Great game spoiled by last 2 minutes

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
1 week for that :chin: sems a bit of a let off even more so that he pleaded not guilty!!!

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Disappointing sanction given that ref abuse is THE biggest obstacle to new recruits/volunteers.

Does anyone have access to the recommended sanction list with 'levels' according to seriousness? As I understand there is no system for appealing a 'lenient' sanction and you will have to live with the result, but at least your society can make their views known to the disciplinary people. :mad:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Disappointing sanction given that ref abuse is THE biggest obstacle to new recruits/volunteers.

Does anyone have access to the recommended sanction list with 'levels' according to seriousness? As I understand there is no system for appealing a 'lenient' sanction and you will have to live with the result, but at least your society can make their views known to the disciplinary people. :mad:

http://www.rfu.com/~/media/files/thegame/regulations/rfu_regulation_19_appendix_2_2013

Verbal abuse of match officials. LE=6 weeks, ME=12 weeks, TE=18+ weeks.

Guidance Note 2.1 in Annex 5 to Regulation 19 says:

1. When undertaking an assessment of a player’s offending conduct disciplinary panels must apply the criteria in RFU Regulation 19.11.8.

19.11.8 says:

19.11.8 A Disciplinary Panel or single Judicial Officer shall undertake an assessment
of the seriousness of the Player’s conduct which constitutes the offending and
shall categorise the offence as being at the lower end, mid range or top end of
the scale of seriousness in order to identify the appropriate entry point for
consideration of a particular incident(s) of Foul Play, where such incident(s) is
expressly covered in Appendix 2. Such assessment of the seriousness of the
Player’s conduct shall be determined by reference to the following features:
(a) Whether the offending was intentional or deliberate;
(b) Whether the offending was reckless, that is the Player knew (or should
have known) there was a risk of committing an act of Foul Play;
(c) The gravity of the Player’s actions in relation to the offending;
(d) The nature of actions, manner in which offence was committed including
part of body used (for example, fist, elbow, knee or boot);
(e) The existence of provocation;
(f) Whether the Player acted in retaliation and the timing of such;
(g) Whether the Player acted in self-defence (that is whether he used a
reasonable degree of force in defending himself);
(h) The effect of the Player’s actions on the victim (for example, extent of
injury, removal of victim Player from game);
(i) The effect of the Player’s actions on the match;
(j) The vulnerability of the victim Player including part of the victim’s body
involved/affected, position of the victim Player, and the ability to defend
himself;
(k) The level of participation in the offending and the level of premeditation;
(l) Whether the conduct of the offending Player was completed or amounted
to an attempt; and
(m) Any other features of the Player’s conduct in relation to or connected with
the offending.
Based on the assessment of the offence(s) under consideration against the
above features of offending, the Disciplinary Panel or single Judicial Officer
shall categorise the act of Foul Play as being at the lower end, mid-range or top
end of the scale of seriousness of offending and identify the applicable entry
point as set out in Appendix 2.

I have to say that an 85% discount from the Lower End suggests that the Disciplinary Panel thought the ref had hugely over-reacted. I thiunk we should remind ourselves of Post #1, and ask ourselves whether this was really low-end abuse, and if so whether an 85% discount is really justified. I would hope that Notts, Lincs & Derbyshire Society would be having very irate words with the members of this panel with a view to understanding exactly why they acted as they did.

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes

In the Netherlands we use the IRB recommended sanction list, so verbal abuse of a match official has a norm of 12 weeks, maximum of 1 year. Unfortunately the manner in which they're listed, as an appendix to our competition rules, means they show only the norm and maximum sanctions but not the entry level sanction.

However, 1 week sounds incredibly low for what the IRB state has a Low End entry point of 6 weeks.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I have to say that an 85% discount from the Lower End suggests that the Disciplinary Panel thought the ref had hugely over-reacted. I thiunk we should remind ourselves of Post #1, and ask ourselves whether this was really low-end abuse, and if so whether an 85% discount is really justified. I would hope that Notts, Lincs & Derbyshire Society would be having very irate words with the members of this panel with a view to understanding exactly why they acted as they did.

That was my point, but as usual you have worded it so much better than i could have :wink:

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
...its not all good news for Huntingdon, they must have had a really terrible referee Saturday just gone to have lost so badly :)

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I would hope that Notts, Lincs & Derbyshire Society would be having very irate words with the members of this panel .

Careful, Panel Abuse carries a minimum of 6 weeks ! :biggrin: