Great game spoiled by last 2 minutes

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I've only just looked at the Huntingdon link - it says "Stags robbed at Derby-Updated" - don't know whether any words have been changed from the original.

upnunder

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
They didnt update it- but put that headline in on Sunday, then published the report yesterday.

the game was recorded, and I have asked for a copy, but not sure what the quality will be like, it was raining pretty hard.
I have reported this through our disciplinary committee, and have their support as well.
Coach thought I got the decision right at the time, and on reflection still thinks that. I agree with him. I am happy to stand by both the PT and the red card.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
They didnt update it- but put that headline in on Sunday, then published the report yesterday.

the game was recorded, and I have asked for a copy, but not sure what the quality will be like, it was raining pretty hard.
I have reported this through our disciplinary committee, and have their support as well.
Coach thought I got the decision right at the time, and on reflection still thinks that. I agree with him. I am happy to stand by both the PT and the red card.

Isn't great to have a coach there at a game like this!
Hope it doesn't put you off

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Isn't great to have a coach there at a game like this!
Hope it doesn't put you off

I disagree. I had a dreadful game when I was starting out which I abandoned after a couple of red cards and general loss of discipline / self control on the part of the players. I was very glad to have the support of a referee coach.
Obviously, if the coach thinks you've made a right Horlicks of things it's not so good for him to be there, but that does not appear to be the case in this instance.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I disagree. I had a dreadful game when I was starting out which I abandoned after a couple of red cards and general loss of discipline / self control on the part of the players. I was very glad to have the support of a referee coach.
Obviously, if the coach thinks you've made a right Horlicks of things it's not so good for him to be there, but that does not appear to be the case in this instance.

I think Toby made a typo.
I think he meant to imply "isnt it great..........".
Not "it isnt great............".

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes

Thanks Phil - you are right, a typo it was.

I would be very grateful of a friendly face in a situation like up and under faced (regardless of quality of the call I made).

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Thanks Phil - you are right, a typo it was.

I would be very grateful of a friendly face in a situation like up and under faced (regardless of quality of the call I made).

Ahhhh - that makes more sense. I withdraw my disagreement.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
i think this is a good point

and sent their coach to the stands in the first game for abusing me.
If the coach is that bad, how can he expect his players to behave differently

at age goup levels I would say without exception the worst behaved teams have the worst behaved coaches.

at adult levels only one of the trams I have reffed so far even had a coach :(

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
My my. They have been unlucky with refs this season.

Cut and pasted from their first match reports;

...ON's to win the scrum and with a blatant block missed by the official ON's scored and converted a try to make the score 7-7.

Two lineouts occured close to the ON's line but with the referee allowing ON's to join a maul from pretty much anywhere they liked Stags failed to control the ball and were unable to convert pressure into point

With the referee slowly losing control of a competitive fixture Lee Osborne was sin binned and Paviors were able to take advantage of the extra man to brush off more weak tackling to score in the corner, 17-36

but errors, turn overs and strange referee decisions combined to prevent them gaining that all important fifth try.

The conversion made it 10 – 0 and not too long afterwards it became 13 – 0 as Stags were to adjudged to have pulled down a well executed rolling maul. (OOPS, WASN’T THIS WHAT THEY DID AT THE DERBY GAME TOO?)

a combination of a poor Stags performance and a referee clearly some way out of his depth left Stags thankful for a last minute Dan Malem penalty to secure them a losing bonus point.

who would get the penalty as the official penalised one side after the other without anybody really understanding what they were penalised for. This concluded with Murohy Hill being penalised for deliberately knocking the ball backwards!!

To his credit the official apologised after the game and said he would be seeking support from the refereeing society in helping him improve his performance. (REALLY?)

...but the official decided that yellow cards for technical infringements were not the order of the day.

With the game becoming increasingly fractious due to the officials poor handling of the breakdown prop Steven Chandler and the Coalville No 4 were sinbinned following an off the ball altercation. It appeared to most that the referee took the easy option in yellow carding both players and ignored the cheap shot by the Coalville No 6.

Huntingdon produced their best performance of the season only to be cruelly denied a victory by one of the worst refereeing decisions seen in recent years

The defence held firm and with the pretty much stationary maul going to ground the referee decided that Stags had collapsed it and awarded a penalty try. I think it is fair to say that pretty much everyone in the ground was stunned at this decision not least the Derby officials behind the posts!

to make matters worse the official then sent off Doug Bentley for match official abuse. Doug did indeed question the decision but in no way abused the official and the club will be supporting Doug in any way we can to get the decision overturned. It was clear to all that the referee had lost his nerve at this point, having made a terrible decision, and completely overreacted.
It is a shame the referee did not share their decency and his attitude towards the whole event in the bar afterwards was disappointing to say the least!

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
This needs to be dealt with.

Hopefully this bad experiance for up and under will cause this to happen.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Hah!. I actually read it as "Isn't it great..." when I read it the first time.

Stuartg

Referees in England
Post Likes
I've only ever given 2 red cards in 30+ years refereeing. Both to the losers in this game.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
I see similarities with the Grove RFC reports we discussed last season. The infamous John Sevier and his "quality" reporting. To my mind he was handled far to lightly.

These people need to be sorted out now.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Both have posted on twitter about the standard of officiating needing improving.

which is a perfectly valid aim, and should be applauded. indeed my club blazers often talk about the same thing. the question is how they are going to assist with this.