90 Seconds For A Conversion

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
But thats just what you are doing - allocating "somebody", even if that "somebody is the TJ (and is the TJ the same person each game?)

What I'm saying is that when roles are not allocated clearly the task does not get carried out.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I agree - but why is allocating the TJ more effective than allocating anyone else?

Just so long as the club tell someone that it is their job.

I regularly struggle to write down the score, put my card and pencil away

Keeping score isn't a TJ duty.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... Keeping score isn't a TJ duty.
You're right, but very often the ref asks you to keep score - to double-check his card. But then again, carrying a tee isn't the TJs duty either.

And even if he doesn't, I tend to keep score anyway.

Last edited:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Oh - I can empathise with the issue - I feel their pain; but I have, by dint of much practice, trained myself to be a b@stard

Any one who wants to be a ref should practice the same.

At least to a degree.

But it's the minimum requirement BEFORE you can become a ref? And only when you've perfected the art of being a total b@stard will they let you be a referee coach or assessor?

Once a ref, always a b@stard! (just ask a spectator )

Last edited:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
You're right, but very often the ref asks you to keep score - to double-check his card. But then again, carrying a tee isn't the TJs duty either.

And even if he doesn't, I tend to keep score anyway.

Is that because he's a cheating b@stard??

Whistleblower

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
The kicker has 90 seconds and can drop kick without a tee. My betting is that the tee coming on late will only happen once.

Maybe the referee could carry the tee-(joke)!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
i think it would sometimes be pretty hard for the TJ to get the tee back after the kick.
Conversion - imagine if the kick is from the opposite touchline from yours - that means that after the kick the TJ has to run from behind the posts to the opposite touchline to collect the tee, and then cross the pitch before the restart.

and what about penalties? if the kick misses and is caught, or hits post then ball is in play -- do you really want your TJ to be concerned with re-locating the tee, while the game is on progress? he shoudl be sprinting back to his touchline to do his job.

maybe they could tie a long piece of string to it then just reel it in :pepper:

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Hey Blackberry,

Why not write it up for referees and I can publish it as an article here for people to use.

Could be a good guide!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
maybe the tee should be on a retractable dog lead attached to a post, that is automatically primed to retract after 90 seconds of being pulled away from the post ?

I'll get me coat.

didds

Jenko

Referees in England
Post Likes
All clubs should get one of those remote control cars to get the tee on and off the pitch. Big boys toy will ensure that everyone will be fighting over the control to drive it on and off the pitch!!

Davet

Post Likes
It is when I am reffing.

No it isn't.

When you're reffing it's an AR duty.

If you let a TJ keep score, and rely on his version then you're insane - TJ's are - by definition - unqualified, unappointed, and biased.

Davet

Post Likes
When the T comes on it has a recorded message with it:

"Your mission - should you choose to accept it......"

and then self destruct after 90 seconds.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
All clubs should get one of those remote control cars to get the tee on and off the pitch. Big boys toy will ensure that everyone will be fighting over the control to drive it on and off the pitch!!

This was briefly popular quite a few seasons ago at a few clubs (Havant had one) but by November they gave up due to muddy pitches and the teenage driver had got bored.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Is that because he's a cheating b@stard??
No. It's because they can be forgetful b@stards. :biggrin:

And with the best will in the world, we are only human and will make mistakes. How often have you discussed scores with a TJ/AR at half time, only to find you have different scores? I think you''d be surprised how often it happens.

If on checking the Ref is right - it makes him look good and efficient.
If the ref is wrong (rare but it happens) - I'd rather correct it with only the TJ/AR knowing than given the captains the wrong score at the end of the game. :redface:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
maybe the tee should be on a retractable dog lead attached to a post, that is automatically primed to retract after 90 seconds of being pulled away from the post ?
Top suggestion! This should be incorporated in the next laws review. I love it.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Serious? What do you talk about when a friendly TJ brings you a drink at half time?

When I TJ/AR, the chances are that I know the Ref, so will always offer him a bottle of water at half time and have a chat. When I check my own cards, I've never had a Ref or TJ get arsey / defensive when I tell them what I've got. :chin:

Perhaps things are different in Hampshire.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Perhaps things are different in Hampshire.

Nope - we in Hampshire talk to our appointed ARs and often with club TJs in my experience. As you say, often they come on with water, want to discuss the first half (if appointed Ars we want their input - what am I missing, am I scanning enough, etc) and of course we have to do the "Yummy Mummy top 10".

However I have not asked a AR or TJ what the score is that I can recall. My (and I know others) normal brief with appointed ARs is that I ask one to do running time and score, the other stopped time and blood/sin bins as back ups.

Dave T is a sample of one, and not representative of the other 100 or so referees in our wonderful county :biggrin:

When assessing at Level 5 the first thing the referee asks me as I see him off the pitch is to check the score he has and what I have - as a double check prior to confirming to the teams.