Federation Exchange to the USA

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Last picture

Has the bloke on the left lost his car keys?

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
Had an email through about the Aspen Ruggerfest, sounds like it will be an awesome weeked in the mountains...

Quick question. Now I presume that the RFU have some sort of insurance to cover referees on official exchanges? However, about to book my insurance too - any favourites, or anything to look out for in the policy? If not I'll just book my usual annual cover.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Yes Simon - RFU have Marsh Insurance for official exchanges but USA is excluded.

You need normal insurance for accidental death, serious injury, loss of limbs etc, plus if in Aspen perhaps air ambulance as wel as normal medical cover, etc.

The big thing you must check is 3rd party liability insurance and declare cover is for rugby (could be limits or exclusions) which may be classed as dangerous sport. Also may be other USA specific things to do with offciating - I am sure one of the trans-atlantic cousins can help you.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Check with the tournament organizers.

We only get insurance when we register with USA Rugby (called CIPP).
I also have liability cover personally; there isn't, AFAIK, cover simply by virtue of being a member of the referees' society

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thank you all, will contact the Rockies guy for information.

My normal insurance should cover me for anything I do as I usually have 'category something ridiculous' to cover me for ski racing and any kamikazee bomb runs I fancy doing whilst on holiday. Will have to check third party cover though.

ExHookah

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Enjoy.

Just make that your cardio is trained up to a ridiculous level, as you will be contending with some significant altitude.

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
Cheers. Cardio isn't too bad, though I've had the best part of a week taken from my training as I twinged my knee in my first match in the middle last Wednesday...

We think that the insurance should be fine from the RFU too. I contacted the Rockies ref chairman and he contacted the head honcho in the States who then contacted Richard Glynne-Jones :)chin: we've virtually gone full circle) who didn't believe that there was any problem with the RFU insurance on exchange in the USA.

Hopefully I won't have to find out...

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well, we're heading up to Wyoming this afternoon for the first tournament (after we've done the Bud brewery tour). Weather's bloody horrible at the momnent (almost as if I brought it with me)... should be better tomorrow and Sunday though. Had a great couple of days so far, and have already been able to nab some iRB kit off my host! :p

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
you sound quite keen again. jolly good.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Bud brewery - there is a classic oxymoron !

Budwar and brewery - now there is a match made in heaven

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
He meant he visited a toilet in Wyoming :)

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Better Wyoming than an airport toilet in Minnesota...

ExHookah

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Well, we're heading up to Wyoming this afternoon for the first tournament (after we've done the Bud brewery tour). Weather's bloody horrible at the momnent (almost as if I brought it with me)... should be better tomorrow and Sunday though. Had a great couple of days so far, and have already been able to nab some iRB kit off my host! :p

Who is hosting you? I know some great guys in the Rockies society.

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
First tournament went well. I was happy with my first game (though definitely felt the altitude) and wasn't quite so chuffed with the second (but it wasn't that bad). Got to referee one of the finals, so all was not bad. (Also had great fun watching the women's matches - :drool: why can't our female rugby players look like that!?).

Was hosted by Tom Coburn first (what a fantastic guy, and he lives on a golf course!). We were put up in the Bate's Motel in Laramie, WY... Then spent a night with a guy known as 'Taffy' (guess why), then a couple of nights with a chap called Gilligan (who likes throwing himself out of aircraft...) Now in a hotel in Aspen, having played (by my standards) a decent round of golf (by decent, I mean that I scored less than double the course par...) One of the communal apartments overlooks the main pitch (so God help you if you're not in the 22 when a try is scored as at least 10 referees will be watching from on high).

May well come back in the main season to get a chance to referee at the new stadium at Glendale just outside of Denver. What a fantastic facility.

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
PS. Getting away with the age thing in a few establishments - using my RN Temp ID which has the date written in numbers. I'm getting them to read it the American way, as opposed the the proper way.

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
Okay, two days into the Aspen Ruggerfest. Had an enjoyable match yesterday in the over 45s tournament. Felt a bit odd reffereeing it differently to how I normally would. The kicker from the team kicking off even tried to take the kick off from the floor! :D

Making sure we were all using the correct laws (in particular engagement procedures) was fun. After clarifying the engagement the hooker asked, "What about line outs?" Queue quick reply, "Yes, we've still got them," which resulted in the desired laughter. Giving a little longer for things to happen at the breakdown resulted in a couple of scrums in situations that I would otherwise be PKs in a 1stXV match. Importantly they seemed to enjoy it.

Todays match was really very good. A bit one sided, but two teams who just wanted to play rugby. The side that ran away with it (Misfits) had a few internationals in their ranks :wink: . Had two good ARses (one a former USA A Panel ref), and was quite pleased with how I used them. Even better was how very complimentary all the players/coaches and the ARses were - as were a few spectators (one, again, an A Panel ref). What wasn't so good was the assessor who, after the match, proceeded to tell me that I refereed very well but I was shit and slow... :wait: It didn't seem to stop me getting to all the breakdowns before or as the guys were hitting the deck.

My coach back in Gloucester a couple of years ago said something that came back to me - "Sort out your running style. You look bloody slow, but you are getting there - some assessors will look at how you run an assume you are slow." Foolishly, I haven't changed my style - although my last report back home (following ST's kick up the arse) showed that my new 'regime' had led to improvements in my fitness.

Unfortunately, the assessor is trying to recommend (despite admitting my good management and decision making etc) that I don't get an appointment in the Open Tournament tomorrow (meanwhile, a couple of the internationals in the Misfits team were hoping I get their final if they reach it - despite admitting to being harder on them because of their dominance). I had a few people who know what they're talking about who were watching and didn't exactly agree...

Still, I got a couple of good pointers from the assessor - particularly on feeding at the scrum (his pet hate - perhaps because I didn't ping it I annoyed him :wink: ). Something that hadn't been suggested to me before is looking at the SH's feet - where are they in relation to the tunnel and/or the touch lines. If they are to one side, then the ball will go in closer to that side, and if he's at an angle, the ball will surely go in at an angle too.