Jewelery

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I noticed in the last 10 mins of my last game , that a player had silver ball style tongue stud inside his mouth, right in the centre of the tongue , i'd missed this during the prematch inspection [open wide gents!!!!!!] ........ should I have then made him take it out, what if he couldn't ? are they removeable? any advise

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Yes out it comes.
Safety and player welfare your primary duty.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Yep what ST said, got caught out with that once in a youth game. I spotted it in the PMB (he ws SH) when i asked what it was he said a sweet and he'd swollowed it, showed what appeared to be an empty mouth :shrug: then later in the game i saw it again, i sent him off to remove it! "But i can't take it out" came the reply, "That's fine, don't come back on then!" :wink:

he removed it!

Very dangerous!!!!!

My other bugbare is the "i've been to a festival" wrist band, the ones with a metal clip :nono: "tape it up, or better still remove it"

What would you do if you asked someone to remove an item (forget to check it :redface:) and then see it during the match???

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
What would you do if you asked someone to remove an item (forget to check it :redface:) and then see it during the match???

it's covered in the Laws and it's a RC isn't it?

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I think you're right, it is, but who would give one???

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
it's covered in the Laws and it's a RC isn't it?

Yup... Law 4.5.(c) :norc:

[LAWS](c) If, at an inspection before the match, the referee or a touch judge tells a player that an item banned under this Law is being worn, and the player is subsequently found to be wearing that item on the playing area, that player is sent off for misconduct.
Sanction: A penalty kick is awarded at the place where play is restarted.[/LAWS]

I wouldn't have remembered this though... Thanks :)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think you're right, it is, but who would give one???

Well, I might !

Actually I have seen this come to a crunch only once.
I wasn't reffing.

- a ref failed a boot at the boot check.
- player disappeared to fix it, and finally re-appeared just seconds before the kick off and lined up on pitch
- ref walks over and re-inspects boot - not fixed
- player (and coach) insist the boot is legal, it was allowed last week, blah blah.
- ref hold up his hand and says 'I am walking back to the centre, I am going to start the game, if he's still on the pitch when the ball is kicked I will blow my whistle and give him a RC'
- he walked to the centre of the pitch, paused ----- and they quickly took him off and put someone else on

masterfully done.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
I have had similar to the boot failure. I just said - if it wasn't changed (guessed it wasn't, based on distance to changing room etc), then it was a straight red card. Player didn't start, but did try to come on as a sub, until I asked to check his boots, and suddenly the sub wasn't going off.....

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
at the risk of misquoting others on this forum, who are we to choose which laws to uphold and which to ignore? it's there in black and white, surely...

(i don't think i would issue a red card in this situation. i guess i'm also part of the problem.)

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
If you have asked a player to remove an item before the match and the player gives the impression that they have complied when in fact they havent, then i would red card. If it was something like a tongue stud that you hadnt spotted before then i would just ask them to comply.

A simple thing like a buckle on a pair of shorts could rip someones face off.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Send him off. You've no choice have you? Insurance?

Last edited:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
This subject is indeed a potential minefield ..... as well a tongue stud, what about nipple rings, belly button rings or genital jewellery ......... I can't imagine anyone ever checking these things ! I think ongoing I'm going to ask all players to declare what body jewellery they have & i'm going to mark my score card ..........is that my arse covered?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
presumably this is "manageable" situation? As in, you manage by saying at the pre game checks that the player has to change <THING to be changed> and if he is seen in the match still wearing it the law mandates a red card. Show them the law! Just follow it up with "I've never had to red card anyone for this - yet! - because everyone has always understood.

I see that there is nothing to be concerned about if such occasion does arise then. If its a junior player tell the coach/manager/captain etc as well at the same time.

Now if needed its not you that have red carded them, they have decided to be red carded by you.

???

didds

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Exactly. I reckon your Empathy Meter may need readjusting if you were to :norc: a player for it.
Holy cow! that's an extraordinary statement! Are you serious?

So: we've got a referee who has made a clear and conscious, well-communicated decision regarding the safety of players in the game. The players concerned, and perhaps their coaches also, decide the referee is a pernickity w@nker who can safely be ignored, have his head patted and then have his decision wholly undermined and ignored, because the player's desire to play in dangerous kit outweighs the referee's decision regarding the safety of the other 29 players.

And you, Taff, discovering that you've been played for a moron, decide to empathise with the people who've decided your opinion isn't worth spit. In fact, you actually empathise with the view that you are an unmitigated to$$er who can be ignored at best and utterly undermined at worst.

Where is your empathy for the 29 other players put at risk by the irresponsible attitude of the player (and indeed the "empathetic" ref)?
There is an empathy meter that needs readjusting here - but I think it's yours. I think your definition of empathy is anything that allows you to wimp out of hard but responsible decisions.

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
Dixie, stop beating about the bush and make your point. Get off the fence.

(completely agree with your standpoint though)

woody

Referees in America
Post Likes
This issue came up for me this weekend. My standard pre-match brief covers no jewelry, piercings, headbands (unless tear away), or bracelets. In the second half, I noticed a back still had a plastic headband on. I called her and the captain over and explaind that this was clear, it should not be on and in the letter of the law, it is a red card. I told her to take it off and then I noticed she still had her upper ear piercings in. That was too much. She pleaded they couldn't come out but didn't have a reason why she didn't tape them up.

I haven't had this issue before and then to have a player completely disregard the directive for twice, come on.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
This subject is indeed a potential minefield ..... as well a tongue stud, what about nipple rings, belly button rings or genital jewellery .........

stapled stomach, metal plate in head, pins in broken bone, ...

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Whilst the sentiment is to be admired, the Welsh players wearing rubber wristbands and these being highlighted by the cameras and commentators ( in support of OW) in the commonwealth 7s hasn't done the 'refs consider them unsafe' campaign any favours.

Last edited: