 'equity'!

it's not against the Law is it? Doesn't the law say that you can use a different ball as long as it's not to gain a specific advantage.
No. 9.B.1(a) - the kicker must use the ball that was in play unless it is defective.

It being behind the fence (presumably kicked there by a pissed off opp) doesn't make it defective. But then again I'm not too pedantic with that law.