booing & Barbarians

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Now we've got the internicene nickering over with,does anybody actually know whose bright idea it was to play GSTQ allegedly as the Baa-Baas anthem at Cardiff?

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Now we've got the internicene nickering over with,does anybody actually know whose bright idea it was to play GSTQ allegedly as the Baa-Baas anthem at Cardiff?

didds

It was Israel Folau's idea ..

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

didds

As I posted, the suggestion is the Baa Baas have adopted it due to being RFU affiliated. Seems Crazy to me but there it is.

A better choice? I have an idea: Born To Run by Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Im not doubting you Marc - but that's just the most pathetic "reason" and frankly illogical. FFS.

didds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Re: booing & Barbarians

TRUE!

- - - Updated - - -

Im just... stunned... that ANYBODY incolved in this decsion ever thouht that was even vaguely... logical?

didds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
it used to be played in the pre match band entertainment thingy. No idea if they stifll do as its been years since I last went to twickenham.

didds

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Surely if England want a new anthem there is only one choice: Flanders and Swan.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
I'm talking rugby not football. Not mixing anything thanks.

I'm not sure what the second paragraph has to do with it.

Thirdly. Whoever the WRFU are I doubt they are worried about rugby.
Such a picky guy. I meant Welsh Rugby Union and believe me they are very jealous of the IRFU financial model. So much so they copied the Provinces setup for Wales. Our stadiums are full on match day, the grassroots support buys into the provincial system in Ireland. Cardiff supporters wouldn’t pay to watch the Blues play, has everything to do with it. “Plastic” provinces is a Welsh problem.

Since you are so demanding of others, tell me what dates did you witnessed booing at the Aviva? Because I simply don’t believe it. Given the political fall out after GSTQ was booed at a Northern Ireland v Republic soccer match last year. No way the British anthem was booed at a Rugby match there and we never heard a word about it. Not possible in this day and age, of twitter.

Last edited:

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Surely if England want a new anthem there is only one choice: Flanders and Swan.

Wot, "Mud, mud, glorious mud"? I think the drainage at Twickers has been improved in recent years.

There used to be some what Bill McLaren called "ill mannered booing" at GSTQ at Murrayfield when it was played as the Scotland anthem. Significantly it was much less booed when played once for England, and the booing also was much reduced when the SRU finally changed their view of the anthem. Something that may have been made more difficult as Princess Anne, the Princess Royal has been the SRU patron for over 30 years and was when the anthem was changed.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Such a picky guy. I meant Welsh Rugby Union and believe me they are very jealous of the IRFU financial model. So much so they copied the Provinces setup for Wales. Our stadiums are full on match day, the grassroots support buys into the provincial system in Ireland. Cardiff supporters wouldn’t pay to watch the Blues play, has everything to do with it. “Plastic” provinces is a Welsh problem.

Since you are so demanding of others, tell me what dates did you witnessed booing at the Aviva? Because I simply don’t believe it. Given the political fall out after GSTQ was booed at a Northern Ireland v Republic soccer match last year. No way the British anthem was booed at a Rugby match there and we never heard a word about it. Not possible in this day and age, of twitter.

I could say ignorance from you. You know it's the WRU as you've been told before. Indeed if you are such an expert on our Union you are bound to know. But keep up your attitude of running down other nations.

The population figures for Leinster etc are very different to the areas covered by our "regional" sides. I'm sure you are aware of that too. You are comparing differend beasts. YOu missed the point with Cardiff Blues Cardiff Support generally did move over the the regional side. When we we forced in to taking on the Valleys it was the valleys that wanted to keep their identity and did not buy in. The falling support since then has more to do with the poor on field displays. We also have the counter attraction of, until recently premier league football is the area. But hey I bow to the expert of the union of whom you cant even give the respect to of getting its name right.

The WRU when Moffat was in a position of influence was poorly run and that continued under Lewis. Still we manage more GS successs that Ireland. So I guess you pays your money.

NO I don't have dates as I am not that bothered about it. I just get pissed off with your hollier than thou attitude.

But hey I bow to the expert on the union of whom he can't even give the respect to of getting its name right.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The Scottish national anthem is hardly a song of brotherly love:

And stood against him,
Proud Edward's Army,
And sent him homeward,
To think again.

And why would anyone boo another countries' anthem? Says more about the boo'ers than anything else, is hugely disrespectful and has no place in a rugby stadium where respect is one of our bedrocks.

I know the thread has moved on but your reference to rugby being a game of respect struck a cord with me. I believe rugby USED to be a game of respect, but it is in pretty short supply nowadays. I rarely get any respect from losing teams, coaches and supporters who are too happy to blame a referee so their loss than address their own failings. Not a great amount of respect out on the pitch either which is a real shame.

L'irlandais

Post Likes
WRU was called WRFU from 1881 until 1934. So what problem do you have with some people calling rugby Rugby Football? It’s not a big deal. In France they no longer use the term Union they call their’s a Federation.

If any Irish fans had booed GSTQ in the last 25. years it’d be all over social media. Without a precise date, it didn’t happen. It’s not being holy than thou in such a discussion to say Ireland’s fans are still respectful. It just a statement of fact. Your quick to tar the Irish travelling support to suggest they were part of those who booed in Cardiff. Not sure where you got that idea.

Many people applauded the anthem.

Last edited:

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Compare it for yourself, to 80,000 Irish supporters

tewdric

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It's clear from the Cardiff clip that people were booing the fact that GSTQ was announced as the Baa Baas adopted anthem, rather than the anthem itself.

L'irlandais

Post Likes
It’s not that clear at all.

A fortnight ago nobody booed it. Rory Best looked equally uncomfortable with it.

L'irlandais

Post Likes
No one thought to boo it last year either. With players from nine different countries and Johan 'Rassie' Erasmus as coach with a broad smile on his face.

So perhaps it an underlying malaise in Wales, but it would never, ever, cross my mind to boo another team’s anthem. Sorry, YMMV. It is not something new. While it may have been news to some Welsh fans, perhaps they should get out more.

Last edited:

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Clips from 2017, 2016, even back in 1973 too

So no sorry, only in Cardiff does it seem normal to think about such f—-i g nonsense. The Baabas didn’t simply adopt the British National anthem by surprise last weekend. It has long been that way.