French Vets game differences

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Chaps,

I have the pleasure of refereeing a French Vets touring side tomorrow Sunday. I have heard rumour that their scrums are uncontested; can anyone shed any light on this and any other differences I should know about?

Am just off overseas (IOW) for this afternoon's game so will catch up later.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
You can use your TMO for foul play...

:chin:

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
I recall that all non-league rugby in France plays by the iRB U19 scrum laws. Same as in Scotland. Never head anything about them being uncontetsted, but Vets have a habit of making it up as they go..... Sure that's well within your ethos too Mr Deeps! :wink:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Chaps,

I have the pleasure of refereeing a French Vets touring side tomorrow Sunday. I have heard rumour that their scrums are uncontested; can anyone shed any light on this and any other differences I should know about?

Am just off overseas (IOW) for this afternoon's game so will catch up later.

Presumably if they were playing in England, English regs would be used. that said, at vets IME the teams/skippers agree what will/won;t happen and of course you can adapt up to the line of "allowable" regs anyway. If the French vets never contest in France you could call that for safety you will insist on uncontested scrums naturally.

didds

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Didds

A quick call to your own Society management might have been quicker !

The Le Havre Vets fixture at Havant is a late re-appointment, as you know.

Having refereed St Lo and Rennes at the Jersey Vets tournament, and other French teams at New Milton and Trojans in last few years, all were very comfortable with full scrumming. However expectation was U19 Laws - 45 and 1.5m, etc.

I suggest you agree it all with skippers pre-match (which is what you will do anyway). The Mariners will of course want full on scrums.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Didds

Having refereed St Lo and Rennes at the Jersey Vets tournament, and other French teams at New Milton and Trojans in last few years, all were very comfortable with full scrumming. However expectation was U19 Laws - 45 and 1.5m, etc.

I suggest you agree it all with skippers pre-match (which is what you will do anyway). The Mariners will of course want full on scrums.

Well thats Didds well and truly told off in public! Of course it was Deeps who asked the question!!!

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
He's a coach.
He deserves to be told off for something!!

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Didds

I found a couple of useful websites and my dear lady wife found some use for her French degree by coaching me in appropriate usage 'But don't show those to any French people, I haven't put the accents in!' I told her no problem as I thought I would stick with my acquired cultured Hampshire.

The match was the climax to an international day where competition had been held right across all the mini and junior age groups. Dads stopped coaching and got ready to play themselves. As was appropriate to the occasion we stood in line in front of the stand filled to capacity and sang our national anthems with gusto; some members even managed both national anthems.

Then the Le Havre side set the tone by passing out large nips of Calvados before kick off, all having agreed previously to contested melees and U19 variations. All went well with quite even levels of skill until some of the Mariners began to take the game a little too seriously and the bin was visited by one member for careless use of the right mitt. Nonetheless, it was a well contested first half, nothing asked nor given, and right on half time the visitors got over the line but failed to convert.

Half time pints of lager were distributed all round from the visitors with more Calvados for chasers; the port was passed unceremoniously by the Mariners. Again, fierce competition was the theme throughout the second half punctuated only by occasional deference to the great god 'Huey'. Play surged from one end to the other without score and with only occasional stoppages. With the Mariners beginning to flag under French enterprising play I was only a little surprised to see one of my Colts suddenly appear on the left wing. I thought this a little unfair as he insisted on using both legs to run. Needless to say, 3 minutes from time he tapped a quick penalty, side stepped twice and was over near the posts. As he teed up to kick the conversion, I had a quiet word and suggested that with only moments to go before time it would do wonders for the entente cordial if he were to slice his kick but, a true Vet in the making, he responded with 'No, we want to win this one' and scored the extra points. At that point the Mayor arrived and with his busy schedule in mind I called time.

Joking apart, I look on these touring side occasions with some trepidation believing them to have any number of dangerous traps waiting for me to fall into. Time, when it came, brought relief not only to my tired feet on the hard ground ( 3 games in three days) but also to my composure. You cannot win as a referee and have to work very hard to keep your officiating ethics sound while working to allow everyone to enjoy themselves.

I had more than one thank you afterwards so it was worth the effort and another scalp to add to my 'international' CV. I have a list of useful phrases should anyone require them.

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
From the official IRB phrase book:
Je vous demande pardon, je ne comprends pas.
Le coup d'envoi est à quatorze heures.
Une bière pression, s'il vous plaît.

However some don't seem quite right:
Pourriez-vous parler plus lentement ?

I would have said:
Veuillez bien parler plus lentement, s'il vous plaît.

I wonder if it was compiled by a French Canadian? His name is Gilles Fabre

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
He's a coach.
He deserves to be told off for something!!

OI!

I'll have you know I scored 100% in my Club TJs test paper yesterday!!

Which was better than one of the refs *cough* on the same course ;-)

didds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Didds

I'm not sure Dave Masters would know any French ;-) [then again, Dave probably does - Dave is ALWAYS right apparently ;-) ]

didds

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Which was better than one of the refs *cough* on the same course ;-)
Which is why refs who ref should deeply respect refs and others who TJ. It is also (at least in part) why elite refs should decline to TJ internationals, preferring instead to give the job to an expert.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Apologies to Didds - my reply at the weekend was meant for Deeps (with tongue in cheek !) - oops and hic hic at the time.

Well done on the TJ course Didds - respect.

And well done Deeps in the match - with calvados and port to contend with also !