ebola virus & haka. Why is there no vaccine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Basketball = Tall Blacks ...... Brilliant !

Potentials?

Skydiving team = Fall blacks
Biplane display team = Stall blacks
Poker team = Call blacks
Squash team = Off the Wall blacks

?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Badminton = Black Cocks

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It's an ad-hoc haka made for them to dance

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-bay-today/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503460&objectid=11316429

EDIT: A haka, is it danced or performed?

Its performed as it is a challenge, not a dance (unlike Morris Dancing).

Also, just because it was created specifically for them does not mean it is "ad hoc"; its called "Tu Kaha o Pango Te Kahikatea", with a reference the native white pine tree "kahikatea".

Haka are not dreamed up out of whole cloth or thrown together in an ad-hoc fashion. Every high-school rugby team in NZ has it own unique haka, and all the pupils are taught it and its meaning. A mass haka can be very inspiring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDaYWw68TXo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY3RSCWxzVI

PS: I don't get the tie in with ebola virus vaccine.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
oh no...I just found nz doing the haka before a baseball game.

is that the norm in ball?

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Softball, yes. Baseball? Do we even play that?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
PS: I don't get the tie in with ebola virus vaccine.

One is an insidious scourge that mankind should wipe from the face of the earth.

The other is a virus.

:)

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I just think the haka is over done. I appreciate it's cultural significance and it's traditional links to rugby and the All Blacks, but it seems like a haka is performed for anything and everything from a kindergarten graduation ceremony to a shopping mall opening. It devalues the impact and importance of the haka.

I was in NZ for the 2011 RWC and there were haka's being performed left right and center. By the third flash mob haka I had seen on a street corner I was thinking "Ok. I get it already".

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes

As it's always done on the pitch, I'd love to see the water polo version :biggrin:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I just think the haka is over done. I appreciate it's cultural significance and it's traditional links to rugby and the All Blacks, but it seems like a haka is performed for anything and everything from a kindergarten graduation ceremony to a shopping mall opening. It devalues the impact and importance of the haka.

I was in NZ for the 2011 RWC and there were haka's being performed left right and center. By the third flash mob haka I had seen on a street corner I was thinking "Ok. I get it already".

hCA8F47F9.jpg

(msf)

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
One is an insidious scourge that mankind should wipe from the face of the earth.

The other is a virus.

:)

Oh, I see. Too obtuse for me to get without an explanation. Is it anything like the "insidious Aboriginal genocide scourge" that went on for 100 years.

In NZ, we celebrate our indigenous people, and our cultural heritage. We teach the culture, the history and the language in our schools. We have even incorporated the indigenous language into our National anthem. Were not ashamed to expose the things we did in the past and to embrace the healing that as part of our future. I guess being from where you are, you wouldn't understand that

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Oh, I see. Too obtuse for me to get without an explanation. Is it anything like the "insidious Aboriginal genocide scourge" that went on for 100 years.

In NZ, we celebrate our indigenous people, and our cultural heritage. We teach the culture, the history and the language in our schools. We have even incorporated the indigenous language into our National anthem. Were not ashamed to expose the things we did in the past and to embrace the healing that as part of our future. I guess being from where you are, you wouldn't understand that

calm down!

just because something is ancient and indigenous doesn't make it a good thing. Or appropriate for sporting occasions.

I don't mind it, in fact I quite enjoy it whe it's kept short - but I do find it rather tedious that we are required to 'respect' it. It's just a dance...

A haka (plural is the same as singular: haka) is a traditional ancestral war cry, dance or challenge from the Māori people of New Zealand. It is a posture dance performed by a group, with vigorous movements and stamping of the feet with rhythmically shouted accompaniment.[1] The New Zealand rugby team's practice of performing a haka before their matches has made the dance more widely known around the world. .
wikipedia

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
calm down!

just because something is ancient and indigenous doesn't make it a good thing. Or appropriate for sporting occasions.

I don't mind it, in fact I quite enjoy it whe it's kept short - but I do find it rather tedious that we are required to 'respect' it. It's just a dance...

wikipedia

I am deeply offended that a cultural icon and tradition of my country has been equated to that of a virus. Dickie's comments disgust me, and are disgraceful example of bigotry of the worst kind

However, if that is the general feeling of others here; if no-one else thinks that such comments are inappropriate, then I have no place on this forum either.

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
Ian,

I probably shouldn't but I'll jump in asking you to stay on the forum, we've been having some very interesting discussion together on several topics and I'd like to keep reading you here.

A few points on the discussion above:
1. Life and the world we live in are not "Black or White"... It's all a infinite palette of greys...

2. Do I find Dikie's comparison inappropriate?
Most definitely

3. Do I believe there is room to get that offended?
Probably not. It's meant to be humour (at least I hope so). Judge the style and quality of the joke as much as you want but please don't take it at the first level.

4. Personally, I like the "Ka mate, Ka mate" Haka and what (I believe) it means (I've got enough Kiwi mates in SG to have discussed that at length)

5. But I find somehow disrespectful to other teams (and somehow to NZ as well) that opposition teams can't react the way they want (think about France being fined for crossing the middle line for the last WRC final for example).
It's a war dance, it's a motivation, it's a challenge (on top of the heritage it represents) and as such, it should be answered in some way - as some other Islanders do at international level and as Schools do in NZ (as far as I know)
And somehow, you can understand that some nations take that as a specific privilege given to the All Black to impress their opponents before each game...
Would everyone like the French (again), playing accordion and dancing bourée with a baguette before each game because it's "part of their heritage"?

To conclude, despite being a sensitive topic for you (which I can understand), try to keep open to a certain level of debate and sometime poor humour.

And finally, please, re-read your own signature :biggrin:

Friendly yours,
Pierre.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I've a supply of Chill pills, and am happy to post via air mail (free of charge) to any other country where any poster UNILATERALLY insists that any opinion or humour attempt MUST meet their personal barometer of acceptability.

There are loads of examples of pseudo wit, that emanate from typists of all nationalities , including the keyboards of those that quickly take offence.

Any poke at kiwi rugby, should be seen in the same context as when the rest if the world chuckles/jokes and witisizes when Brazil screw up their Football , or Man United lose to Milton Keynes. If they weren't so damned successful then the green eyed wouldn't be hungry to consume opportunities so eagerly.

Brand NZ has clearly encouraged hakaitus into other team sports as part of 'defining' their participation, and with these new sport traditions being newly started no wonder theyre in the firing line for Dickies intelligently constructed and subtle wit.

It actually surprises me that anyone involved with rugby for a lifetime hasn't developed the ability to chuckle at themselves sometimes, or to operate a water off a ducks back approach which is a prerequisite need for most rugby environments I've ever been in.

Or perhaps everyone should agree that NZ are a special case , deserving of special measures & hyper special sensitivities?

Crikey, I read a disciplinary report recently, where the accused cited ' cultural widespread use' as a mitigation for his use of the 'C' word toward another player, did the whole of Ireland get offended by his claim or its authenticity, no of course not, some might though, who cares.

If anyone doesn't believe they have 'form' when it comes to humour, then they are a liar, degree of course is merely subjective.

For the avoidance of doubt, anyone may take the P... Out of any English frailty or Achilles heel, and I won't get personally offended or seek to represent my whole nation, UNLESS it involves my leg length, and then...... That would simply be a 'step too far'

PS, did you hear the one about the ......... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.