Joe marler and White Boots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
& me,
I'd suggest the same wit/banter exists at all referee levels.

It can get out of hand though (rarely) once I wore a orange shirt which when viewed alongside my tightly clippered head gave rise to a 'tangoman' comment.......... The wit continued from a player from the side I knew best (at PK decision) calling out you've been tango'd !!

The first comment brought a chuckle, the second a "OK player time to drop the joke" and the third he was invited for a chat .

.... "what two colours when mixed make orange player?" ......"Red &Yellow sir" ..... "correct and having asked you to desist, you've continued so he next tango esk comment will see me giving you one of these colours, understood?

"Sorry ref just having a laugh",...... " i know, but it stops now , OK....." .........."Yes sir"

That shirt doesn't come out very often .!

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
AS. Smirk as the scrum was forming was priceless too.
On the kit theme we have a lovely purple and yellow combo. One local clubs pre match notes said we will be in blue and white the opposition will be in red and white and the ref will be in prunes and custard! And as I ran onto the pitch a heard a guy shout *kinhell Ciaran you look like bruised banana! All I could do was smile and agree

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
In my match yesterday, a friendly, there was an injury and I said "time off" and there was an instant chorus from both front rows of "please don't, sir" which waa so spontaneous it made me laugh.. "time back on"

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
I had one the first time I wore my Spintso watch at PMB:
Player (I know him well): it's a big watch for your tiny arm sir!
Me: now you know I can only lift one arm, so don't complain later all decisions go only one direction!

Owen Bisto Taylor

Facebook Member
Post Likes
At least its refreshing to be part of a sport where this can happen between players and officials, whatever the level... unlike the grunts and flailing arms of premiership footballers! :buttkick:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Never underestimate the power of social media for influencing people.

My match yesterday im about to set a scrum and a male voice boomed out from the crowd ......" Are you wearing those boots for a bet ref" .....(orange asics)

I had no idea who'd said it , until after I'd fired back my reply of " I can change my boots, sadly you're stuck with that face"

Then all his mates turning/ poking and laughing at the witty chap, told everyone who it was ......

Both front rows were chuckling " great answer sir, frickin brilliant" said one player

Last edited:

Constantine

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Last week I was asked by one halfback as the scrum was being set "You've got pink boots ref, does that make you a homo?"

I looked at him and just said "No, it doesn't, I was a homo well before I bought these boots."

I think he would have had a smart-arse answer, except it was drowned out by the sound of 16 forwards laughing.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Last week I was asked by one halfback as the scrum was being set "You've got pink boots ref, does that make you a homo?"

I looked at him and just said "No, it doesn't, I was a homo well before I bought these boots."

I think he would have had a smart-arse answer, except it was drowned out by the sound of 16 forwards laughing.

what an amazingly tolerant and culturally advanced rugby scene you have in Auckland - NOT. Or was this halfie an isolated dinosaur ?

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

I would have been very tempted to plant the boot 30cm up his ass.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
I would have replied, they dont make me any better just like that daft haircut you had.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I've no idea how such 'wordings' sit in your part of the world.

But general question to all,

if a player crosses the line ... Do you go straight to RC ?

Is it simply acceptable or unacceptable, or is there ever a case for betwixt (YC)?

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
what an amazingly tolerant and culturally advanced rugby scene you have in Auckland - NOT. Or was this halfie an isolated dinosaur ?

To be fair, it's a more enlightened society than ours was in the 1950s.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes

Anyone else thinking: Straight red card.

I understand it might have been said in jest. But there is no place for homophobia, racism, sexism, in the game, and our level for tolerance should be very low.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

The only thing that will save him is the tone of the statement. Although a retort would be this, "No I'm cromagnum, but you are obviously the missing link"

Constantine

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
It might be worth noting the halfback was fifteen, so there's a chance he'll grow up and look back on the moment with utter embarrassment.

Then again I got told by an assessor last year, and I quote, "I would never wear pink, that's a gay colour"
So maybe not.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It might be worth noting the halfback was fifteen, so there's a chance he'll grow up and look back on the moment with utter embarrassment.

Then again I got told by an assessor last year, and I quote, "I would never wear pink, that's a gay colour"
So maybe not.

That's more offensive than the 15 yo (- as he doesn't know better yet the line between funny and offensive. )

I hope the assessor was a friend of sorts because if not I probably would of said to the assessor "Well no need to worry about what you wear cause we all think you're a p@@f anyway" and I would have walked off and requested than he never be assigned to my games ever again.

Constantine

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Nope, I had never met the assessor before. And since I don't think the best way to battle homophobia is to be homophobic (insulting him by calling him a poof) I just let it hang for a good ten seconds then said in my flattest voice "I don't think frequencies of refracted light have a sexual orientation, actually."

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Nope, I had never met the assessor before. And since I don't think the best way to battle homophobia is to be homophobic (insulting him by calling him a poof) I just let it hang for a good ten seconds then said in my flattest voice "I don't think frequencies of refracted light have a sexual orientation, actually."

What on earth?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Not sure the light was being refracted as much as reflected but I got it.

didds

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Not sure the light was being refracted as much as reflected but I got it.

didds
I think refract is right?

refract

rɪˈfrakt/

verb

verb: refract; 3rd person present: refracts; past tense: refracted; past participle: refracted; gerund or present participle: refracting

(of water, air, or glass) make (a ray of light) change direction when it enters at an angle.

"the rays of light are refracted by the material of the lens"

Status
Not open for further replies.