Fifty point differential

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
It is in the rules of the Daily Mail Cup and also some youth competitions, but I have never come across an U19 League that says that. Maybe at U15 or U14.

:rc: Note to Scrumpox - the PM facility exists to avoid drawing public attention to the Hants Society Chair's lack of familiarity with the applicable rules of the previous (and current) year's County youth tournament. Prepare to buy him many, many G&T's at Alton and elsewhere in recompense.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Originally Posted by Simon Thomas
It is in the rules of the Daily Mail Cup and also some youth competitions, but I have never come across an U19 League that says that. Maybe at U15 or U14.

http://www.hampshirerugby.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=266&Itemid=57

Hampshire Youth Competition Rules (May 2009) Regulation 4306

NEW REGULATION4 Once a 50 margin is reached in any junior county competition as covered by the YMCG the game should end at that point. Sides may continue to play BUT within the proviso that the result stands at 50 and the sides should look to play as friendly the final time allowed if both sides agree.

I am very aware of our CB's Comps Regs. I said the U19 Leagues above, which come under the senior Comps Committee, NOT the Youth Committee and where no 50 point limit exists.

The Youth Committee covers the U16 to U14 Leagues and Seventeens & U13Cups, which I clearly indicated by my comment "Maybe at U15 or U14".

So that is even more G&Ts :wink:

Last edited:

Jenko

Referees in England
Post Likes
Don't believe they have Tanqueray at the club and the tonic is from a mixer tap! Not sure ST would accept that!

Tryer

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Ray TR,
however lets not penalise the stronger side for taking their rugby seriously. That's to say, it's no fun for keen rugby players to have to go sit on the bench, just because the opposition is unable to field a decent team. /QUOTE]

Hope I got the quote thing correct........ I agree with you but....... as a coach I'm here to improve all my players and putting 50 points on someone achieves nothing except send a message to all the other teams that you're quite good...... this can be useful...... but...... I'm more happy, and have done, given the oppo 3 or 4 of my better players...... doing this improves them as they need to work harder and their decisions will usually have to be made under more pressure and for my own team they will also have to work harder as the oppo have been strengthened and they know they won't get given an inch by the teammates on the other side....... when we've done this it's also quite interesting that even though they may be wearing another teams shirt they're still trying to win they aren't there to make up the numbers...... so you don't think I'm hollier than thou there are some oppo teams that there is no way we would do this and I and the players would be more than happy to put in excess of 50 points on but that's usually down to historical reasons and some of them are from before the players were born!!!

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Ray TR,
however lets not penalise the stronger side for taking their rugby seriously. That's to say, it's no fun for keen rugby players to have to go sit on the bench, just because the opposition is unable to field a decent team. "["/QUOTE]
Hope I got the quote thing correct........
You're missing one of those "[" thingies
...I'm more happy, and have done, given the oppo 3 or 4 of my better players...... doing this improves them as they need to work harder
I agree, probaly didn't explain myself very well. Your approach is imposed by the French Union (FFR) from U7 thru' to U13.
I'm not qualified for coaching the older age groups, so not sure if they are under obligation to do likewise in U15, U17, U19.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
This season I have seen three league games reach 45 points difference (I could write another post about league organisers who don't IMO have enough common sense when putting teams in the right divisions!)

In two cases the winning coach, without any fuss, rested his three/four star players, so considerably weakening his team and with that, and the winners undoubtedly losing some focus, the losers then were able to rally - and to me that's how it should be at young levels.

In the other case this didn't happen :mad:

Tryer

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
It should be like the two positive experiences mentioned by crossref....... good on the French but we shouldn't need rules to tell responsible coaches to do this........ the problem with really good teams, and I have one, they can score lots of points but the players are not put under any pressure to perform or make good decisions under pressure...... what happens then is when they do play a good team they have no experience of how to respond and so capitulate....... if we're trying to develop better players we have to give them good competitive rugby....... 50 point wins don't provide that.

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
It should be like the two positive experiences mentioned by crossref....... good on the French but we shouldn't need rules to tell responsible coaches to do this........

We shouldn't, but let's be honest, there are some less-than "responsible" coaches out there.

(Fewer in junior rugby than in mini/midi though.)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
we have had a few threads here before about the referees responsibity as well, in one-sided matches. including

1 - handling gloating/showboating/swallow diving by winning team
2 - stopping clock early
3 - talking to winning coach to suggest some apposite substitutions
4 - even the helpful blind-eye to assist the losing team get a score

(1 put a stop to it)
(2 probably OK in a friendly, not in a league)
(3 possible - but risk loss of face if they refuse)
(4 no, no)

scrumpox2

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am very aware of our CB's Comps Regs. I said the U19 Leagues above, which come under the senior Comps Committee, NOT the Youth Committee and where no 50 point limit exists.

The Youth Committee covers the U16 to U14 Leagues and Seventeens & U13Cups, which I clearly indicated by my comment "Maybe at U15 or U14".

So that is even more G&Ts :wink:
You're very welcome to a G&T Simon. I think my link backed up what you'd said rather than disputed it, sorry if it came across like that. I thought the OP might like to see that the regulation is a competition rule rather than LOTG or U19 variations.

See you when the ban is lifted. :sleep: :sleep:

jeff

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Just a comment) are you telling me that in the daily mail games if a team gets a clear 50 points and both teams want to play on you will end the game early. ?
If so why. ?

ianh5979

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have called games off at 50 point advantage but i always offer the coach and players of the losing side the option to play on. Though i do tell them that the cup game is officially over and they are finishing off the match as a friendly if they want to play on

jeff

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Why do you tell them that it will be played as a friendly if they want to play on ?.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
AIUI the RULES of the competition state that games are to be called no-side at a 50 point margin.

You are not there as a ref to decide whether they are right or not. Just follow the rules.

No brainer IMO.

If not, if/when you ref an U13s game in England why do you stop the clock at 25 minute halves? Why not play the full forty?

*shrug*

didds

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
AIUI the RULES of the competition state that games are to be called no-side at a 50 point margin.

You are not there as a ref to decide whether they are right or not. Just follow the rules.

No brainer IMO.

If not, if/when you ref an U13s game in England why do you stop the clock at 25 minute halves? Why not play the full forty?

*shrug*

didds

Because its a safety issue ;)

As for continuing as a friendly I am all for it, why not, the lads may get something out of it. The result and cup game will be over at X-X but they can keep playing.

jeff

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Then maybe those of you that dont know that if both teams agree to carry on then the result will be the final score.
It doesnt state in the reg's that if you play on it is only played as a friendly.

DAILY MAIL RBS SCHOOLS’ COMPETITION REGULATIONS 2010/11
6.10 Should a fifty point differential occur at any time during a match, then the Referee will end the match and the result at that time will stand, unless both teams are in agreement to continue.):wink:

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Then maybe those of you that dont know that if both teams agree to carry on then the result will be the final score.
It doesnt state in the reg's that if you play on it is only played as a friendly.

DAILY MAIL RBS SCHOOLS’ COMPETITION REGULATIONS 2010/11
6.10 Should a fifty point differential occur at any time during a match, then the Referee will end the match and the result at that time will stand, unless both teams are in agreement to continue.):wink:

That also doesnt say the new score will stand? ;)

jeff

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
The score stands please check out the daily mail r.b.s results pages and you will see that the scores are now added.
I was sent the DAILY MAIL RBS SCHOOLS’ COMPETITION REGULATIONS 2010/11
from the r.f.u. as i do the reappointments and have all the reg's to hand.:wink: