Fifty point differential

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
To back up Jeff's point, in Daily Mail RBS U.15 match #18 on Sept 15th, Tavistock College beat Stoke Damerel Community College by 61-7 according to the results page on Rugby First (so probably wrong).

ianh5979

Referees in England
Post Likes
Jeff as stated elsewhere the cup game is over at a 50 point differential(i did King James vs Ashville in DM U15 and called the game off at 50-0 in 29th minute of 1st half) the side did not want to continue so the game was over. In other games the sides have wanted to continue but with the law saying the cup game is over we can only continue woth the game as a friendly

jeff

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
IANH1579) You are wrong.) the score will stand if both teams decide to continue the game.
It is only classed as a win at 50 clear points the winning or loseing team decide not to continue.
as i have said i have the 2010/2011 regs to hand.
And there are sbout 4 to 6 fixtures where the scores are well above the 50 clear, on the daily mail results page.

davidgh

Referees in England
Post Likes
Jeff - WRONG is a big word - more likely that it is unclear - I tend to agree with your interpretation

Everybody has the rules to hand

http://www.srrs.org.uk/EN/store/PDFS/Daily Mail RBS REGS 2010.11 FINAL.pdf

1.2 All matches must be played in accordance with the iRB Laws and Regulations, Rugby Football Union Rules and Regulations and ERFSU Rules and Regulations, with particular reference to Under 19 variations specific to each Age Grade.

So the law is not varied for this competition, the point below is just guidance and competition rules and somewhat ambiguous :) , how unusual in rugby law! The Refs responsibilities (and therefore risks) are surely fine as long as he act within the law

6.10 Should a fifty point differential occur at any time during a match, then the Referee will end the match and the result at that time will stand, unless both teams are in agreement to continue.

the 'unless' surely means that if both teams agree to continue the result at that time does not stand, scoring continues, and the match can end at any time provided the differential remains, and the teams agree!

Last edited:

jeff

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Davidgh) I agree with your comment it is slightly unclear but the req's were changed for 2010/2011 and the ( unless both teams are in agreement to continue.) was added.
and the score at full time is taken as the final score.

ianh5979

Referees in England
Post Likes
Jeff, i wasnt specifically talking only about DM cup games but other junior cup competitions

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
different competitions eviently have different rules.

In the Herts-Middx Leagues it is very clear that the score when you reach a 45 differential is recorded and stands as the result.
the match can then continue (if both teams want to) as a friendly with no further scores counting in the official result for the league.

luvreffin

Referees in England
Post Likes
In Lancashire there are no score rules in Junior & Senior Colts leagues.
However, in the Lancashire Cup for u13's to u16's, games are over once a 40 point margin is reached. Scores are only published showing a 30 point margin max ie 55-15 shown as 45*-15. Teams are then encouraged to play a fair play game and gain points towards a fair play trophy at the end of the competition. I reffed one such game and the stronger team gave 6 of their best players to the other side and we played another 30 minutes. The result of that game went the other way and the original losing side went home in a lot better spirits than they would have done after a 40-0 defeat.

davidgh

Referees in England
Post Likes
Guys - this is the Surrey Youth League Approach

1.1 For the purposes of recording a result in The Competition, no team may win by a margin of more than 40 points. If a game reaches a score difference of 40 points, the referee shall suspend the game and call the team managers together. At this point the League match is completed and the Team Managers then agree either to end the game or to continue on a friendly match basis. If they agree to continue this may be in an agreed modified form (e.g. for a reduced time period, with any number of substitutions made), the match is then to be restarted after coaches have had sufficient time to instruct players.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The only time this happened to me as a ref, I asked the captains if they wanted to continue (U16). Looking now at the our league rules they say, like surrey : 'coaches' so I guess I made a mistake. I didn't even think about it: I asked the captains, then told the coaches what was happening.