calling "my ball"

durbs

Player or Coach
Post Likes
my u14 son has the habit of calling my ball while charging up when his team restarts the game. He has found this often leads to the catchers becoming confused and leaving the ball to bounce or to be taken by him or his team mates to his teams advantage. He has been told by a coach that calling "my Ball" is not allowed and he could be penalized by a switched on ref. i am trying to find out if this is the case or not. can anyone help?

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
are you talking about a kick off/restart kick? nothing I know of - unless it's a youth thing that disallows yelling. may be a local/league reg but not in law.

woody

Referees in America
Post Likes
If it is to legitimately make a call for the ball, no problem. The other kids have to realize there are two teams on the field and both want the ball.

If he is trying to do a Caddyshack "Noonan", that could be unsportsmanlike.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
NO problem.

He wants the ball he should call for it.

He may also call for it as a dummy.

Happens all the time, any opponent stupid enough not to realise that he is on the other team will have more problems in the game than dealing with this.

How many times do we hear a coach saying "Put a name on it!"

Which leads me to my only criticism - he should be calling "Durbsjnr's ball" rather than "my ball".

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Rumor has it that "my ball" is ungentlemanly conduct in the round ball game.

No problem for me as a referee.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
it sounds OK I guess (but like everything you have to be there and see it).
I imagine it works just once in each game.
was it the coaches idea, or his?

Donaldo01

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
I imagine it works just once in each game.

You'd be amazed ..... I did a game last year at u17 and it worked three or four times .... the opposition coach was having a seizure with his players that they could be caught several times with the same ruse!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
is there a difference between shouting "my ball" to put the oppo off catching it themselves and a hooker tossing the ball underarm in an off hand manner to a l/out player approaching the 5m line in order to win the lineout ?

didds

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
is there a difference between shouting "my ball" to put the oppo off catching it themselves and a hooker tossing the ball underarm in an off hand manner to a l/out player approaching the 5m line in order to win the lineout ?

didds

Not at all. I have no problem with either... :biggrin:

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If the other team are stupid enough to fall for it then too bad so sad. I would have no issue with it at all.

Adrian Hunter

Referees in England
Post Likes
I will admit to not being an expert on the rules yet but....

To my mind this is no different to a defence player calling for the ball in open play attempting to make the attacker think he is in support. This was always OK in my day!

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I,ve also see guys call for a kick when it is clearly going over their head.
Eg One of my teamates stood on 10M line calls "my ball" or better still "Ciaran's Ball" when I'm stood on 22, Smart play and often just enough to put chaser off for a split second.
The other one I used to do was call for a mark when I knew I was outside 22, again just gives you a split second and puts chasers off clattering you.

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
First off, I don't see any problem at all with a player "running the right way" (so at a restart) calling for the ball. But:

To my mind this is no different to a defence player calling for the ball in open play attempting to make the attacker think he is in support. This was always OK in my day!

Is it still?

I've not seen this often but in one game where a side was doing it the other side were seeing red mist over it.

I now think that at a low level game, I'd be inclined to "manage" it out to avoid any flash points. At higher levels (say 8 up), the teams should know to look before passing.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

didds

we discussed a scenario like that before and some people didn't like it because
- you are fooling the referee, who also is not sure if that was supposed to be a LO throw
- there's a slight danger area introduced in ruses that lead to some players on the pitch of the opinion that the ball is in play, and others think it isn't (tackles coming out of nowhere etc)

the 'my ball' ruse doesn't involve either problem

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Playing Devils Advocate here a bit, but what's the difference between shouting "my ball" at a kick off / restart, and shouting at a player taking a kick at goal - which is against the LoTG. :chin:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Playing Devils Advocate here a bit, but what's the difference between shouting "my ball" at a kick off / restart, and shouting at a player taking a kick at goal - which is against the LoTG. :chin:

Because the latter is specifically excluded in LoG in 9.B.3(c) for conversions.
Shouting at a kicker and 'my ball' in open play to opposition is covered also under 10.2 UNFAIR PLAY and a 'catch all' Code of Conduct which includes the quote "Rugby is rightly proud of its ability to retain high standards of sportsmanship, ethical behaviour and fair play".

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Because the latter is specifically excluded in LoG in 9.B.3(c) for conversions. Shouting at a kicker and 'my ball' in open play to opposition is covered also under 10.2 UNFAIR PLAY and a 'catch all' Code of Conduct ..
So I take it you wouldn't approve of it either.