Goal kicking

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think there is a propensity imbalance now that players can regularly kick goals from halfway

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Not quite sure what you mean by propensity but if players can kick the that is a skill and should get rewards.

I have more issue with the fact that a contentious penalty decision by the same ref 2 weeks in a row that decides the game.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Doing backflips is also a skill but doesn't get rewarded. Changing shots on goal from place kicks to drop kicks would increase the skill required.

Dixpat

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Not quite sure what you mean by propensity but if players can kick the that is a skill and should get rewards.

I have more issue with the fact that a contentious penalty decision by the same ref 2 weeks in a row that decides the game.
What was contentious?

Has there been any vision from BOK's side of the scrum as what was played in the feed I saw was all from the other side?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes

Oh here we go.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

propensity​

/prə(ʊ)ˈpɛnsɪti/
noun
an inclination or natural tendency to behave in a particular way.

Anyway, my point is that, because ball & ground quality has improved so much over the years, and the advent of kicking tees, and improved fitness, strength & technique of kickers, it is relatively easier for kickers to be successful from further out and that is to the detriment of the game. I'd like to see this redressed by either reducing the value of PGs or making it more difficult to kick PGs (eg raise bar or narrow posts).

Feel free to start a new thread bagging BOK. And look on the bright side ... Barnes will prob get a run next weekend ;)

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Don't worry bud, I'm sure you've won the World Cup morally, just like the Ashes

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
We haven't heard much from @shebeen in the last few days... He is normally here to review the ref performance after a springbok game :)

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Would it be an idea to follow Football?

They have Freekicks and if these occur inside the "penalty area" a kick at goal "Penalty" is allowed. Perhaps rugby could do similar? For example only Penalties in the 22 and between the 15 lines see a shot at goal allowed. Otherwise it is a free kick.

Jut a thought. Not really considered all the implications but I agee with the OP something needs to be done.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

What was contentious about this penalty (From an English POV)?

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
In terms of range, players have been kicking long goals for over 30 years now. According to The Font of All Truth (Wikipedia), Paul Thorburn kicked the record international goal at 70 yards 8 and a half inches (64.2m in new money) against Scotland in 1987. And didn't France have a massive cannon around that time too? Seems like range has - if anything - decreased a bit since those days.

But OTOH it does seem like the big RWC games are heavily dependent on penalty and drop goals.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I quite like that, but guess the simplest thing would be to reduce a PK 2pts

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Why not change the ball to make it more difficult? Just as they have done in other sports.:)

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

propensity​

/prə(ʊ)ˈpɛnsɪti/
noun
an inclination or natural tendency to behave in a particular way.

Anyway, my point is that, because ball & ground quality has improved so much over the years, and the advent of kicking tees, and improved fitness, strength & technique of kickers, it is relatively easier for kickers to be successful from further out and that is to the detriment of the game. I'd like to see this redressed by either reducing the value of PGs or making it more difficult to kick PGs (eg raise bar or narrow posts).

Feel free to start a new thread bagging BOK. And look on the bright side ... Barnes will prob get a run next weekend ;)
Tautology then:
Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 09.46.35.png

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
My points and I'll leave it there:
  1. A really soft try, Vunipola and Farrell both ball watching rather than matching up with the attackers.
  2. Why was the scrum given @73:58? See Smith's input!
  3. Why when you can see the tight head setting up squint, right in front of you, does he feel that going to knee was the first issue and give a penalty when the previous attempts to set the scrum were scrubbed.
  4. It took over 2 mins playing time between award of scrum and penalty. Why?
  5. Immediately previous scrum from mark called in 22 @72:19, England were dominant and going forward went to ground, no action!
These were, to me, key areas where again BOK put off making a decision which bring the focus on the one he does eventually make. Yes England should have had the ability and nous to manage the game to closure but the game plan was all about kicking still!

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Doing backflips is also a skill but doesn't get rewarded. Changing shots on goal from place kicks to drop kicks would increase the skill required.
Brilliant let's see if we can get it added to the laws as a method of scoring:rolleyes:

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Why not change the ball to make it more difficult? Just as they have done in other sports.:)
Different ball for kicking or for the entire game?

Being able to control the random behaviour of the ball is again a well developed skill, eg spiral passes, spiral kicks, low-level punts, drop kicks, line out throws, changing the ball, shape, weight, size would influence all aspects of the game, that would be an interesting experiment.

Steward sliced the kick that he was then judged to have knocked on, leading to the scrum, so the variability remains and when skills are poorly executed, it goes wrong and can be very costly.

Last edited:

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I quite like that, but guess the simplest thing would be to reduce a PK 2pts
Try points have already been pushed to 4 and then 5 and bonus points added to make scoring tries more attractive, do we keep tinkering with this?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Try points have already been pushed to 4 and then 5 and bonus points added to make scoring tries more attractive, do we keep tinkering with this?
Maybe missed kicks at goal (penalty and drop) should be treated like kicks in GP. If the kick goes dead, scrum at the mark

Harry

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
How about 2 points for a place kick penalty and 3 for a drop kick penalty ? It could speed things up