Change to Regulation pertaining to wearing Goggles.

spikeno10

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Yes but where has sense got us in any of these laws? Sense says young players play better when they aren't cold but we are all well aware of the leggings thingy. Sense says shin-pads are a good idea to stop young players getting kicked at scrum time but the law does not allow for them (in a manner you can buy anywhere).
Hopefully someone will get a message out fast from Twickenham (and update all links to this on the sites) and ensure the CCCs, clubs, RDO and all get the same message.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
the leggings issue is of a different nature -- leggings aren't mentioned in the laws or regulations, they are not 'banned' exactly but rather ruled out by ommission from the allowed list.
but (in england at least) goggles are specifically addressed in the RFU regs.

davidgh

Referees in England
Post Likes
RG-J of the RFU Refs Dept has confirmed that this change to u7-8 was a reaction to a clarification received from the IRB, it is however how things currently stand.

RGJ is working on both issuing an all club clarification suitable for digestion by Parents and Children and explaining what they should do.

THe RFU legal eagles are objecting to the IRB and pointing out the consequences, in terms of potentially banning lots of keen young players from the game.

RGJ promises further news soon

I am going to sit tight and await further news next week.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It's interesting that the clarifcation apparently given by the IRB to the SRU was apparently different to the clarification given by the IRB to the RFU

I just received a response from SRU as follows:

The laws of the game are produced by the IRB and as such I would guide you to the IRB website specifically Law 4 (http://www.irblaws.com/EN/downloads/ ) and Regulation 12 (http://www.irb.com/mm/document/lawsr.../42324_pdf.pdf) these are the laws and regulations which applies in this case with the issue being that the rigidity in the current goggles available make them illegal and there are no goggles currently on the market that have been IRB approved. We have recently sought clarification on this from the IRB as we were aware of the RFU website advice. The clarification was as above ie that no goggles can be worn because they do not meet the parameters as specified in Law 4 regulation 12. There has now been a number of these requests this season and I will communicate with all clubs and schools to remind them of this fact.

I don't envisage swallowing my leggings any time soon.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't envisage swallowing my leggings any time soon.
Note that the SRU's clarification of the iRB's stance would also apply to leggings! So the RFU probably did mean U.8 after all!

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
In Scotland U8 is p3 and that is non-contact - not even into our age grade variations - called micro rugby, so I suspect that normal child's spectacles would be OK for this.

davidgh

Referees in England
Post Likes
[LAWS][/LAWS]
Note that the SRU's clarification of the iRB's stance would also apply to leggings! So the RFU probably did mean U.8 after all!

Dixie, the RFU as per the current website have indeed made a 'dynamic' change in the law to u7-u8 (initally u18 which was a typo) ...... however they realise this is not a wise change and are working on the IRB to correct this situation.

More on Tues/Weds with luck

Jenko

Referees in England
Post Likes
In Scotland U8 is p3 and that is non-contact - not even into our age grade variations - called micro rugby, so I suspect that normal child's spectacles would be OK for this.

Do not let children play even tag with glasses!! Just 'cos it is deemed non-contact doesn't mean that a nasty accident cannot occur due to a collision or fall! The reason for U7-8 on RFU site is because this is non contact and therefore no deliberate contact but if there is the plastic goggles shouldn't cause damage. Once contact starts there is the possibility of the goggles getting tangled in ruck/maul etc.

davidgh

Referees in England
Post Likes
Jenko - if you are trying to create reasons for the goggle ban beyond u8 not to be lifted - you may well succeed!!

Else maybe you would edit out the last sentence

Jenko

Referees in England
Post Likes
Did we get any further clarification on this item from the RFU?

It has been brought up today by a coach at the club regarding a forthcoming tournament that includes a team who have had a player who has worn goggles in past seasons!

MiniRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
My post number 74 (from October) is still valid - I still await RFU confirmation (I have the email trail safe) and so I continue to "sit tight" - which I take as my permission to allow an U9 to continue to wear goggles.

Jenko

Referees in England
Post Likes
What about an U16? (The reg did state earlier this season upto 18)

davidgh

Referees in England
Post Likes
I got no further response from the RFU refs department.

The child concerned gave up rugby partly beause of the ill feeling caused by the mis-handling of this and another regulatory situation.

We now have no goggle players, so sorry, I haven't chased

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
My post number 74 (from October) is still valid - I still await RFU confirmation (I have the email trail safe) and so I continue to "sit tight" - which I take as my permission to allow an U9 to continue to wear goggles.

have you not had a referee at an away game (ie not from your club), ask for the goggles to be removed?

Also, if you never hear from the RFU at all, and given the regulation say U8, will you let the child wear goggles next season as an u10? what about u11? u12, u13, U14? adult? How will you decide what your club cut-off is ?

MiniRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
No ref has objected at any point in the season. In fact I witnessed the last 10 minutes of an U13 game this season where I noticed a player weariing goggles! Ref is ELRA qualified.

We now have a no goggles policy for all ages above the U8 group, and enforce this. The only exception is the existing U9 player who was already wearing them. The parent will be persuaded of forthcoming RFU changes (!) such that he/she needs to sort out contact lenses over the summer. So, by next season, we will allow for U7 and U8 only.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
it's tough ruling, I know.
they have trouble getting contacts for such a young age - my son couldn't get contacts until he was 13, I think it was.
he never had goggles, he just put up with not seeing so well.

Of course contact lenses themselves are not, technically, legal (you are only allowed to wear the items listed in the laws, and lenses don't feature).

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Jenko

Referees in England
Post Likes
Sorry to drag this one up again but the new Reg 15 (Draft of which I think was sent out to clubs today 13th June 2012) has the following

15.13.3 Players in age grades U7 to U8 only may wear specially designed and manufactured
“goggles” provided the player’s optician certifies that:
(a) They only allow the player to have properly corrected vision and do not
substantially restrict any normal field of vision; and
(b) They do not constitute a physical danger to the wearer or other players.
Note: The RFU has applied to the IRB for a dispensation to permit U7s to U12s to wear
goggles and the RFU hopes to be granted this approval in advance of next Season.