booing & Barbarians

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
WRU was called WRFU from 1881 until 1934. So what problem do you have with some people calling rugby Rugby Football? It’s not a big deal. In France they no longer use the term Union they call their’s a Federation.

If any Irish fans had booed GSTQ in the last 25. years it’d be all over social media. Without a precise date, it didn’t happen. It’s not being holy than thou in such a discussion to say Ireland’s fans are still respectful. It just a statement of fact. Your quick to tar the Irish travelling support to suggest they were part of those who booed in Cardiff. Not sure where you got that idea.

Many people applauded the anthem.

The problem is that they've not been called it since 1934. Time for you to catch up really.

People throughout the crowd booed. Sorry I did not check every single passport to find each ID. T osay no i=Irih were booing is as valid or NOT as valid and saying they were booing. I know of a number who were. THey told me so! Do you really want me to name them?

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
The Barbarians have been playing God save the Queen since before I was born. Perhaps it’s time you lot caught up?
That you know some Irish oiks, sure. Every country has some.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It's clear from the Cardiff clip that people were booing the fact that GSTQ was announced as the Baa Baas adopted anthem, rather than the anthem itself.

You have to understand that L'irlandais knows everthing better than anyone else whether he wa there or not. It's a pity you can't put him on ignore but there it goes.

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Put me on your ignore list please, be my guest.

Would Welsh supporters boo the Marseillaise if the French Barbarians played in Cardiff?

It would appear that it is normal for Baabaas to adopt the anthem of their Union. When the announcement said they would play God save the Queen, he didn’t mean it was something entirely new for the team, more like this is what’s going to happen, like so many times before.

In Wales and Scotland it seems quite common to boo or whistle when God save the Queen is played. Fine.
In Ireland we are worried about our political future. Rory Best wasn’t belting out the anthem, but you can be sure nobody would have an opinion about it if he did. Only a tiny minority would consider doing so and nobody would let them in the stadium on match day.

Last edited:

L'irlandais

Post Likes
The problem is that they've not been called it since 1934. Time for you to catch up really.

People throughout the crowd booed. Sorry I did not check every single passport to find each ID. T osay no i=Irih were booing is as valid or NOT as valid and saying they were booing. I know of a number who were. THey told me so! Do you really want me to name them?
For over 50 years nobody in Wales batted an eyelid at WRFU, now suddenly it’s disrespectful. Sounds like the Monty Python sketch on the Judean People's Front, not to be confused with the People's Front of Judea.

Perhaps Wales has more Grand Slams than Ireland because they bought into shamamateurism earlier to avoid the drain of player to rugby league.

Last edited:

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I could say ignorance from you. You know it's the WRU as you've been told before. Indeed if you are such an expert on our Union you are bound to know. But keep up your attitude of running down other nations.

The population figures for Leinster etc are very different to the areas covered by our "regional" sides. I'm sure you are aware of that too. You are comparing differend beasts. YOu missed the point with Cardiff Blues Cardiff Support generally did move over the the regional side. When we we forced in to taking on the Valleys it was the valleys that wanted to keep their identity and did not buy in. The falling support since then has more to do with the poor on field displays. We also have the counter attraction of, until recently premier league football is the area. But hey I bow to the expert of the union of whom you cant even give the respect to of getting its name right.

The WRU when Moffat was in a position of influence was poorly run and that continued under Lewis. Still we manage more GS successs that Ireland. So I guess you pays your money.

NO I don't have dates as I am not that bothered about it. I just get pissed off with your hollier than thou attitude.

But hey I bow to the expert on the union of whom he can't even give the respect to of getting its name right.

You are upset/offended by 'F' or Football being added to the Unions name, as it is in many other unions?

tewdric

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Rogue player on deck Marc. Everyone knows we get on with the Irish and unite in banter against the Saes! :)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Re: booing & Barbarians

- - - Updated - - -

You have to understand that L'irlandais knows everthing better than anyone else whether he wa there or not. It's a pity you can't put him on ignore but there it goes.

becasue your ignore list full already ?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes

Would Welsh supporters boo the Marseillaise if the French Barbarians played in Cardiff?

It would appear that it is normal for Baabaas to adopt the anthem of their Union. When the announcement said they would play God save the Queen, he didn’t mean it was something entirely new for the team, more like this is what’s going to happen, like so many times before.

In Wales and Scotland it seems quite common to boo or whistle when God save the Queen is played. Fine.
In Ireland we are worried about our political future. Rory Best wasn’t belting out the anthem, but you can be sure nobody would have an opinion about it if he did. Only a tiny minority would consider doing so and nobody would let them in the stadium on match day.

You're not the only ones.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
You are upset/offended by 'F' or Football being added to the Unions name, as it is in many other unions?

Our union's title is WRU not WRFU nothing to with Football or the Letter F. It is simply a case of having the manners to get the name right.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Unfortunately the system does not allow Mods to be "ignored". Sadly you've twisted this thread form it's point for you own reasons. You've been schooled by Ian on matters NZ yet you still put your self foreard ans the experts on all other nations. I'd worry about your own countries rather than the rest.

For the record:

The booing was wrong. END OF.
The choice of anther, is odd whenever the decision was made.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Rogue player on deck Marc. Everyone knows we get on with the Irish and unite in banter against the Saes! :)

I'd link up with the English set up over the Pro O'14 any day of the week.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Unfortunately the system does not allow Mods to be "ignored". Sadly you've twisted this thread form it's point for you own reasons. You've been schooled by Ian on matters NZ yet you still put your self foreard ans the experts on all other nations. I'd worry about your own countries rather than the rest.

For the record:

The booing was wrong. END OF.
The choice of anther, is odd whenever the decision was made.

I'itlandais is mod???

Is that true ?
He didn't mention it on this thread, asking who the mods are
http://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread.php?20940-Who-are-the-admins

L'irlandais

Post Likes
I'itlandais is mod???
Yeah, so watch you step mate!
:pepper:
Is that true ?
He didn't mention it on this thread, asking who the mods are
http://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread.php?20940-Who-are-the-admins
No it’s not entirely true. Robbie gave me moderating powers over the French forums, when we had a spike of French Referees on here after their RWC. Interesting he cannot ignore me though.:shrug:

I am fairly convinced Marc is referring to this incident at the Aviva, because never have Rugby supporters disrespected God save the Queen there. If you claim differently then at least say what date this occurred, how difficult is that. To suggest otherwise, and not give any proof, shows a lack of manners. I must confess I never watch association football. The idea of a small island having two teams seems ludicrous to me. (I noticed on the audio, the moron who booed loudest (or was nearest the phone/camera), couldn’t sing the Gaelic anthem correctly mixing up the lines; not the sharpest pencil in the box obviously.)

Last edited: