Change to Regulation pertaining to wearing Goggles.

Jenko

Referees in England
Post Likes
The wearing of approved goffles to coreect sight used to be allowed within the continuum (ie to age 12). It appears to be now allowed to age 18.

15.7.5 Players playing age grades U7 to U18 only may wear specially designed and
manufactured “goggles” provided the child’s optician certifies that:
(a) They only allow the player to have properly corrected vision and do not
substantially restrict any normal field of vision.
(b) They do not constitute a physical danger to the wearer or other players.

http://www.rfu.com/TheGame/Regulations/~/media/Files/2010/TheGame/Regulations/RFU Regulation 15.ashx

Does anybody know when that changed??

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
[LAWS]15.7.5 Players playing age grades U7 to U18 only may wear specially designed and
manufactured “goggles” provided the child’s optician certifies that:
(a) They only allow the player to have properly corrected vision and do not
substantially restrict any normal field of vision.
(b) They do not constitute a physical danger to the wearer or other players. [/LAWS]

(b) is a bit subjective isn't it? Does that mean it's up to the referee?

Jenko

Referees in England
Post Likes
The optician has to confirm a & b as I read it.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The optician has to confirm a & b as I read it.

How does the optician know if "They do not constitute a physical danger to the wearer or other players. " Especially if he has never played rugby?

:confused:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
thoughts...

* is it a typo? U18 should in fact be U8? Or in fact is just an accident and should still be U12 (so in fact a typo!)
* certainly when it was ctnm only there was in fact IIRC only one approved manufacturer so the "up to the optician" bit was redundant. This may naturally have altered.

didds

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
thoughts...

* is it a typo? U18 should in fact be U8? Or in fact is just an accident and should still be U12 (so in fact a typo!)
* certainly when it was ctnm only there was in fact IIRC only one approved manufacturer so the "up to the optician" bit was redundant. This may naturally have altered.

didds

I would doubt it's a typo, would seem useless to only allow 2 ages of rugby this assistance.

With point 2, I'm sure there are other sports that have the same, so the optician would be aware enough to provide a sports pair of goggles.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Does anybody know when that changed??
I wrote to a club committee following a tournament last year, quoting the regulation that meant their U.14 player was playing in illegal goggles (I wasn't reffing). So this is new for 2011.

With point 2, I'm sure there are other sports that have the same, so the optician would be aware enough to provide a sports pair of goggles.
I believe these goggles were designed for, and originally worn when playing, squash. There's a big difference between that game and ours! There aren't many other games played with players in quite such frenetic proximity as ours.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
News to me re the goggles up to U18. Must be this season.

Will get clarification.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Just a little nudge to keep it at the forefront of people's mind. We are awaiting clarification through ST's contacts.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
my understanding of the logic of the 'old' rule (or existing rule if that was a mistake) was that it's to do with contact lenses. Children aren't normally allowed to wear contact lenses until approx age 12 or 13 and I think the idea was that rather than exclude children of that age with bad eyesight completely from rugby -- allow goggles. Then when old enough for contacts, ban goggles.

I can't find any reference to that argument, so perhaps it's a myth, but it seems logical.

In six years of mini and midi rugby I have only ever seen one pair of goggles.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
my understanding of the logic of the 'old' rule (or existing rule if that was a mistake) was that it's to do with contact lenses. Children aren't normally allowed to wear contact lenses until approx age 12 or 13 and I think the idea was that rather than exclude children of that age with bad eyesight completely from rugby -- allow goggles. Then when old enough for contacts, ban goggles.

I can't find any reference to that argument, so perhaps it's a myth, but it seems logical.

In six years of mini and midi rugby I have only ever seen one pair of goggles.

I have :pepper:

so would like an update as i'm now in the dizzy heights of u13's !!!

by the way reffed my first 13's game on sunday and gave 1 PK :biggrin: in the whole game!

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I reffed my first 13's game on sunday and gave 1 PK :biggrin: in the whole game!
:wow: You do know that the game is now played in 25 minute halves, right?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have :pepper:

so would like an update as i'm now in the dizzy heights of u13's !!!

by the way reffed my first 13's game on sunday and gave 1 PK :biggrin: in the whole game!

the very first U13 league game that we played we got a YC... So far as I recall, we didn't see another one all season...

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I believe these goggles were designed for, and originally worn when playing, squash. There's a big difference between that game and ours! There aren't many other games played with players in quite such frenetic proximity as ours.

They are also common in basketball, a much tougher game than squash and with a lot of body contact.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...49&cid=CSE:&cid=CSE:GooglePlusbox&003=3933188

They have been in use in many forms for a number of years.

The Lakers Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, arguably one of the greatest Basketballers ever to play the game, wore them routinely in the last few years of his career.

Kareem-Abdul-Jabbar_Lipofsky.jpg

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Just a little nudge to keep it at the forefront of people's mind. We are awaiting clarification through ST's contacts.

been a bit busy at work - sorry chaps.

And priority was to get the new Dismissal Report (my contact at RFU has finally got it right !) distributed to Societies - was re-done and finished in June and sat in someone's outbox (seriously embarrassed). Went out yesterday.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

They might - but - like IRB logo'd headgear etc - if they are not on the RFU approved list then they cannot be worn cf: non approved headgear etc.

Certainly in the very recent past there was only one such approved manufacturer. Your optician could give jonny anything he wanted but jonny couldn't wear them in games (and so in effect training for insurance purposes) unless they were from the ONE manufacturer.

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
They might - but - like IRB logo'd headgear etc - if they are not on the RFU approved list then they cannot be worn cf: non approved headgear etc.

Certainly in the very recent past there was only one such approved manufacturer. Your optician could give jonny anything he wanted but jonny couldn't wear them in games (and so in effect training for insurance purposes) unless they were from the ONE manufacturer.

didds

how can someone find out who that manufacturer is then?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Query whether this is in fact the case. The goggles are not permitted in adult games because they are NOT iRB-approved. The RFU has varied the adult rules for U.18 rugby (as it is permitted to do), allowing by variation an unapproved item - to whit, sports goggles. The criteria are set out in new reg. 15.7.5, and require that an opticial certifies them as safe for the sport. If you've got your chitty from the optician, you're in - irrespective of make and/or model. That gives rise to a secondary question: if the player has his chitty and you are looking at a set of hard plastic specs that appear to have sharp edges, can you deny permission for them to be used in a game? I'd say yes - as the referee, safety (particularly of children) is your primary concern.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Query whether this is in fact the case. The goggles are not permitted in adult games because they are NOT iRB-approved. The RFU has varied the adult rules for U.18 rugby (as it is permitted to do), allowing by variation an unapproved item - to whit, sports goggles. The criteria are set out in new reg. 15.7.5, and require that an opticial certifies them as safe for the sport. If you've got your chitty from the optician, you're in - irrespective of make and/or model. That gives rise to a secondary question: if the player has his chitty and you are looking at a set of hard plastic specs that appear to have sharp edges, can you deny permission for them to be used in a game? I'd say yes - as the referee, safety (particularly of children) is your primary concern.

I think this is a good question, and not completely clear.
The safety question has to be looked at from two points of view
- safety of the wearer. If the wearer has a chitty and - let's say - parents present, do you as ref have to make your own assessment, or can we say that the player and hisparents have accepted any risk
- saftey of other players. This is perhaps where the referee's judgement is more important. Is it safe for other players?