H-Cup final

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Could you have penalised Delon Armitage before he scored his try under law 10.4(m)?

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
I don't think so. He turned expecting to have to hand-off a defender. The afore-mentioned defender has happy just to shepherd him away from the posts. Rugby is a contact sport any defender shying away from a tackle is ridiculous, why would you want to penalise a rugbyman from pointing that out to him?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Anyone see the Twitter exchange between Armitage and Brian Moore over the incident? If you haven't, enjoy...

Moore: "If a player did to me what Armitage has just done I'd have to chin him after the touchdown,"

Armitage: "Anytime you fat p****! Go write another s*** book,"

Moore: "Delon, at least I can write."

FWIW, I think Armitage is a crass douche bag, and I think the referee would have been quite within his rights to YC him after he scored the try. At least the ERC ought to sanction him under 10.4 (m).

This sort of crap belongs in the round-ball sport, not ours.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
FWIW, I think Armitage is a crass douche bag, and I think the referee would have been quite within his rights to YC him after he scored the try. At least the ERC ought to sanction him under 10.4 (m).

This sort of crap belongs in the round-ball sport, not ours.

I think a sanction is going a bit far, given the hypocrisy of citings within elite European rugby.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think a sanction is going a bit far, given the hypocrisy of citings within elite European rugby.

I was thinking sanction rather than banning, i.e. perhaps a three week sanction, suspended on a 12 month good behaviour bond.

If he infringes 10.4 (m) again in the next 12 months, he would be suspended for the three weeks plus whatever he gets for the second infringement.

Edit: Remember, this guy has previous...

Banned for three weeks for punching Stephen Myler (Northampton).
Banned for one week for a dangerous tackle on Chris Paterson (Scotland).
Banned for five weeks for dangerous tackle on Tom Biggs (Bath) and for striking Dave Attwood (Bath) with a knee during in the same game.
Banned for eight weeks for shoving and verbally abusing a doping officer.
Arrested over an alleged assault in a Torquay nightclub which resulted in him being axed from the England Saxons squad in 2012.

Clearly, this player does not learn. IMO, he needs a right royal slamming to explain the situation to him.

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I assume you mean (at about 2.24) the little wave bye-bye and the big smile before he scored the try that enable Wilco improperly to win the HC? Nothing there - move on.

After all I'd read on this Armitage stuff i was expecting 3 ring circus of a taunt ... I have to agree with Davet now i've seen it.

That's not to say that BCM wasn't "wrong" in his tweet ;-)

didds

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Clearly, this player does not learn. IMO, he needs a right royal slamming to explain the situation to him.
That may be true as a general observation, but it would be OTT for this minor incident.

I would say it's not cricket, except that New Zealand have apparently said they plan to sledge the England batsmen in the second test in order to upset their concentration.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
That may be true as a general observation, but it would be OTT for this minor incident.

I would say it's not cricket, except that New Zealand have apparently said they plan to sledge the England batsmen in the second test in order to upset their concentration.
As I understand it, England have put in a special request to the Black Caps to sledge as nastily as they can to prepare them for the upcoming Ashes Tour.

As for the Delon Incident, it is unsavoury and if he isn't slightly ashamed of himself when he sees the replay there is something wrong. Not actionable though.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Moore: "If a player did to me what Armitage has just done I'd have to chin him after the touchdown,"

I don't thing Mr Armitage is the only Rugby player to have goaded the opposition before or after scoring!!!!!

View attachment 2568

What goes around comes around!!

I recall Martin Offiah scoring against Salford in Jiffy's first RL game. MO ran past Adrian Hadley (again) and as AH chased him MO held out the ball to him in one hand - let him close a bit -then put the pedal down and ran off (laughing)!!!

That said MO has more class in his wrist bands than DA has in his whole body!!

Last edited:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I recall that MO did the same ball gesture when he was a young emerging speedster with Rosslyn Park on the London Sevens scene.

I was on the receiving end on a number of times in Middlesex Sevens matches and never got close to him, learning to take a spectacular diving effort at an ankle tap early as possible to avoid a long lung bursting chase. The same attempted tackle technique was adopted when facing Clive Rees and Rhodri Ellis-Jones of London Welsh, who could both go as fast sideways as forwards.

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
take a spectacular diving effort at an ankle tap early as possible to avoid a long lung bursting chase.

That's my tactic when reffing sevens too..

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I don't thing Mr Armitage is the only Rugby player to have goaded the opposition before or after scoring!!!!!

View attachment 2568

BCM also posted the picture that his actions above were in response to - a piece of foul play from the Welsh defender. So not really goading in the picture above.

bcm666

Brian Moore, Ex England International Hooker
Post Likes

View attachment 2568

I recall Martin Offiah scoring against Salford in Jiffy's first RL game. MO ran past Adrian Hadley (again) and as AH chased him MO held out the ball to him in one hand - let him close a bit -then put the pedal down and ran off (laughing)!!!

That said MO has more class in his wrist bands than DA has in his whole body!!

This shows what having a little knowledge does - it makes you look stupid -

Allen knee-drop.jpg

That is what I was angry about - and rightly so - he's lucky I was very disciplined and didn't chin him.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I believe that's game set and match to Mr Moore?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
It wasn't appreciated, hense the post try shove on Armitage [albeit only a minor one]

Ok, so the consensus is Armitage = poor show, but not gone far enough to warrant santions for his 'bye bye' wave.

So .......... what kind of goading would constitute going too far ? historical examples anyone?

Last edited: