booing & Barbarians

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
IME God Save the Queen is viewed as the English anthem in Wales. We have our own very good one. I was booing in Welsh on Saturday :)

I'd never boo an anthem. I just respect those of whom it belongs to, in silence.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Are we sure they weren't playing the Liechtenstein national anthem?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Agreed. It is an anglo-centric anthem. The English can have it and the Cross of St George (always makes me laugh to think of Nigel Fartage saluting the flag of a foreigner).

There you go, a 100 years ago I don't think anyone would have considered GSTQ to be English specifically. But it has become that, which which is a shame

We English would like our own, truly English song as GSTQ is not English
The other nations don't like GSTQ as it's too English

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Jerusalem and Land of Hope and Glory are the most usual suggestions to replace it, but they're overtly religious which is maybe not suitable for a secular country.

I'd propose (at least for the BaaBaas, if not England/UK) that I Vow To Thee My Country is a less preachy alternative, and the tune is already well-known in the rugby world: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvouc8Qs_MI

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
There you go, a 100 years ago I don't think anyone would have considered GSTQ to be English specifically. But it has become that, which which is a shame

We English would like our own, truly English song as GSTQ is not English
The other nations don't like GSTQ as it's too English

100 years ago it was GSTK :)

The English have always usurped the Union Flag - look how many Union Flags there are at the World Cup Final in 1966 - some the right way up. Ted Bailey erstwhile self appointed England Football mascot was covered in Union Flags - he even managed to get on the pitch in 1982 at Twickenham under the pre-text of covering Erica Roe's t*ts with his Union Flag - dirty old *******!

The "recent" arrival of the CoSG flag has at least given the English something appropriate to wave at Football/Rugby however like most things English it gets tainted/associated with Englishness I have difficulty with - Bulldogs (British Bulldog anyone?), John Bull and other stuff.

I went to get my haircut the other week and all the covers (to keep your clothes hair free) were in a Union Flag design.

"Whose idea was this" I asked the tonsorial artiste.
"Why? Don't you like them?" he asked.
"We look like we're having a sleepover at Tommy Robinson's", said I.
"What, the one from Time Team?"

FFS! Although I did have an inward chuckle.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
GST king / queen is anti Scottish. It has always been about the English empire. The English are welcome it it and it's dirge of a tune.

Skids

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
You mean the song that had the verse about crushing the rebellious Scots with Marshal Wade? That's your version of a unifying anthem? Yeah. No.

The Scottish national anthem is hardly a song of brotherly love:

And stood against him,
Proud Edward's Army,
And sent him homeward,
To think again.

And why would anyone boo another countries' anthem? Says more about the boo'ers than anything else, is hugely disrespectful and has no place in a rugby stadium where respect is one of our bedrocks.

tewdric

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'd never boo an anthem. I just respect those of whom it belongs to, in silence.

It was quite amusing in context. As a general principle I'd agree with you.

Anyway you going to the dinner in Porthcawl? Got my ticket booked ?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

And stood against him,
Proud Edward's Army,
And sent him homeward,
To think again.

And why would anyone boo another countries' anthem? Says more about the boo'ers than anything else, is hugely disrespectful and has no place in a rugby stadium where respect is one of our bedrocks.

...those days are passed now.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

And stood against him,
Proud Edward's Army,
And sent him homeward,
To think again.

Not sure of your point. The Scottish anthem is theirs alone. GSTQ is foisted up up the Scots and is anti Scot. The difference is very obvious.

100% agree with that part.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
I’d never boo “God save the Queen” however surprised I might be to hear it at a Barbarians match, without a single Englishman on the squad. If GAA headquarters Croke Park can remain silent for the British anthem, then the Welsh must be a tad uncouth to boo. That said outside of Ireland, silence for the kicker seems to be a thing of the past.

tewdric

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It followed the wave of incredulity that followed the announcement of the "adopted anthem" of Barbarians RFC - when none of the players were English and the club has an international basis and a welsh HQ. A lot of Welsh people, while having no fight with the English per se, get massively pissed off when there is an assumption that English and England are the defaults.

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I've always liked Ireland's call - but it would be a strange choice for an English or UK anthem...

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
There's a strong section of Boozed up "theatre going" idiots who think it acceptable. I've heard booing and jeers from Lansdown Road for GSTQ too. So I'd be careful with the snide comments. From people who were there, there was booing from Welsh, Scots, Irish and others present in the crowd.

It has been suggested that it has played of late because the Barbarians are RFU affiliated.

The respecting the kicker thing is totally different. And The Irish are not "whiter than white" about it. That discussion has been done to death and wil be again on another thread.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So perhaps I can conclude, without controversy , that England and UK both need new Anthems

Last edited:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Strongly suspect you might be mxing up codes there. Soccer fans are not known for their respect.

I know the Blues haven’t won over Cardiff supporters, in the same way the Irish provinces have won over the club fan base. But these stats must be very worrying for WRFU.

I'm talking rugby not football. Not mixing anything thanks.

I'm not sure what the second paragraph has to do with it.

Thirdly. Whoever the WRFU are I doubt they are worried about rugby.