Global Law Trials

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Some homework for the next month https://www.world.rugby/the-game/laws/global-law-trials although most of the videos aren’t working for me.

Some new interpretations around latching too, flying wedge redefined but single player latching ok, and an attempt to redefine the jackal as well, need clarity from the videos for this, I think it’s trying to prevent lower leg / knee injuries but dodging the croc roll issue?

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Bit of a mixed bag but some of these are still a mess. Why leave ambiguity with the flying wedge definition, which implies it does not exist in open field play, but then use examples from rucks?

Why have a law which forbids collapsing of a ruck, but specifically allow a Jackler to be “levered” out of the contest?

I like the goal line drop out laws, although it’s funny how the text refers to kicks to be taken without delay, yet the videos show prolonged delay (20 seconds or more) before the kick is made. Seems we need to define “without delay” with a time limit.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Notes to self:

As well as the 50/22 watch for balls being passed back across the half way line (as well as the 22)

Attacking kick into in-goal, grounded by the defender, is now a goal line DO, not a 22 DO

1 latcher ok as long as he stays on his feet.

2 latchers is now called a mini scrum and is illegal?

All the examples of targeting the legs of the jackler were side entry anyway so already illegal?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Notes to self:

As well as the 50/22 watch for balls being passed back across the half way line (as well as the 22)

Attacking kick into in-goal, grounded by the defender, is now a goal line DO, not a 22 DO

1 latcher ok as long as he stays on his feet.

2 latchers is now called a mini scrum and is illegal?

All the examples of targeting the legs of the jackler were side entry anyway so already illegal?

Agree with all of them, think the kick into goal then grounded will catch a few out. It also means we're legitimising the croc roll (before it was arguably illegal in a couple of areas but never penalised), so now an officially sanctioned tactic - always nervous of this in junior rugby.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

note to defender: make sure you kick or carry it over DBL and avoid grounding it

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
note to defender: make sure you kick or carry it over DBL and avoid grounding it

Is that something they've missed whilst drafting the law or has that been happening during the initial trials?

Otherwise all seems logical and the clarification around latching is very welcome.

Flish's point resonates and I hope they ban croc rolls in the U19 variations but not sure they will. I'm also uneasy about the legalisation of cavalry charges, particularly in youth rugby, but appreciate others think it is fine.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Is that something they've missed whilst drafting the law or has that been happening during the initial trials?

From the wording of the law that seems to have been intentional.

[LAWS]Other restart kicks (drop-outs)

Play is restarted with a 22-metre drop-out when, apart from at a kick-off or restart kick, the ball is played or taken into in-goal by an attacking player and is made dead by an opponent.

Play is restarted with a goal line drop-out when:
- The ball is played or taken into in-goal by an attacking player and is held up by an opponent.
- An attacking kick, other than a kick-off, restart kick following a score, drop goal or penalty attempt, is grounded by the defending team in their own in-goal.
- An attacking player knocks on in the opponents’ in-goal.[/LAWS]

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
It certainly does seem intentional although I'd be interested to understand why they thought the distinction was necessary. Unless you were competing to get to the ball first it seems obvious to kick it out and get the drop out 22m further upfield.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Flish's point resonates and I hope they ban croc rolls in the U19 variations but not sure they will. I'm also uneasy about the legalisation of cavalry charges, particularly in youth rugby, but appreciate others think it is fine.

I've asked the question as to whether this applies to the age grade laws in RFU land as normally we take U19 laws and uphold them unless specifically told different. The WR site just says 'All Competitions', although there is a suggestion that the RFU can cherry pick which bits to trial.

I have no problems with the 50:22 in junior rugby if they can pull it off, but I don't think the problems the other trials are trying to prevent exist there, and it may create new ones, so hoping they are not applied.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
50/22 and the goal line drop out are definitely going ahead from August 1st in RFU land, but haven seen anything from them yet regarding the latching and jackling.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
It certainly does seem intentional although I'd be interested to understand why they thought the distinction was necessary. .

having had a think about it - and given the obvious thing as a defender is to make it dead over a DBL or TIG to gain a 22 d/o - maybe the thinking is to "reward" the attackers for creating pressure inside the in-goal such that a defensive grounding is the only option available to the defence?

thats the best I can come up with!

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
So it is still an attacking 5m scrum; if the defending team carry or pass the ball into in-goal and make it dead or its held up, or a knock-on into the in-goal, or brought in by the attackers and made dead other than a touch down?

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The distinction between grounding the ball and running it into TIG or beyond the DBL is odd. In the 5th video (Hurricanes/Crusaders) Barrett could have gained himself a 22 by running two steps to his left. Is that really what they wanted?

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
having had a think about it - and given the obvious thing as a defender is to make it dead over a DBL or TIG to gain a 22 d/o - maybe the thinking is to "reward" the attackers for creating pressure inside the in-goal such that a defensive grounding is the only option available to the defence?

thats the best I can come up with!

Agreed. It will (after a while) become the default option for Defenders.

Also an opportunity to waste another minute to collect the ball from halfway down the next field and get it back to the 22.:D

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
In the last video on 1-player latching, they forgot the clear definition of a 'Defender'!

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I think you are missing the subtle difference between 'Defender' and the Law Book defined term 'Defending Team'.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think you are missing the subtle difference between 'Defender' and the Law Book defined term 'Defending Team'.

i think the Law book needs to remove that definition (not even WR use it consistently) and re-define defenders to mean 'not in possession' and just say 'in your own half' for the other thing.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The Times - new laws

interesting in the Times today - on new Laws
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/world-rugby-reforms-seek-to-save-rugby-from-oblivion-dxm93hm3f (Paywall)

in amongst discussion of familiar items like 50/22 etc I spotted these - I don't think I have seen these before?

Tighter clear-out restrictions at the breakdown. Players clearing out can no longer target the lower limbs of the jackaller. This would prevent the kind of incident that led to Jack Willis, the England flanker, rupturing his anterior cruciate ligament in the Six Nations.

● Outlawing the “flying wedge”. This will end the practice of pods of three or more players being bound prior to receiving the pass. The new laws will stipulate that only one person can latch on to the ball-carrier, providing the support player remains on their feet.

the Flying Wedge question is something we have discussed so many times !

Last edited:

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I wonder if somebody is going to define a new signal for goal line drop out? I saw one ref make one up with both arms outstretched.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I wonder if somebody is going to define a new signal for goal line drop out? I saw one ref make one up with both arms outstretched.

For a 22 drop out you point to the 22.

Now how could you use that signal by pointing somewhere to indicate a GL drop out :chin: