Ball hits corner flag from penalty kick

MiniRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Blue team have a penalty and kick to touch and the ball hits the corner flag and bounces back into play?

- what's the decision? I think it's Play on.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
You mean it hits the corner post (the flag is simply the floppy bit on top).

And yes, play on.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Blue team have a penalty and kick to touch and the ball hits the corner [POST] .. bounces back into play? - what's the decision? I think it's Play on.
I was told to treat the corner post just like a goal post, so yes play on.

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
If it wasn't a PK, outside the 22, and was deflected t'other way into touch. Where is LO?

Davet

Post Likes
I suspect you are wondering if the corner post counts as in touch or not, from the way the law is phrased it seems not - so the question would be:-

Did it touch ground in the FoP before striking the corner post and being deflected into touch?

If so - on the 5
If not - in line with kick

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
I suspect you are wondering if the corner post counts as in touch or not, from the way the law is phrased it seems not - so the question would be:-

Did it touch ground in the FoP before striking the corner post and being deflected into touch?

If so - on the 5
If not - in line with kick

Thanks but nope, Davet. I accept that the corner flag pole proper is not touch, so if it is deflected direct into touch is the LO on the 5m line or back where it was kicked?

And, back to original query, if the ball hit the post at it's base wither goest thou then?:hap:

Chickref

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
The corner post both exists and doesnt exist. If you hit it, with ball or body, it is not in touch. However, all deflections off it are valid. So if it hits the corner post and goes out, it's back where the kick was made.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
The corner post both exists and doesnt exist. If you hit it, with ball or body, it is not in touch. However, all deflections off it are valid. So if it hits the corner post and goes out, it's back where the kick was made.

not if the ball bounced inside FoP before it hit post ...

didds

Chickref

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
:rolleyes: Well yes, but I figured we all knew that if it bounces in the FoP first and goes into touch, the lineout is either where it went out or on the 5.

Note: If it bounces off the corner flag back into the FoP, play on. :D

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes

And, back to original query, if the ball hit the post at it's base wither goest thou then?

Davet

Post Likes
You need to give us more data.

Back to my original response.

Did the ball bounce in FoP before striking the post.

If so gain allowed, if not no gain.

When the ball hist the base of the post - junction with line, then it de facto hits the line as well - ie junction of dbl and tl - if it then goes in touch its in touch, if it goes tig its tig - if bounces back into play.... well surely that should be touch....? it has clearly struck the touchline.

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes
If it hits the post at its base, i.e. in contact with the post and the ground at the same time and that piece of ground is:-

inside the FoP, then.... on the 5

outside the FoP (on the line or beyond) ..........in line with kick.

Davet - I can't believe I spent 7 minutes typing that, as yours wasn't there when I started!

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Note: If it bounces off the corner flag back into the FoP, play on. :D
Ditto (and perhaps with more urgency) if it bounces into in-goal.

Don't feed the pedant!

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
And, back to original query, if the ball hit the post at it's base wither goest thou then?
Makes no difference chopper.

Only if the ball is grounded at it's base does it become different. At a kick it is as it would have been if it had hit the post at the top.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Makes no difference chopper.
WSee-ee-ee-ll, I'm not so sure Robbie. Ian has piccies of flags in NX where the flag is at the outside edge of the line, so any ball hitting the base would also hit the line. Surely the point about grounding is evidence that in the official mind, the junction of the flag and the ground is on the line. So the act of putting it there should be the same as having it fall there. IMO, the ball has hit the junction of the goal line, the TIG line and the touch line - it is therefore in TIG.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
WSee-ee-ee-ll, I'm not so sure Robbie. Ian has piccies of flags in NX where the flag is at the outside edge of the line, so any ball hitting the base would also hit the line. Surely the point about grounding is evidence that in the official mind, the junction of the flag and the ground is on the line. So the act of putting it there should be the same as having it fall there. IMO, the ball has hit the junction of the goal line, the TIG line and the touch line - it is therefore in TIG.
They were from when the ELV's were here.

They've gone, so no longer an issue.

Davet

Post Likes
But even if the post is set in the middle of the line the ball striking the base of the post may well strike the line as well.

Problem will be of course that if you are more than about 10 feet away it will be hard to be sure - and i suspect most of us would simply look at where the ball ends up - in touch = touch, in tig = tig, in-gol or in fop = play on.

Perhaps not 100 spot on technical accuracy, but I think realistic in games with no appointed TJ and no TV cameras...