Approved Law Trials

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
This might seem like a silly question but please bear with me. I've been trying to disseminate the relevant info re the law trials at my club: get the coaches involved so they can then brief the players before the new season starts. I've had a bit of resistance along the lines of "that's for internationals only" and "this won't apply to the junior age grades". These law trials apply to everyone, do they not? Or am I going mad?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I checked with the RFU, applies to all age groups from u13 upwards.
PM me if you like and I can forward you the email

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Thanks crossref. PM sent.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Maybe as part of the Patterson master plan to win the 2015 RWC, SRU are only implementing law changes at Elite levels :biggrin:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
with this one:

21.4 Penalty and free kick options and requirements: Lineout alternative. A team awarded a penalty or a free kick at a lineout may choose a further lineout, they throw in. This is in addition to the scrum option.

If the offence occurs at a quick throw-in - can the non-offending team choose a lineout?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I checked with the RFU, applies to all age groups from u13 upwards.
PM me if you like and I can forward you the email

hmm - I think I may have inadvertently confused things.
I asked - can I confirm that the LATS will apply in junior age group rugby (u13-U19) answer YES

BUT I didn't ask about younger ages and I am sure that the variations also apply below U13, where applicable. For example C-T-S rather than C-T-P-E and so on.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
with this one:

21.4 Penalty and free kick options and requirements: Lineout alternative. A team awarded a penalty or a free kick at a lineout may choose a further lineout, they throw in. This is in addition to the scrum option.

If the offence occurs at a quick throw-in - can the non-offending team choose a lineout?
I assume not Dickie because a QTI is not a LO and it mentions "at a lineout".

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes

And hence Dickie's question. Taff's response seems reasonable; but it would seem illogical to decline to offer the lineout option if an opponent prevented a QT from going 5m when there were only three people at the line of touch, but to offer it if the same opponent did exactly the same thing a second later once the fourth player had arrived to form the lineout.

One more for the laws interpretation brigade to get to work on.

Jenko

Referees in England
Post Likes
hmm - I think I may have inadvertently confused things.
I asked - can I confirm that the LATS will apply in junior age group rugby (u13-U19) answer YES

BUT I didn't ask about younger ages and I am sure that the variations also apply below U13, where applicable. For example C-T-S rather than C-T-P-E and so on.

Regulation 15 has not been updated (yet). Still showing Reg from 1/8/2011. In the U11/12 appendix it specifically uses the full engage sequence (CTPE) so would expect the new regulation to have the appropriate sequence. (Watch this space)

http://www.rfu.com/thegame/~/media/...gulations/RFU Regulation 15 Appendix 1-C.ashx

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Regulation 15 has not been updated (yet). Still showing Reg from 1/8/2011. In the U11/12 appendix it specifically uses the full engage sequence (CTPE) so would expect the new regulation to have the appropriate sequence. (Watch this space)

http://www.rfu.com/thegame/~/media/...gulations/RFU Regulation 15 Appendix 1-C.ashx
Bear in mind that before CTPE entered the adult game, midi rugby in England used CTPE as a variant to the standard adult engagement process. So changing the adult process may not result in a change to the mini/midi process.

Jenko

Referees in England
Post Likes
Bear in mind that before CTPE entered the adult game, midi rugby in England used CTPE as a variant to the standard adult engagement process. So changing the adult process may not result in a change to the mini/midi process.

Dixie note I said 'appropriate word sequence' I wasn't suggesting that it would follow suit automatically.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

And hence Dickie's question. Taff's response seems reasonable; but it would seem illogical to decline to offer the lineout option if an opponent prevented a QT from going 5m when there were only three people at the line of touch, but to offer it if the same opponent did exactly the same thing a second later once the fourth player had arrived to form the lineout.

One more for the laws interpretation brigade to get to work on.

A QTI is just what it says on the Tom. However, the ball still needs to go 5m before being played. I would, therefore, take it as read that any transgression would suffer the same sanction and consequence of a full line out

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Preventing the throw reaching 5m is a FK offence at QTI and Lineout.

A FK awarded at a Lineout now has the option of a throw-in to another lineout to the aggrieved party.

New law says nothing about QTI.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Alain Rolland gives us his thoughts on the global trial of five aspects of law amendments.
These trials, in addition to some other experimental laws, will commence at the start of next season in each Hemisphere (August 2012 in the north and January 2013 in the south) and will be applicable to both international and domestic competition.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
[LAWS]A conversion kick must be completed within one minute 30 seconds from the time that a try has been awarded.[/LAWS]

If the non-scoring team deliberately kicks the ball away after the try to impact on the 90 seconds - what is the sanction? PK at 1/2 way or stop the clock?

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
[LAWS]A conversion kick must be completed within one minute 30 seconds from the time that a try has been awarded.[/LAWS]

If the non-scoring team deliberately kicks the ball away after the try to impact on the 90 seconds - what is the sanction? PK at 1/2 way or stop the clock?

Personally, time off and a warning. Happens again, PK and card.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
That's going to happen to everyone here at some time.

Just as some try-scorers will welly the ball in delight, some defenders will welly the ball in frustration. If we wouldn't sanction a celebrating try-scorer - why should we sanction an opponent who has conceeded the try? Personally I think a PK on the half way line seems OTT, and would vote for stopping the clock and restarting it when the ball is back. ATP should apply IMO.

Last edited:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
as said by smeagol, Dave and Taff manage it.

An immediate or even subsequent PK is a total over-reaction at at the enmd of a full ATP process. A quiet word, with skipper if necessary and stop the clock.

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
That's going to happen to everyone here at some time.

Just as some try-scorers will welly the ball in delight, some defenders will welly the ball in frustration. If we wouldn't sanction a celebrating try-scorer - why should we sanction an opponent who has conceeded the try? Personally I think a PK on the half way line seems OTT, and would vote for stopping the clock and restarting it when the ball is back. ATP should apply IMO.
Don't agree with Welshmen much ( my father and half of my local club are welsh) but hey , yes agree with you sir